Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2023, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please do not quote photos in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Long haul in-flight catering 2023 | First

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2023, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Dom Fly
We are flying from LHR to LAX, in couple of weeks on the 3:45pm flight - I am unable to pre-select a meal or see option as when flying CW. This is my first time flying F so not sure if may pre-selection isn't available in F unless an dietary specific meal and just hope they load enough food. I have left an enquiry with You first on sunday after reading on here but have still not got a response and tried to call but just rang for 20mins so gave up.

Anyone done this route or similar recently, what would be on the menu? Like to know so do (under or) over indulge in the lounge before (not that the current CCR menu has too many options!)

I am in 2k on the A380 incase they don't load much food which i have seen has been the case on this route in the 2022 page, will the crew be taking orders from row1 even if the galley is behind?
I have only ever been able to select dietary options ahead of. You can contact You First for the menus as you've done. Given you're traveling in Feb the menu will likely change, you'll likely be one of the first on here to request a menu so do share once you receive it. I am LHR > JFK on Sunday so I'll share that if it differs to the previous.

As for orders, If it's a World Wide crew, they typically come and ask Prem/GGL if they have a preference, then work from front-to-back. If you're in row 2, you should be fine unless you have a particularly GGL heavy flight who happen to order a limited dish.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
In a separate thread I noted how on 282 in F FAs were watering the LPGS (my travel companion noted as well) as it was under catered ti say the least. On the same flight no wine could be served as no corkscrews were opened. However, I must note that the ribeye was excellent after careful handling by the crew to make it medium rarish and the rest if the food was excellent, minus the king prawns, as someone noted above
Sealink and jjLDNY like this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:44 pm

Missed the other thread.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
As for orders, If it's a World Wide crew, they typically come and ask Prem/GGL if they have a preference, then work from front-to-back. If you're in row 2, you should be fine unless you have a particularly GGL heavy flight who happen to order a limited dish.
This could have happened to me.

I flew on the BA287 A380 (LHR-SFO) a couple of weeks ago and my first choice of starter (tuna tonnato) had run out. I was in 1A and I think that the crew member taking the orders came to me from the front and certainly took my order before my companion in 2A. The cabin was almost full though - only one empty seat...
Old Jan 27, 2023, 3:25 am

It is crazy how you can pre-select in CW and guarantee a meal (even ones not on the inflight menu) but in First this is not offered and you premium paying customers could be left without their first choice. I wonder what the reason for it is. Want to maintain the idea of a restaurant style dining experience I guess - even the most expensive restaurants run out of some options occasionally
CaliforniaSwede likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
It is crazy how you can pre-select in CW and guarantee a meal (even ones not on the inflight menu) but in First this is not offered and you premium paying customers could be left without their first choice. I wonder what the reason for it is. Want to maintain the idea of a restaurant style dining experience I guess - even the most expensive restaurants run out of some options occasionally
Unless they've re-introduced it in the last couple of weeks, pre-order hasn't been available in any cabin since Covid. I'm pretty sure you used to be able to pre-order in F as well as CW.
camdentown, LCSinTexas and Dom Fly like this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 9:38 am

Programs: Varies
We are flying from LHR to LAX, in couple of weeks on the 3:45pm flight
Ditto ! Well, two and a half weeks to be pedantic.

I'll be interested to see the menu when you get it, and also a review if you're flying before me.

I have a huge number of allergies and am currently in row 4. I may end up just eating crisps if my first choices aren't available...

Out of interest, would they have spare meals in Club if nothing suits me in First? Or should I bring some emergency cornish pasties?
Old Jan 27, 2023, 9:50 am

It is crazy how you can pre-select in CW and guarantee a meal
You can't though? It's still pot luck based on your seat and status. You have to board and normally the crew serving your section will ask you for your first choice. I try and sit in 5K or 5A to try and make sure I get first choice - on my flight back from JFK I only liked one of the main courses, so was lucky I could get this.

I guess they can run out in F if there's 14 seats and it's full.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 9:50 am

I have left an enquiry with You first on sunday after reading on here but have still not got a response and tried to call but just rang for 20mins so gave up.
I'm also not a regular First passenger. I'd always assumed that You First would be a special service, staffed by friendly helpful people. I phoned a couple of weeks ago and did get through more quickly than you - I had a circa 10 minute wait - but spoke to such a rude unpleasant woman that I doubt I'll bother again. If no-one else posts the menu for my flight on here I doubt I'll try and contact them for it myself. It's hardly a First Class experience to be snapped at before you've even asked a question.

