DYKWIA | 2020/21 edition

Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Arrow DYKWIA | 2020/21 edition

This thread is a continuation of the ever popular DYKWIA | 2019 edition thread.

Airports are funny places. While they are increasingly designed to both complement and positively influence human behaviour, some of our fellow passengers do on occasion suffer a complete loss of composure and/or self awareness. This thread celebrates those amusing lapses of, well, lets call it social etiquette.

We also have a sister thread dedicated to our musings of the use of Executive Club baggage tags, fair or faux pas, which you can find here: BAEC luggage tags: practical utility or personal statement?
deboyzoned and Iamnotlost like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 1, 2020 at 2:22 am

Top Answer

Oct 13, 2021, 7:44 am
ThatT1Feeling

Coming back into LHR a couple of weeks ago, there was a group of three guys a couple of rows back from me who didn't want to wear masks other than to keep their chins warm, wanted to stand and chat during the flight and generally be a PITA. On landing, they were straight up to collect their bags, noisily (of course), but eventually did sit down again after being told a couple of times.

I am sure the crew was absolutely delighted to learn that we had steps front and rear.

They called Rows 1-5 and rows 25-30 and stationed a crew member at the last row allowed to disembark, meaning that over time, the crew members got closer and closer to each other until there was one row left - the last row to leave - row 16.

Guess which row the annoying guys were in 😁
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
I'll start us off.

It's more a case of advice needed as to who was the DYKWIA.

Boarding at Stockholm yesterday, and it was gate lice central. The flight was a little delayed so there was a bit of waiting around involved too. Rather large woman was stood nearest the boarding door, and certainly giving me the evil eye on more than a few occasions. I saw from her boarding pass she had group 1. Group 1 was called and I made my way forwards, letting her go first as I could see that she was entitled to actually be there.

She wasn't happy with this though and she was straight in there saying "THERES A QUEUE YOU KNOW".

(Reality was, it was a mess as opposed to any form of queue)

Now, what I should have said was something along the lines of, yes, but they have just called group 1 and I'm pretty sure this whole mass of people doesn't hold group 1 boarding.

What actually happened was I came across as a bit of an arse by saying, yes, I know, and I've been waiting here at the front a lot longer than the people who have just rolled up at the back.

Her response was "BUT THERES A QUEUE AND YOU'RE NOT IN IT"

I couldn't be bothered to converse any more with her. Group boarding wasn't enforced at all, as from seeing a few more boarding passes ahead of me, there was a few group 4's in there.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:26 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Given where I live I have learnt to accept that some people's perception of reality is different from mine, and I've spent the last seven months humouring, ignoring or coping with them.
tmac100, wrp96, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:30 am

I'll start us off.

Boarding at Stockholm yesterday, and it was gate lice central. The flight was a little delayed so there was a bit of waiting around involved too. Rather large woman was stood nearest the boarding door, and certainly giving me the evil eye on more than a few occasions. I saw from her boarding pass she had group 1. Group 1 was called and I made my way forwards, letting her go first as I could see that she was entitled to actually be there.

She wasn't happy with this though and she was straight in there saying "THERES A QUEUE YOU KNOW".

Now, what I should have said was something along the lines of, yes, but they have just called group 1 and I'm pretty sure this whole mass of people doesn't hold group 1 boarding.

What actually happened was I came across as a bit of an arse by saying, yes, I know, and I've been waiting here at the front a lot longer than the people who have just rolled up at the back.

I couldn't be bothered to converse any more with her. Group boarding wasn't enforced at all, as from seeing a few more boarding passes ahead of me, there was a few group 4's in there.
Difficult one this, I guess it partly depends on whether the others present were in a 'queue' (her) or 'mess' (you) or where in between. In any event seems like she over-reacted. Good call letting it go imo.
wrp96 and Cymro like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Some of my favourite queuing etiquette:

1. A clear line of people standing is formed and others who have been sitting until boarding feel they are entitled to stand up and join the part of the queue closest to where they were sitting,
2. People already in the queue invite travel companions to join them and walk past others who were already standing in the queue (I have started to call people out on this)
wrp96 and Cotumely like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Saint4805
Some of my favourite queuing etiquette:

1. A clear line of people standing is formed and others who have been sitting until boarding feel they are entitled to stand up and join the part of the queue closest to where they were sitting
This set me thinking. Every now and again I will end up getting to the gate early and take a seat next to the barriers. Over time, a queue will form including people standing right in front of me. When my group is called I am one of those people who will just get up and present my documents.

I had always thought that this was reasonable as I have been waiting by the barriers just like the people who arrived later than me and chose to stand in a line, rather than taking one of the further away seats. But maybe I'm wrong. Have never thought of myself as a particularly DYKWIA type of a person, so if I've been behaving badly today feels like a good day for new resolutions.

Would welcome a judgment from the FT hive mind.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Was boarding a 747 LAX to LHR just before Christmas
Waiting for the boarding announcement

They suddenly called group 1 and 2 together (why do they do this!)

There then followed a scrum

My other half had made it to the front , I was behind, I pushed my way forward to which I received an objection from someone that I was overtaking, obviously he was in group 1 or 2 ; I just pointed to my other half and said Im with him and kept my head down (sorry)
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by slicktony
I had always thought that this was reasonable as I have been waiting by the barriers just like the people who arrived later than me and chose to stand in a line, rather than taking one of the further away seats. But maybe I'm wrong. Have never thought of myself as a particularly DYKWIA type of a person, so if I've been behaving badly today feels like a good day for new resolutions.

Would welcome a judgment from the FT hive mind.
death is too good for you. Happy new year
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:04 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I'll start us off.

I'm a bit split here. Points lost right at the outset I'm afraid for using the condescending term "gate lice". There are also undoubtably other people (and I'm certainly not suggesting you're guilty of this) out there who feign ignorance of boarding queues where these aren't so well managed by the airport involved in order to get on earlier (hello, Brussels). The Lady concerned on the other hand also made far too much of it but certainly queue-jumping whether it's perceived correctly or not is one thing that annoys many. Some points won back again for not pushing it further.

Last edited by V10; Jan 1, 2020 at 8:10 am
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Saint4805
2. People already in the queue invite travel companions to join them and walk past others who were already standing in the queue (I have started to call people out on this)
Not sure I see the issue with this unless they are bringing a school bus full of kids forward. If its just a person or two I wouldnt bat an eyelid as its pretty normal behaviour.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by V10
Points lost right at the outset I'm afraid for using the condescending term "gate lice".
Wasn't my intention to appear condescending. I was under the impression it was a pretty common term for a mass of people crowding the gate area.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Wasn't my intention to appear condescending. I was under the impression it was a pretty common term for a mass of people crowding the gate area.
I find queue more common.
thijsseh and MiraculousM like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
I find queue more common.
But if they are not in a queue, then the alternative term is most descriptive.
nancypants, etiene and LadyKilljoy like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
But if they are not in a queue, then the alternative term is most descriptive.
Pejorative. Not descriptive.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Disorganised ...
Herd/horde
Gaggle
Mass

Whichever, we know what gate lice means ... opportunists.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.