Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2023, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please do not quote photos in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Long haul in-flight catering 2023 | First

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:40 am

BA 282 LAX-LHR February 2023

I am flying BA 282 in February and requested the menu for the flight.
I will add photos after I take the flight in February.

February 2023
British Airways First Class
BA 282 Los Angeles to London Heathrow
(Applies to all LAX-LHR flights)

A La Carte
Warm bakery selection served with butter and olive oil

Canapés
Roast beef with tartar sauce, seared loin of tuna with caperberry and tonnato sauce, minted melon and feta cheese with toasted pistachios

Starters
Sliced ribeye steak
Flamed sweetcorn and kidney bean salad, sunflower and pumpkin seed crusted avocado, chimichurri sauce

King prawns
Mango ceviche, red pepper, celery

Cuban style baked sweet potato
Filled with corn, beans, roasted red pepper sauce, guacamole, coconut yogurt

Cream of truffled sunchoke soup
Rye bread croutons, olive oil

Seasonal mixed leaf salad
Served with our house dressing

Main Course
Pan seared rack of lamb
Grilled lemon, red pepper chimichurri, rosemary and lemon infused lamb jus

Roasted baby chicken breast
Truffle and butter-based celeriac steak, truffle infused jus

Coastal spiced cod
Dried mango powder, crispy okra, toasted black pepper sauce

Mozzarella and tomato agnolotti
Roasted cherry tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, slow roasted tomato sauce

Sides
Jalapeno and Cheddar potato au gratin, caramelized baby carrots, sautéed kale

Cheese
Port Salut
Port Salut is a semi soft cow’s milk cheese from Mayenne, France with a distinctive orange crust and a mild flavor

Dorset Drum
A mature Cheddar cheese with full flavour and a buttery texture

Blue Stilton
An English cow’s milk, semi-hard, blue, unimpressed cheese with a natural brushed red

Bucheron
An ivory coloured pate surrounded by a bloomy white rind. Soft, but semi-firm in texture. As it ages, it gets a softer texture and a sharper, more intense taste

Served with savoury biscuits, Farmhouse chutney

Dessert
Passion fruit and lemon tart
Raspberry coulis

Chocolate walnut soufflé
Chocolate sauce, fresh mango

Vanilla ice cream
Select from apricot, raspberry, chocolate crumble, raspberry sauce

Fresh seasonal fruit

Light Bites
Available at any time in between meal services

Cauliflower tabbouleh salad with tahini lime yogurt

Chicken, leek and wild mushroom pie with truffled mash potatoes

Popcorn
Tyrrells hand cooked English crisps
Lindt truffles

For allergens, please ask your crew for more details.

A La Carte
Breakfast
Fresh orange juice

Energising smoothie
Beetroot, apple, celery, ginger

Starters
Fresh seasonal fruit

Greek yogurt
Raspberry compote, granola, seeds

Selection of yogurts
Selection of Dorset cereals

Main Course
Full breakfast
Scrambled eggs, pork sausage, bacon, sautéed mushrooms, potato rosti

Ricotta and truffle omelette
Sautéed mushrooms, cherry tomatoes

Baked chocolate croissant bread and butter pudding
Vanilla sauce, fresh berries

Bakery
Warm breakfast breads and pastries

268,280,282 121F003-1
ttama, AmaaiZeg and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
LHR > JFK 19:45 183

I usually don't travel out this late so I must say it was a very strange flight. The total load on the 777 was 92, with 8 people in F - the first time I've ever seen it full and the plane was the emptiest I've ever seen everywhere else. They also turned down all of the lights after the food service and everyone I think in F was sleeping - is this normal for the early evening flight? Surely it messes up everyone's sleep schedule to sleep for 5hrs and then arrive at 11pm.. Very strange, and as a result the FAs were not very attentive given it was apparently a sleeper flight.

What is also weird is that they didn't from what I can tell serve anyone the light meal. Probably the easiest Westbound flight from a FA's perspective I've ever seen considering the cabin was fully booked.

Anyway.. I'll be booking at my usual 2-4pm in future!

Nicoise style tuna tonnato Fine starter. Not necessarily memorable as you can probably guess how it tastes given how simple it is. The tuna was soft, though didn't have much flavor.

Lemon and rosemary corn fed British chicken Better than I expected. I usually wouldn't go for chicken as it often looks a little plain; this was plain, however it was cooked well so would be a safe and consistent choice.

Grilled fillet of Atlantic halibut I think their light meals are awful so opted to have this instead. This was the best dish I had, very tender and tasty halibut and the mousseline was very nice. The big half lemon with pips sticking out obviously shouldn't have come out that way, but at least the taste was there.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by jjLDNY
LHR > JFK 19:45 183

I usually don't travel out this late so I must say it was a very strange flight. The total load on the 777 was 92, with 8 people in F - the first time I've ever seen it full and the plane was the emptiest I've ever seen everywhere else. They also turned down all of the lights after the food service and everyone I think in F was sleeping - is this normal for the early evening flight? Surely it messes up everyone's sleep schedule to sleep for 5hrs and then arrive at 11pm.. Very strange, and as a result the FAs were not very attentive given it was apparently a sleeper flight..
Literally my pet peeve.

