Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2022 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Arrow DYKWIA | 2022 edition

This thread is a continuation of the ever popular DYKWIA | 2020/21 edition thread.

Airports are funny places. While they are increasingly designed to both complement and positively influence human behaviour, some of our fellow passengers do on occasion suffer a complete loss of composure and/or self awareness. This thread celebrates those amusing lapses of, well, lets call it social etiquette.

We also have a sister thread dedicated to our musings of the use of Executive Club baggage tags, fair or faux pas, which you can find here: BAEC luggage tags: practical utility or personal statement?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I just enjoyed this recent interview quote from Madeleine Albright, former US Secretary of State, about succumbing to the DYKWIA temptation. (I'm a bit worried whether this fits here -- please let me know if I'm out of line!)

"In Heathrow Airport, I was picked on one time to be the person that they decided had to open everything in the suitcase. I'm there on the floor taking everything out and I never did this. But I said, excuse me, but do you know who I am? And the guy said, no, but we can find a doctor who can help you figure it out. So I couldn't help but laugh."
Vaclav, salut0, tuolumne and 21 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
If she uttered the words, it definitely fits here
antichef and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks. It's from a set of podcasts called "70 over 70," available from an outfit called Pineapple Studios, which also posts the transcripts (I'm actually more of a transcript guy). Other interviewees ranged from Twiggy to Anthony Fauci to Dionne Warwick.

Last edited by scoonee; Jan 3, 2022 at 4:23 pm
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:02 pm

It'll be funny to see if Anthony Fauci pulls a DYKWIA moment, if he's singled out at some airports that conduct random COVID tests (like Mumbai)... and being "supervised" while he's doing so.
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
It'll be funny to see if Anthony Fauci pulls a DYKWIA moment, if he's singled out at some airports that conduct random COVID tests (like Mumbai)... and being "supervised" while he's doing so.
He would applaud them! And I am unanimous in my opinion!
(Thanks to Mrs. Slocombe)
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:21 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Someone came into the hybrid CCR just now at DXB continuously mentioning the agent had told him to go to the Concorde Lounge.

"I'm told I should go to the Concorde Lounge. I have access to the Concorde Lounge. My ticket permits me access to the Concorde Lounge" etc.

He got a bit of a shock when he walked in, realised it was busy (with a couple of families), muttered, and walked out to go and find the agent and ask her where the real Concorde Lounge is.

I hope he found it at the bottom of a rainbow!

M
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:19 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Someone came into the hybrid CCR just now at DXB continuously mentioning the agent had told him to go to the Concorde Lounge.

"I'm told I should go to the Concorde Lounge. I have access to the Concorde Lounge. My ticket permits me access to the Concorde Lounge" etc.

He got a bit of a shock when he walked in, realised it was busy (with a couple of families), muttered, and walked out to go and find the agent and ask her where the real Concorde Lounge is.

I hope he found it at the bottom of a rainbow!

M
Is that a Do You Know Where I Am?
TarquinMontague likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
BA1405 MAN-LHR. Inbound flight arrived 8 minutes late due to a go-around thanks to the weather today.

Pax contacts ground crew whilst waiting outside the gate, she’s sadly lost her passport in the airport- ground crew suggest she retrace her steps again to look for it as she won’t be allowed on to her London flight. Queue DYKWIA then telling ground crew that this will no doubt cause a delay and the baggage should be found how to offload.

Boarding delayed due to late arrival of cleaning crew (frustrating for sure), but cleaners arrived after 20 minutes following announcement of delay (prior to our scheduled departure time). Ground staff made announcement as soon as delay was known. Pax invited to sit on the chairs in T3 so they were more comfortable.

Queue said DYKWIA, who firstly interrupted the ground crew prior to the cleaners arriving whilst they were trying to contact the cleaners to expedite them. This was followed by calling BA (hold music on speaker to the obvious irritation of surrounding passengers- followed by upon answer demand to the call centre that they phone operations ‘right now’ and ‘demand that the cleaners attend immediately’. He shouted down the phone that he had travelled from his home at 4pm (for his 1930 flight) and he could have driven in this time. This was followed by firstly a threat and then confirmation that he would ‘email Sean Doyle again’. Some passengers were calling him out whilst he was on the phone ‘your not special’ whilst lots of others were tutting- although he appeared oblivious.

Interestingly, everyone by the gate could have got his details used for a BA identity check- I do wonder, are BAEC numbers sequential so do they give an idea of how long someone has been a member?

We boarded about 15 minutes after our departure time. Flight was good, crew put their foot down and we landed 18 minutes late.

Sadly we pulled up to gate, crew ask for people to remain seated until the CPT pax had disembarked to try to make their tight connection. Then the captain came on to apologies as they had been a problem with the jet bridge., they were arranging for steps to be attached at the back of the aircraft.

