Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PETER01
Please do not quote photos in this thread.

Most routes are to/from London Heathrow/LHR. Routes to/from London Gatwick/LGW are this colour for easier reference.

Some pictures may only be part of the menu for info.

Current Menus

JUNE - (Wiki updated to post - 528)

BOS - Post 507

IAH - Post 498 Post 517

JFK - Post 491 Post 505 Post 508

SEA - Post 523

SIN - Post 500 Post 509 Post 510 Post 511 Post 512 Post 518 Post 520

================================================== =====

MAY 2024

ATL
- Post 453

AUH - Post 322 Post 324

BOS - Post 465

HND - Post 313

IAD - Post 350 Post 351

JFK - Post 355 Post 366 Post 390 Post 423 Post 461 Post 466 Post 491 Post 499

LAX - Post 312 Post 314 Post 455

MEX - Post 345 Post 485

MIA - Post 331 Post 400

MLE - Post 316

ORD - Post 484 Post 496

PVG - Post 460

SEA - Post 340 Post 341 Post 344 Post 475

SIN - Post 346 Post 430 Post 478

==============================================

APRIL MENUS

AUH - Post 330

DFW - Post 270

DXB - Post 295 Post 330

IAH - Post 244 Post 286

JFK - Post 248 Post 276 Post 285 Post 292

KWI - Post 330

LAX - Post 237 Post 247 Post 262 Post 277 Post 293

MIA - Post 258 Post 279 Post 283 Post 299 Post 303

ORD - Post 289 Post 307

SFO - Post 311

SIN - Post 261

================================================

MARCH MENUS

ATL - Post 173 Post 175 Post 210

BDA - Post 175

BOS - Post 175

CVG - Post 175

DFW - Post 231

EWR - Post 175

JFK - Post 188 Post 198 Post 204 Post 211 Post 224 Post 232

JNB - Post 208

LAX - Post 226 Post 477

MEX - Post 171

MIA - Post 175 Post 182 Post 192

SEA - Post 175 Post 176

SCL - Post 197

SFO - Post 205

SIN - Post 189

YUL - Post 230

Print Wikipost

Long haul in-flight catering 2024 | First

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2024, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

There was talk of a trial on selected routes initially, a while back but nothing has come of it ( IT issues as it was apparently going to be an enhanced version ie option to decline amenity kits?) . It may well be that it is the aim to have preorder but have not heard anything re timescales

Regards

TBS
This is beyond bonkers IMHO. Before COVID BA did indeed enable you to pre-order your mains in F and CW. I seem to remember it was ex London only (not sure about LGW) and maybe one or 2 US stations (JFK perhaps). There was some debate as to whether this should be necessary in F as surely BA would cater enough to keep everyone happy - yeah right....I think a lot of airlines offered this too, and if you think about it, it makes absolute sense in that it keeps passengers happy AND potentially saves the airline money and enables it to claim green credentials for saving waste and reducing weight/fuel.

The downsides were that if passengers changed their minds on the day there might not be another option available; if you pre-ordered it might put you down the list for an upgrade (possible urban myth); onus on the airline to have their ducks in row (not always a given on BA).

Let's face it, BA probably suffered deepest and longest with the effects of the pandemic and certainly took and ages to get 'back to normal'. But for an airline like BA that loves to cut costs above all, how can they justify missing out on this sort of opportunity - especially as it's a cost saving that can be sold as being a) green and b) 'we've listened to your feed-back...etc...etc'

I'll reiterate that I personally don't think it should be necessary in F but because it's BA....

With only 3 choices of main in CW I do think it's vital to get this back asap

Or maybe...BA spend so little on their catering that it's not worth making this change

In any case I do think it reflects badly on them that they can't reinstate something that would appear to be to everyone's advantage.

Last edited by Betteronacamel; May 12, 2024 at 3:29 pm Reason: Grammar
Old May 14, 2024, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
BA178 daytime JFK-LHR

Does anyone have any recent experience of the food on 178? Particularly the second meal? I've seen the post at #423 but it's missing the second menu page and I'm wondering if it's basically sandwich / pasta, or something else.

I'm flying on 2 June, so too early for menus, and I'm trying to decide whether I'll have to order a special meal or, my preference, if I'll find enough that I can eat on the day (subject to usual caveats about what's available / loaded / etc etc)
Old May 14, 2024, 1:20 pm

Programs: Advantage, BA, Hertz, Marriott
ATL-LHR 12th May 2024

crazy8534 likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by infrequentflytalker
Im pretty sure this isnt possible and hasnt been for years? The only pre ordering you can do is to select a special meal in advance.
Not often you hear this but I must be spoiled by American Airlines to be expecting pre ordering on BA long haul
I havent flown BA longhaul in a long time
Usually taking AA ex Dub for pre clearance for example
But Ive a burst of BA long hauls this summer,two of them in F
On all of them,I've plonked myself into row 1 which could mean not too many other golds or higher on the flights ,or they are in the middle seats maybe,hard to know
Old May 14, 2024, 6:04 pm

A bit late with this one, but BA283 LHR - LAX on 2nd May.

My 'first First', and the experience was terrific from start to finish. Personal, friendly service, from a brilliant member of cabin crew - I only had to think about wanting something and she would appear, but was never intrusive or overbearing. Food and drink seemed outstanding to me as a first class newbie.

Photos and menu below:

Canaps were lovely, with a glass of the Lanson Noble - definitely a rich, quite intense champagne. Tasted great, but you wouldn't want too much!