LHR-LAX 2 weeks ago BA269- leaves at 4pm.... lights off for a good 8 hours before landing.

Am on BA179 next week leaving at 6pm to JFK and I bet they do the same thing.

Wonder if its worth saying anything? It does make an interminably long night, can kind of understand it in Y but F with 8 seats...
ENTP and jjLDNY like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Just keep your blind open and lights on, crew normally switch them off if the majority of customers bed down.
Tobias-UK and enemigo like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Just keep your blind open and lights on, crew normally switch them off if the majority of customers bed down.
Well I was 1v7 on this trip I think. - this is useful information but if you're outnumbered you're outnumbered. I assume they wouldn't wake pax up to offer the light meal, but I wasn't offered, and definitely didn't see them come through very often yet alone to top up my glass. I rang the buzzer 2x for service which I've never had to do before.

This flight felt like I stayed up on an Eastbound red-eye. Not a fan at all and definitely no intention to fly in the mid-late PM again.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hard to believe that any CC member who has (presumably) undergone training could put that half lemon on the plate (post # 77), and then say to themselves …..yep, that’s the correct way to present a meal in the First cabin
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think that the lemon would have loaded specifically to be served as garnish as only sliced lemon is loaded for cabin crew use, I’m surprised the pips weren’t removed by the caterer.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:21 pm

I’d also point out that typically a majority of customers on the late JFK are connecting from elsewhere (e.g. it connects with the day India flights), so have had long travel days already and understandably do want to sleep. Always good to remember not everyone is making the same journey you are.
ijgordon, mrow and Blenheim like this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by enemigo
Literally my pet peeve.

LHR-LAX 2 weeks ago BA269- leaves at 4pm.... lights off for a good 8 hours before landing.
I am on this flight in a few days and will be first, first experience - hoping this isn't the case and the CC don't think everyone is sleeping and wont be as attentive. I will be staying up most of the flight eating and drinking with a few naps

It is also a redemption flight, I was wondering if the service is different if the CC and see from the tablet its a not a cash ticket?
Old Feb 8, 2023, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Dom Fly
I am on this flight in a few days and will be first, first experience - hoping this isn't the case and the CC don't think everyone is sleeping and wont be as attentive. I will be staying up most of the flight eating and drinking with a few naps

It is also a redemption flight, I was wondering if the service is different if the CC and see from the tablet its a not a cash ticket?
Definitely shouldn't result in any noticeable differences. The best service usually comes from happy worldwide crew and a happy chatty-but-not-too-chatty passenger. Ask them how their day was etc and that you're excited to fly and have a few glasses of something and they should take care of you.

GGLs will probably say they get better service on average, which is probably true but I've had good service and bad service in F as GGL, so it's hit and miss. Ultimately, it is dine-on-demand and drink-on-demand so if they're not coming through to top you up as much as you'd like just ring the bell.

I don't always agree with the "tell them it's your first time" stuff as it could result in them thinking you have lower expectations.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 3:38 pm

Programs: BAEC silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
It was similar months ago to Atl. We left early afternoon. Complete lights out after meal at late afternoon/early eve UK time and thus lunchtime or earlier US. Really affected my jetlag compared to previous flights where I could keep up with the daylight despite this being a westbound to east coast vs west coast in the past. Total pet peeve.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrAJ
It was similar months ago to Atl. We left early afternoon. Complete lights out after meal at late afternoon/early eve UK time and thus lunchtime or earlier US. Really affected my jetlag compared to previous flights where I could keep up with the daylight despite this being a westbound to east coast vs west coast in the past. Total pet peeve.
Then open the window shade if you want daylight.

If it’s past sunset, sorry, you’re not getting daylight, and I can’t think of a single flight anywhere on any airline where they leave cabin lights on the entire flight.

Personally, the easiest way to avoid jet lag in a westbound TATL is to nap for ~2h at some point during the flight and then stay awake at my destination until 11pm or midnight. Staying awake the entire flight means I pass out by 9pm (2-3am Europe time) and then wake up at 5am local time - for 2-3 days in a row.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Does anyone have the Feb First menu for LHR to BGI/Barbados? Travelling 15/02
Old Feb 9, 2023, 3:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Bobbie2013
Does anyone have the Feb First menu for LHR to BGI/Barbados? Travelling 15/02
You could always contact You First if no replies here. They have an email form on ba.com or alternatively you could call them. You'll get a pretty quick response I'm sure.

Customer relations queries and more

Call us

You first helpline is open 24 hours per day, seven days a week:

- In the UK - 0800 408 7667

- From overseas - +44 (0) 207 949 3055
crazy8534 and AnaTravel like this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:59 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
10th Feb BA227 edit: LHR-ATL

Food was fairly good, service quite attentive and kept me always refilled with LPGS (to be fair the other wines are pretty uninspiring )

Last edited by marcopizzaiuolo; Feb 13, 2023 at 8:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.