Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2022 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2022, 5:31 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Kind of DYKWIA. Not BA, but on a flight to LHR.

Packed flight. As boarding is almost complete, an otherwise rather slim young lady but with a freakishly gargantuan derriere asks the FA if she could be moved to a row with an empty middle seat. She's apparently a butt model (I'm guessing Instagram or something). No way was that thing natural!

I don't know what happened, she disappeared into the aft section of the Y cabin. I would hope she didn't get her way, except if she had been seated next to a complete stranger. Or got stuffed in an exit row seat for the 9-hour flight, and came out looking like one of those square Japanese watermelons.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Blue
Self-reporter here:
Yesterday's BA893 check-in situation from SOF was a mess. 3 of the 4 counters had opened with CE in the middle and naturally not adhered to and impossible to access unless you were already in the long line. A braver CE/DYKWIA individual approached the 4th agent who just sat down at a new check in counter (still closed) to which she said "just check in at me". Me and the wife then proceeded to the horror of ~200 people in line (and Mister Greenpen himself if im not mistaken) to skip from the end to the newly opened counter. A lad queueing behind me started asking "Is this...." to which I promptly replied "this line is for business class" to which he responded "Oh sorry!" and rejoined the normal queue.
To confuse matters even more, after us the 4th counter we had just used opened as "Euro Traveller"
renila, T8191, wrp96 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by jj_lgkr; Sep 20, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by jj_lgkr
Self-reporter here:
Yesterday's BA893 check-in situation from SOF was a mess. 3 of the 4 counters had opened with CE in the middle and naturally not adhered to and impossible to access unless you were already in the long line. A braver CE/DYKWIA individual approached the 4th agent who just sat down at a new check in counter (still closed) to which she said "just check in at me". Me and the wife then proceeded to the horror of ~200 people in line (and Mister Greenpen himself if im not mistaken) to skip from the end to the newly opened counter. A lad queueing behind me started asking "Is this...." to which I promptly replied "this line is for business class" to which he responded "Oh sorry!" and rejoined the normal queue.
To confuse matters even more, after us the 4th counter we had just used opened as "Euro Traveller"
And at the opposite end of the scale, checking in at BLQ on Monday. Three desks for ET and one for CE. Which is probably about right except the CE line was stuck behind someone with a problem at the desk. The agent at the ET desk next door held his hand up at the next person in the queue and told me to come forward instead.
I was thankful, but a little embarrassed.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by PAL62V
And at the opposite end of the scale, checking in at BLQ on Monday. Three desks for ET and one for CE. Which is probably about right except the CE line was stuck behind someone with a problem at the desk. The agent at the ET desk next door held his hand up at the next person in the queue and told me to come forward instead.
I was thankful, but a little embarrassed.
Have had that happen quite often, as IMO it should. Happened last week queuing for CW, KIN-LGW .... they opened a new desk, as the CW one clearly had a pax with problems.

One reason we display our Gold tags on luggage and Carry-ons!
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MH1981
I was in the Galleries South lounge a couple of weeks ago and witnessed something I’ve never seen before. A young lady had requested mobility assistance and soon after a guy turned up with a wheelchair for her. I kid you not, having managed perfectly well to get to the lounge unaided, she proceeded to place 3 designer duty free shopping bags on to the wheelchair and explain to the man that he’s to help her get to the departure gate.

I’d have told her where to go but the gentleman was far more professional and agreed to help her (despite looking baffled). They both walked off with the shopping on the wheelchair.

Now, she may have injured her arms pouring her champagne that I wasn’t aware of but it felt like a DYKWIA moment. Bizarre.
Bear in mind you can’t see every condition from the outside. of that person has a pain condition, it’s entirely plausible that they could make it airside unaided with fast track but need help later on. I had a tricky situation, arriving in CPH where I was in extreme pain but too cramped to sit any longer . Speciai assistance insisted I put my carryons on the wheelchair and walked me slowly to arrivals

(And looking young is irrelevant btw )
Scots_Al, polochick, T8191 and 6 others like this.

Last edited by GadgetGal; Sep 22, 2022 at 6:08 am
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Very normal at outstations and goes both ways...if the First/Club desks are quiet then they'll take one passenger at a time from the WT line.
PAL62V, T8191, the810 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
Very normal at outstations and goes both ways...if the First/Club desks are quiet then they'll take one passenger at a time from the WT line.
should be standard practice
Old Sep 22, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by danmushman
should be standard practice
Wasn't the practice at MCO last March, the CW queue was being serviced by the most inept agent I've come across, every new checkin group took ages and the lazy agents working the other lines did nothing to help or get priority passengers through check-in.

Absolutely appalling service.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by ExAbz
Wasn't the practice at MCO last March, the CW queue was being serviced by the most inept agent I've come across, every new checkin group took ages and the lazy agents working the other lines did nothing to help or get priority passengers through check-in.

I am guessing you didn't hand out any golden tickets
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by cjb666
I am guessing you didn't hand out any golden tickets
Nope.

I'm generally tolerant of travel issues, things do go wrong from time to time, but this was one of my worst experiences of poor agents. Arrived at MCO 2 hours before the flight and got to the gate with 5 mins to spare. The zoo at MCO security didn't help.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:07 am

Nope.

I'm generally tolerant of travel issues, things do go wrong from time to time, but this was one of my worst experiences of poor agents. Arrived at MCO 2 hours before the flight and got to the gate with 5 mins to spare. The zoo at MCO security didn't help.
Global Entry and TSA Pre if you're eligible. I'd have paid the 5 year fee any of my very few visits to MCO. TPA every time you can.
Tim_T, renila, golfmad and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:22 am

I wish I got to fly F to JFK .. really want to know who this was now
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by GadgetGal
Bear in mind you can’t see every condition from the outside. of that person has a pain condition, it’s entirely plausible that they could make it airside unaided with fast track but need help later on. I had a tricky situation, arriving in CPH where I was in extreme pain but too cramped to sit any longer . Speciai assistance insisted I put my carryons on the wheelchair and walked me slowly to arrivals

(And looking young is irrelevant btw )
I appreciate where you are coming from but she arrived perfectly fine with her shopping bags in hand, and looked perfectly mobile during her multiple visits to the food and drink counters. And again, looked perfectly mobile as she walking out of the lounge.

But yes, not all conditions are visible and things are not always as they seem which probably renders this whole thread useless.
BravoKilo likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by geronimo
"DYKWIA" blogger or AITA?

On a recent LHR-JFK, I was bumped to First at check-in….
Look familiar?

Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:07 pm

sounds really frustrating. That said I’m less annoyed on long haul when the boarding fails, as typically the overhead space is virtually guaranteed. Especially if you’re in premium cabins.

Short haul a different story. Orderly boarding accordingly to priority is very important to me, as ensuring overhead space for bags is quite an important factor. When the boarding goes wrong or mismanaged and to top it off you are unable to stow your baggage above your seat, it’s very frustrating.
becks1 and Radiation Station like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.