Courgette blossom - delicious and very fresh-tasting

Chicken breast and vegetables - with some lovely zucchini fritti

Chocolate, hazelnut, and raspberry cake - looks very bright and a bit artificial, but tasted great

I was too full for the light meal, so asked if I could just have the cherry custard tart from the main menu - again excellent, tasting almost home-made!
Old May 14, 2024, 9:05 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by NoY
Yes, A380, BA11. Seated in a centre pair. Full in F & busy in J but not so busy elsewhere apparently.
The menu is disappointing - even one of the crew members said to Mrs NoY that she thought the main courses looked uninspiring. I feel that there are some decent dishes if one picks & chooses carefully (& there are enough loaded) but the delivery by the crew did impact the dishes negatively. It's a shame because I believe that they were relatively well intentioned but just poorly trained & managed. It was a bit of a shocker after SQ J let alone First, I must say.

I sincerely hope you have a better experience - please avoid the Omelette though (unless for the sport of it!). Please let us know how you get on.
Just to finish up on this experience - BA have awarded me 33,000 Avios compenation which I have accepted. Case closed. I can only hope for a better experience on my next F flight in September.
Sinnystar74 likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by daimler3996
A bit late with this one, but BA283 LHR - LAX on 2nd May.
Not late at all! Great photos - and glad you got New F. The last 4 JFK-LHR-JFK flights I've had have been "old" F (but very good!)...
86BA7 and daimler3996 like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 4:02 am

Daimler - your food looks stunning - that really would make my own BA First experience in August amazing.
Good fotos too.
Cheers
PETER01, Sealink, cosmo74 and 1 others like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 4:26 am

Thanks both - it really was a fabulous flight, and a considerable step up from Club World.

As regards new v old First, I was quite philosophical - I definitely appreciated the larger TV and more space (possibly?), but was flying with my other half so would have enjoyed trying out buddy dining before it's phased out!
seanp7, Lucanesque and Mathellas like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 2:29 pm

PVGLHR, 13/5/24.

Lanson Noble served lukewarm and without a stopper, and as you can see, water left without being topped up. After a round of roobois tea for me and my partner we were told wed drunk the plane dry! Perhaps I expect too much from First

Starter, hot smoked salmon quite nice with the truffled artichoke cream but the salmon was tasteless.

Main, cajun spiced halibut no spices detected, and the side was just sloppy overcooked watery vegetables. Tasted like grandmas cooking.

Cheese plate hazelnuts seemed out of action but I didnt mind, this was nice!
Sealink and crazy8534 like this.
Old May 17, 2024, 7:22 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

BA173 service to JFK

Welcome drink and nuts

Canapes - switched to the Lanson Rose as I just did not like the Grand Dame

Lobster - as usual good but felt my last time was slightly better

Seafood stew - could not decide between this and the Welsh Lamb so asked the FA to surprise me. Glad she selected this. Flavourful and not too heavy.

Good portion of seafood

Raspberry and chocolate tart

Afternoon tea - too bad the scone was not heated up

Good portion

This was als my first time where I felt service was on the better side. Although still
- no name used only once during initial taking of the menu
- no hot towels offered
- no bottle water offered unless requested

IFM was friendly and did do the rounds of greetings to all GGL and GCH. Majority of them was in business with only 1 in WTP - saw this via the iPad which was left at the service area while waiting for the toilet.

Cheers!
Old May 17, 2024, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
=
- no hot towels offered
- no bottle water offered unless requested
Really? I don't think I've ever been in F without a bottle of water and the hot towel should be served on every long haul flight.

Mind you, last time I was in F (to JFK) I received my nuts in the bag. Much prefer them served in crockery.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 8:43 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
glad someone ordered the seafood stew as ive been wanting to see what that looks like.

a shame the lobster looks a bit sad this time around! i would have asked about the towels though as i like to wipe my hands down after sitting down.
Old May 17, 2024, 3:57 pm
pH

Programs: AA EXP
I am curious if anyone knows the details of champagne catering for First. For example, how many bottles of the "good" bubbly (LPGS, Grande Dame, Lanson Noble) are stocked for the cabin? Does it modulate dependent on pax numbers?

Once the "good" stuff is depleted, do they switch to a backup option?

It has been a few years since I flew F with BA, but am looking forward to a trip next month. As always, I am grateful for your collective wisdom - thank you.
Sealink likes this.
Old May 19, 2024, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Ba213 lhr-bos

BA213 LHR-BOS Saturday 18 May 2024
Menu same as LHR-LAX in post 455 - lunch with a light meal before landing.

Im gluten free, but didnt order a GFML as generally they are a disappointment in F. So I skipped the canaps as two of them were in pastry, and had the cheese with my own GF biscuits.

The new (I think) warmed nuts are a good savoury mix, because I wasnt having the canaps I polished off that dish and the crew brought me a bowl they use for side dish vegetables with loads of nuts in.

Started with the lobster. Not quite as juicy as it might have been down on the ground, but good with the asparagus and cocktail sauce.

Red pepper soup with shredded courgette. As usual for an F soup IME, this really delivered on flavour.

Chicken was dry and disappointing, but the pepper sauce was just the right type of saucy. I didnt eat what looked like samphire tempura (because, gluten).

Vanilla ice cream with raspberries and chocolate.

As the light meal was a choice of two sandwiches I had a cheese plate from the first meal service, minus the biscuits (although had my own GF cheese oatcakes)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.