Old Oct 4, 2023, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please do not quote photos in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Long haul in-flight catering 2023 | First

Old Feb 17, 2023, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by chriswiles
I've now flown BA F since 2018 (always J). Do they still have the cappuccino maker on board or has that gone? I once asked for one and the crew said she'd ask a colleague as he was better at frothing the milk and then said they have a proper little machine. I had a look and they did indeed.

My guess though was this was on an old plane, perhaps the 747?
It's available in all F cabins
ryanbriar and chriswiles like this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 9:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

This has become one of my favourite threads here lately, very enjoyable seeing what's on the menu.

Keep the food photos and views coming please and thank you everyone who does post here (and to everyone else on all the other menu threads too!)
Old Feb 17, 2023, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict

Great meal and wonderful service on IAD-LHR on the Boeing 787-10. The beef main was way overdone but it’s a plane after all and flavor was good. I enjoyed the Larrivet Haut-Brion.

pre-departure bubbles were Duval Leroy from J. I had to ask because I could tell it was not LPGS, the flight attendant seemed embarrassed about the customs situation! I had a few sips but decided to hold out for a few glasses of LPGS after takeoff. Is it even the J bubbles out of LHR still?

looking forward to the return next week.
I've had LPGS as a PDB out of LHR many times in First. In contrast, it is rare from anywhere else and I usually just take sparkling water before takeoff.

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 17, 2023 at 4:30 pm Reason: Remove quoted images
Old Feb 17, 2023, 10:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by champignon
I've had LPGS as a PDB out of LHR many times in First. In contrast, it is rare from anywhere else and I usually just take sparkling water before takeoff.
If LPGS isnít served as a PDB thatís almost always on inbound TATLs from the USA. I canít recall any other sector where LPGS was not normally served.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
If LPGS isnít served as a PDB thatís almost always on inbound TATLs from the USA. I canít recall any other sector where LPGS was not normally served.
Good to know!
Old Feb 17, 2023, 10:16 am
Suspended

Similarly, the Champagne served in the "First Class" USA BA Lounges could take the varnish off of wood furniture, and the food is no better in my experience.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Hmm. Not sure if it's worrying that 2 of the most recent seem to have the main and trimmings on a single plate.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by PETER01
This has become one of my favourite threads here lately, very enjoyable seeing what's on the menu.

Keep the food photos and views coming please and thank you everyone who does post here (and to everyone else on all the other menu threads too!)
You've shamed me into posting some photos (sorry, they look huge)! From just over a month ago - BA287 LHR-SFO on 12th Jan on an A380.

We took off just after 4pm, so we decided to have dinner a couple of hours after the main service as we'd had a lightish lunch in the CCR earlier. This worked out well because there was only one empty seat in the cabin, so the crew were very busy, but when we ate, it had calmed down and we had one crew member to ourselves.

We'd had some LPGS before and after take off, but I had some tea when food orders were being taken and my canapes were served at the same time as everyone else's. The only slightly negative thing about the whole experience was that my first choice starter had run out - which I thought was strange as orders seemed to be taken from the front first and I was in row 1. Maybe there were lots of GGLs and Premiers on the flight?! Oh, and the cheese selection was underwhelming.

I had the Ch Larrivet Haut-Brion with my starter and main and the Ch Filhot with my cheese. Both were good matches for the food and went down very well. My travelling companion had the white burgundy and she enjoyed it (though I didn't taste it).

One tip I learnt after chatting to the wonderful crew member who looked after us will be to put off eating in the main 'rush'. I'd complimented her on the food and presentation and she said that it had been helped because the galley was less busy, so they could concentrate on our dishes!

Canapes

Beef Wellington starter

Lemon & rosemary chicken main

Beef cheeks main

Side for main dishes

Cheese instead of dessert

Menu page 1

Menu page 2

Wine list 1

Wine list 2
Strawb, PETER01, JTXC and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I have not flown F post-pandemic, but am off to HKG in F in a few weeks. Why should I be bothering to get the menus fom YF? If I can't pre-order what do I gain from having the menu in advance? Don't they have them on board any more?

Are the HKG options generally different from the pretty run of the mill choices on the US routes, or is it all much of a muchness wherever one is flying?
Old Feb 17, 2023, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
I have not flown F post-pandemic, but am off to HKG in F in a few weeks. Why should I be bothering to get the menus fom YF? If I can't pre-order what do I gain from having the menu in advance? Don't they have them on board any more?

Are the HKG options generally different from the pretty run of the mill choices on the US routes, or is it all much of a muchness wherever one is flying?
Seeing the menu in advance is only to assuage your own curiosity; I have never bothered seeking out menus pre-flight myself, at least not since they eliminated pre-ordering more recently. In the past, you could just go into MMB and select your main course in advance.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by astra19e
The fact that almost every single vegetarian option outbound and return is mushroom-based is the height of laziness. As somebody who hates mushrooms Iím a bit annoyed.
I am pretty terrible at remembering to take pictures, but I managed to scare up a mushroomless veg meal from the menus in post #61. Both times I'd eaten a more substantial meal pre-flight so wasn't very hungry. On the return flight I would have eaten more but we were delayed by over and hour and I was hoping to sleep so I skipped the starters and dessert.
I had the Queen Anne's Tart along with all the sides as a light meal on the outbound - quite tasty and the vegetables were well-cooked. Husband thoroughly enjoyed the light meal katsu burger.
On the return I had the baked cauliflower cakes. They were almost like a rŲsti, but I thought they were very nice and a welcome change to BA's normal obsession with fungus as a meal. Normally I have an a la carte breakfast but since I was exhausted and time was short I chose the omelette for breakfast since it would be much quicker (we were 40 minutes out when I woke up). It was called a "Cottage cheese and herb omelette" but to be honest. I couldn't detect any cheese or herbs. Thankfully it was cooked correctly (I've had some awful eggs on BA flights before!) but in retrospect I would have preferred my usual if I'd had more time or should have tried the crepes.
Tobias-UK and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
BA48 SEA - LHR on Monday night. Had a fabulous crew. Only downside was the steak was over cooked and flavourless. Nice blue label to wash it down helped 😉

Old Feb 26, 2023, 6:06 pm

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by champignon
Seeing the menu in advance is only to assuage your own curiosity; I have never bothered seeking out menus pre-flight myself, at least not since they eliminated pre-ordering more recently. In the past, you could just go into MMB and select your main course in advance.
How many times do those of us with allergies or health conditions have to explain to those who don't that it can be very very important to know, in advance, what will be served. It is NOT just curiousity. On just this thread alone, this has been explained VERY clearly to those who think their small-minded opinions overrule those of others.

I am constantly amazed at the sheer pomposity of those who tell others what they should be thinking or doing. Is it a spectrum thing or is it just narcissism? Whatever it is, don't assume your motives are the same as others.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 6:44 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etcÖ
on the flight back from ATL, as the flight was delayed and we were still on the ground, we were served top ups at the seat from the bottle, and it was definitely LPGS.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 6:46 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etcÖ
ATL - LHR last week. I did not take picture of the menu but it was dinner and then breakfast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.