Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2022 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Possible that you saw an autistic man in distress?
I did wonder if elements of mental health conditions was partially to explain when I read the post, but being a hidden disability, we obviously can't say for sure.
TarquinMontague likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by nickyjames
I wish I got to fly F to JFK .. really want to know who this was now
I am severely disappointed at how overlooked this post was.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Spatial awreness died years ago when smartphones were invented.
Oh this happened way before smart phones. People suddenly stopping in london has happened my whole life.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
I know this is old, but while we are at it, can we add people that suddenly stop while walking? A lot of tourists with really large backpacks do this and as a short women, it usually results in me going face first into said backpack. if you need to stop, go to the side and do it.
I just walk into them now if they do it it me.. If that and "jobbing" people in supermarkets with my trolley was an Olympic event I would certainly be a medal contender.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Anything’s possible. But often an arsehole is just an arsehole.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
I am severely disappointed at how overlooked this post was.
Why?
Old Oct 7, 2022, 9:28 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Paren
I did wonder if elements of mental health conditions was partially to explain when I read the post, but being a hidden disability, we obviously can't say for sure.
Possible? Yes, anything's possible.

Likely? Not very. His wife couldn't possibly have failed to hear what was going on, the entire security area was privy to it. If her husband had been autistic, I'd have been amazed if she didn't go over to explain what the issue might have been. Had I not bothered to point out the likely consequences of his actions, I doubt she'd have got involved.

We all get stressed and upset about stuff when travelling and tired, but 99.9% of us know there's a time to simply acquiesce, particularly when it's on something so simple and quick as a secondary search.
Scots_Al, RockyRobin and dougzz like this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 9:50 am

I do occasionally stop abruptly when walking. It is because the person behind me is shouting, usually into a mobile telephone but sometimes to their companion. If they are walking quickly enough to overtake it’s fine but often they have decided that I too am interested in their conversation.

Next time this happens to you just say “Hello Greenpen” and I’ll smile sweetly.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
This is a wonderful side thread of annoying behaviour.

Can I add those who have wheelie bags on escalators, who insist on stopping at the end to extend the handle or reangle their case before carrying on their journey.

Causes those directly behind to have to stop, which is awkward when the step you're on is still moving!
orbitmic and TarquinMontague like this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Corpt
Why?
My best guess....One of the TPG UK contributors is named Nicky Kelvin. In the Points Guy UK COS review that was referenced above he flew in WT+...the poster's name was "nickyjames" so perhaps it was said Nicky Kelvin saying he wished he flew F to JFK? *shrug*
Markie likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser
My best guess....One of the TPG UK contributors is named Nicky Kelvin. In the Points Guy UK COS review that was referenced above he flew in WT+...the poster's name was "nickyjames" so perhaps it was said Nicky Kelvin saying he wished he flew F to JFK? *shrug*
Sure, but why would that cause such disappointment to MiraculousM?
Old Oct 8, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Sunburnt Fred
With the crew having non of it he immediately complained of leg pain and asked for a bigger seat. This time crew relent and tell him to hold tight. Watching his face drop as he realised the passenger being brought up from the emergency exit row was moving to business and not him was priceless and off he went for what I thought would be the rest of the flight.
Leaving aside the shocking escalation with the woman at the end of the story, I don't understand the argument he's making here. Isn't business the same seat as economy on a short haul BA flight? He should've been happy with the exit row if what he wanted was legroom.
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
You assume a level of intelligence I don't see there and he was thinking that far.....
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jcain
Leaving aside the shocking escalation with the woman at the end of the story, I don't understand the argument he's making here. Isn't business the same seat as economy on a short haul BA flight? He should've been happy with the exit row if what he wanted was legroom.
Surely if he had leg pain, then he shouldn't have been classed at fully fit and able bodied to be able to sit in an exit row in the first place?
As for the passenger requiring assistance, should she have not been in a window seat for safety reasons?
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
With the big drama at security the description at first did seem to shout to me autism or mental health issues (and indeed, this could be managed by putting a wallet inside say another bag, out of plain sight).

However, the reaction of the wife then strikes me as if someone has been in a real mood, possibly drunk, and annoyed the hell out of her, and a bit of consideration was being given to let security take him away (though I suspect she eventually reasoned that it would delay her flight and just cause her more problems, so gave in).
janehoya likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.