And if we can't pre-order anyway, I'm wondering what the point is of providing a menu in advance. I'll have to bring some emergency food on board anyway in case they have nothing available that I can safely eat without going into anaphylaxic shock. An advance view of the menu will be no help to me if I can't guarantee what choice I'll get. And it seems you can't even guarantee being served wine in First Class any more. I guess I just have to see how BA surprises me on the day.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
We are flying from LHR to LAX, in couple of weeks on the 3:45pm flight - I am unable to pre-select a meal or see option as when flying CW. This is my first time flying F so not sure if may pre-selection isn't available in F unless an dietary specific meal and just hope they load enough food. I have left an enquiry with You first on sunday after reading on here but have still not got a response and tried to call but just rang for 20mins so gave up.

Anyone done this route or similar recently, what would be on the menu? Like to know so do (under or) over indulge in the lounge before (not that the current CCR menu has too many options!)

I am in 2k on the A380 incase they don't load much food which i have seen has been the case on this route in the 2022 page, will the crew be taking orders from row1 even if the galley is behind?
I flew this route RTN last week, sat in 2A, and in both flights I got my first choice of all courses.
Dom Fly likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by ttama
Out of interest, would they have spare meals in Club if nothing suits me in First? Or should I bring some emergency cornish pasties?
On my last two J flights I couldn't decide between main meals and the crew came up to me after everyone had chosen and said both are still available (beef and pasta I think), but it's very rare as the J cabin is so huge that they'll have spare meals.

Also, bit confused, the J meals are worse than F by some distance. Why would you want to fly F and eat a Cornish pasty? I'd argue the J Club Suite seat is better than old F, so if you might be better in J if you don't like F food! The primary reason I'm going F in March is for the improved food/drink/service, not the seat. Not flown F for about 5 years, so want to remind myself how it compares to the new Club Suite.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by chriswiles
On my last two J flights I couldn't decide between main meals and the crew came up to me after everyone had chosen and said both are still available (beef and pasta I think), but it's very rare as the J cabin is so huge that they'll have spare meals.

Also, bit confused, the J meals are worse than F by some distance. Why would you want to fly F and eat a Cornish pasty? I'd argue the J Club Suite seat is better than old F, so if you might be better in J if you don't like F food! The primary reason I'm going F in March is for the improved food/drink/service, not the seat. Not flown F for about 5 years, so want to remind myself how it compares to the new Club Suite.
Perhaps you missed the major part of my point, which is that I have a huge number of allergies and am at risk of anaphylactic shock? Or perhaps I imagined I posted it

I mean, I could just eat the wonderful First food and die. I'd hate to inconvenience anyone by having to reroute the flight.

Or do you mean if I have allergies I should just fly Club? I'm a bit confused by your post.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by ttama
Perhaps you missed the major part of my point, which is that I have a huge number of allergies and am at risk of anaphylactic shock? Or perhaps I imagined I posted it
Sorry, at work I can only skim-read posts and type a reply very quickly. But you can pre-order for sure. I wouldn't pick anything from the regular J menu as it's far inferior to F and will be very limited, sadly (which was my main point of my reply!) as J will always get priority from their menu.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Why would you choose 5A or 5K to better your chances of getting your first choice?
Old Jan 27, 2023, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by chriswiles
Sorry, at work I can only skim-read posts and type a reply very quickly. But you can pre-order for sure. I wouldn't pick anything from the regular J menu as it's far inferior to F and will be very limited, sadly (which was my main point of my reply!) as J will always get priority from their menu.
Well, I only posted what I did in response to people saying you CAN'T pre-order in First. Hence my question about whether, if my choice of food in First isn't available and there's nothing left that's safe for me without dying on board, can I ask for anything from Club.

But if you are saying that you CAN pre-order in First now, please clarify that to all the people who've said otherwise.

I felt that I'd made sense in my posts. Maybe not, If you can suggest a better way pf phrasing my question please feel free to DM me and I will gladly take your views into account. You've talked down to me twice now so I assume you are a better writer or a more knowledgeable person than I am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.