Search

DYKWIA | 2022 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2022, 4:08 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Just caught up with this thread.

On kids and guesting into GF, I think anyone saying two GCHs trying to bring an extra guest through at 5am on the first day of the half term school holidays should have a little flexibility shown aren't thinking it through. At the quietest of times any extra guesting should be requested, not demanded, and the first day of half term is going to be one of the worst times to try - staff will almost certainly have been briefed not to bend the rules over that holiday period.

Similarly, if some PAT had demanded I guest their kid I'd have likely had a few choice words for them too.
Interesting contrast of views in this thread compared with one that was very active last week on a different lounge issue. Leads me to conclude that quite a few on this forum are very black-and-white and rigid when it comes to commenting on how appropriate the behaviour of others is - but are happy to be less rigid regarding their own needs and that BA staff should be able to be flexible at times.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 5:49 am

Do we really need to discuss it again?
The thread was already closed once for moderation and clean up. Please lets not give the discussion any further time of day. Instead move on to what what this thread is here for: fine examples of self absorbed behaviour and tales schadenfreude in order to achieve one upmanship over said self absorbed individuals.
Markie, JimEddie, endoman and 20 others like this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Oct 17, 2022 at 6:14 am
Old Oct 17, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I am a DYKWIA

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Instead move on to what what this thread is here for: fine examples of self absorbed behaviour and tales schadenfreude in order to achieve one upmanship over said self absorbed individuals.
I'll oblige.

My name is Harry. I am a DYKWIA.

Having flown overnight from HNL to LAX on Saturday with 90 minutes to connect to the 8am departure to JFK and then to LHR, I discovered that the onward flight from LAX had a 7-hour delay, arriving in JFK after midnight (it was later cancelled). AA had automatically "kindly" booked me on the 2pm direct flight to LHR. In a centre seat. In the back row of Economy. At the time, although sleep deprived, I understood that was just a computer algorithm trying to find an easy solution.

I called You First and after 10 minutes of "Oh no, we cannot have that" was told actually there was no F or J availability from anywhere in North America to LHR that day. I had an out of body experience telling the agent that this was not acceptable and even embarrassingly heard myself saying "Is this how BA would treat David Beckham"? Getting myself together, using Expert Flyer and ITA Matrix, I found my own routing via Boston with a Transcontinental First lie flat on the domestic leg and BA First on the Transatlantic. How is it that in 15 minutes I could find that but the agent couldn't. Without Flyertalk, I genuinely believe I would be flying at the back of an American 777 being proper Yorkshire grumpy. Anyway, the agent rebooked the flights and the day was saved.

The entire industry is a mess, BA doubly so. Booked in December, the 8 sector booking now has 23 flights in MMB, there have been so many timetable changes and cancellations. I have a great deal of sympathy with the coal face staff that have to deal with the customer while continually disappointing. I have no sympathy for the BA management for whom greed has created a self inflicted wound that is going to take years to heal or if some other global catastrophe occurs, may well prove fatal.

For example, I was on G-STBM for both transatlantic legs 4 days apart. On both sectors, 1A did not recline and the Wi-Fi was inoperative throughout the journey, Were BA aware, yes. Did they have the desire to do anything about it? Maybe, one day. Sometime. But clearly, the IFL was left having to tell a First passenger that their lie flat bed wasn't. And a host of passengers expecting to work / play or otherwise on the Internet - sorry you cannot.

No wonder I am a DYKWIA.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
I'll oblige.

My name is Harry. I am a DYKWIA.

Having flown overnight from HNL to LAX on Saturday with 90 minutes to connect to the 8am departure to JFK and then to LHR, I discovered that the onward flight from LAX had a 7-hour delay, arriving in JFK after midnight (it was later cancelled). AA had automatically "kindly" booked me on the 2pm direct flight to LHR. In a centre seat. In the back row of Economy. At the time, although sleep deprived, I understood that was just a computer algorithm trying to find an easy solution.

I called You First and after 10 minutes of "Oh no, we cannot have that" was told actually there was no F or J availability from anywhere in North America to LHR that day. I had an out of body experience telling the agent that this was not acceptable and even embarrassingly heard myself saying "Is this how BA would treat David Beckham"? Getting myself together, using Expert Flyer and ITA Matrix, I found my own routing via Boston with a Transcontinental First lie flat on the domestic leg and BA First on the Transatlantic. How is it that in 15 minutes I could find that but the agent couldn't. Without Flyertalk, I genuinely believe I would be flying at the back of an American 777 being proper Yorkshire grumpy. Anyway, the agent rebooked the flights and the day was saved.