Queue a gang of DYKWIA shouting at the flight lead, who did a fantastic job listening to the complaints. Some were angry that they couldn’t disembark first, the flight lead explained this was due to balance when disembarking from the back.

The aforementioned DYKWIA then joined in, repeated his claim about having left his house at 4pm and could have driven down, followed by ‘it’s not a jet bridge it’s a swing bridge’ and BA are the ground handling agent at T5 so they should know the bridge wasn’t working and move us to another stand. Next was a demand that we disembark first from the rear door ahead of the economy passengers as CE pax had paid more. This was followed by the same threat to email Sean about this ‘breach of contract’ and didn’t the flight lead know that he spent £50k with BA a year (later clarified as the company that he works for). Apparently another senior manager had replied on behalf of Sean (name withheld as per FT rules) but hadn’t agreed to fly with him to see what it was like for him to fly with BA.

The Captain came out, as requested one of the other people shouting told the Captain ‘it’s the same gate that was assigned to us when we left Manchester and BA should have known it was broken and there were other empty stands when we had taxied in’. Captain clarified that person information was incorrect; the gate had changed after we had landed and the bridge had broken after we were on stand. He reiterated why they can’t just disembark

We disembarked within a minute later. Delay on landing- 18 minutes behind schedule. I was the last pax off- 19 minutes after we had touched down (we walked off the steps and back into the stairs up to the gate). Another passenger waiter and came forward to CC to apologies for the horrible aggressive shouting she had been subjected to by the two vocal complainers (a nice touch I thought).

Said DYkWIA passenger had a bag to collect (with baggage having nothing been delayed by the bridge). Bags arrived 39 minutes after touch down (DYKWIA’s bag was number 2).

I fully understand people’s frustration, taking it out on the crew who were doing their best in the way that happened really was not ok and frankly, if I was Sean, I wouldn’t answer a guy personally complaining about such a small delay (he effectively had an 18 minute delay- 8 for weather due to the go-around of the inbound aircraft and 10 due to the cleaning delay. Due to having to collect a bag there was effect on his onward journey because of the bridge issue, although others prob had around a 8/9 minute further delay.

A company with a £50k spend doesn’t really impress me either- am I wrong?

Well done to the ground staff, and crew of how they handled the situation. Sorry I don’t care if it’s a jet or a swing bridge. And yes, the CPT passengers made their connection with the flight departing on time.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by navylad
A company with a £50k spend doesn’t really impress me either- am I wrong?
Plenty of individuals spend more than that on business trips. And plenty of companies spend more than a hundred times that and get nothing special from BA.

I'm sure DYKWIA got out of bed the wrong side or something - haven't we all occasionally - but there's really no excuse for being rude to folks who have nothing to do with the cause of the issue. Especially as it seems that (basically) there wasn't an issue here!
SarahWest, wrp96, navylad and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by abligh
I'm sure DYKWIA got out of bed the wrong side planet
There. Corrected it for you
noFODplease and navylad like this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by navylad

I fully understand people’s frustration, taking it out on the crew who were doing their best in the way that happened really was not ok and frankly, if I was Sean, I wouldn’t answer a guy personally complaining about such a small delay.
I'm fairly confident Sean won't be personally responding to Mr Bluster either.

I find always find it rather amusing how customers like that feel they're better equipped with more knowledge or profess to know everyone's job or someone more senior in order to escalate their complaint to.

Are we meant to be impressed by their contact network or perhaps frightened into submission because of who they know?

I can tell you now that this customer facing professional (who no doubt will have spoken to many Flyertalkers frequenting this forum over the years in a professional capacity) finds it all rather amusing on the occasions these people choose to present themselves.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
stuff happens. im just surprised the DYKWIA didnt have complaints getting thru MAN security!

i mean all of the issues mentioned are commonplace and "**it happens" and as one who would pay 50k per year on BA services, i'd expect one would know delays are inevitable. i mean how can a frequent traveler keep peace of mind unless accepting these things happen!

but i really do appreciate others shouting at him at the gate. thats great british stuff.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:20 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by VSLover
stuff happens. im just surprised the DYKWIA didnt have complaints getting thru MAN security!

i mean all of the issues mentioned are commonplace and "**it happens" and as one who would pay 50k per year on BA services, i'd expect one would know delays are inevitable. i mean how can a frequent traveler keep peace of mind unless accepting these things happen!

but i really do appreciate others shouting at him at the gate. thats great british stuff.
Maybe that's why he was all steamed up
Old Feb 7, 2022, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, easyJet Plus, YHA platinum, Amex Centurion, Peugeot owners club, Stagecoach gold rider
A first for me this morning, heading through the first wing there was quite a pile up of empty trays which hadn’t been cleared. Individual in front of me starts clicking at the staff hinting for them to sort it out, wouldn’t be an issue if everyone just took responsibility for their trays.
MaxFlyer, Shingi, T8191 and 6 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.