The entire industry is a mess, BA doubly so. Booked in December, the 8 sector booking now has 23 flights in MMB, there have been so many timetable changes and cancellations. I have a great deal of sympathy with the coal face staff that have to deal with the customer while continually disappointing. I have no sympathy for the BA management for whom greed has created a self inflicted wound that is going to take years to heal or if some other global catastrophe occurs, may well prove fatal.

For example, I was on G-STBM for both transatlantic legs 4 days apart. On both sectors, 1A did not recline and the Wi-Fi was inoperative throughout the journey, Were BA aware, yes. Did they have the desire to do anything about it? Maybe, one day. Sometime. But clearly, the IFL was left having to tell a First passenger that their lie flat bed wasn't. And a host of passengers expecting to work / play or otherwise on the Internet - sorry you cannot.

No wonder I am a DYKWIA.
I was also booked on the 8am LAX-JFK flight yesterday so encountered the same issues. I was standby on the 7am and it cleared but only in economy so I rejected it. I also found the LAX-BOS-LHR connection but couldn't get the agent in the flagship lounge to book it, perhaps you beat me to it! She eventually booked me on the AA direct to LHR flight which was much better for sleep. I've already contacted the GGL team to put in a claim for the missing TP as this was a run for me. I was really hoping to connect in JFK so I could get one last visit into the CCR in before it closed. Oh well.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond
As an aside, isn't it the case that the three new 777-300s don't have WiFi installed, not that the WiFi is inop?
Old Oct 17, 2022, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
to connect to the 8am departure to JFK and then to LHR, I discovered that the onward flight from LAX had a 7-hour delay, arriving in JFK after midnight (it was later cancelled).
Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger
I was also booked on the 8am LAX-JFK flight yesterday so encountered the same issues. I was standby on the 7am and it cleared but only in economy so I rejected it.
How funny, my wife almost ended up on that flight yesterday. Was booked LAX-ORD-LGA in F as the non-stop transcon was another $1000+ when she was booking (plus she could get the 787 for LAX-ORD). The LAX-ORD got a 5hr delay posted in the middle of the night so she was rebooked on the non-stop 7am LAX-JFK in J (the phone agent told her she was booked into FC). When she showed up at the FL at LAX the agent was about to reinstate her into FC but on the 8am (FC was full on the 7am) but at that moment the 7hr delay showed up so she stuck with her J seat on the 7am.

My wife also got the last J seat on the 7am, sorry BA038_Passenger !
rt23456p likes this.

Last edited by Fraser; Oct 17, 2022 at 8:25 pm
Old Oct 17, 2022, 10:47 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Do we really need to discuss it again?
The thread was already closed once for moderation and clean up. Please lets not give the discussion any further time of day. Instead move on to what what this thread is here for: fine examples of self absorbed behaviour and tales schadenfreude in order to achieve one upmanship over said self absorbed individuals.
Not due to any contribution of mine though so I hope you were not aiming that comment at me? I barely read any of the offending posts before they were removed.

The point of my post remains the same.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
Not due to any contribution of mine though so I hope you were not aiming that comment at me? I barely read any of the offending posts before they were removed.

The point of my post remains the same.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by 737driver
As an aside, isn't it the case that the three new 777-300s don't have WiFi installed, not that the WiFi is inop?
The aircraft had an internal WiFi signal and the IFL had the ability to turn it on and off. So in the case of BM, I think it is there but not working. Or not connected. But the IFL both ways apologised and expected it to work. .
Old Oct 17, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Twice today I called for assistance on the Gold Guest List priority line and was told by an automated machine that I couldn’t be put through to the team. outraged. 😂 (And Twitter DM couldn’t resolve my query).
Old Oct 24, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: GGL
Lovely mini altercation in First swing security earlier today. One gentleman got upset with the chap in front of him because he didn’t clear up his empty trays. Gentleman grumbled “some people” and called chap a d***h**d… once he was safely out of earshot.
Markie and RichieMc like this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by cjb666
Lovely mini altercation in First swing security earlier today. One gentleman got upset with the chap in front of him because he didn’t clear up his empty trays. Gentleman grumbled “some people” and called chap a d***h**d… once he was safely out of earshot.
Yeah I’m not sure who the a-hole is here. It annoys me when there are 10 empty trays sitting on the belt and no bags can come down until someone (either personnel or passengers) clears them. I usually avoid aggressive-aggressive approach of swearing and take the passive-aggressive one of sanctimoniously clearing up a few trays myself.

I wish I could say this was uniquely an issue at the First Wing, but I’ve also noticed it’s also particularly bad at T3 connection security.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cjb666
I've called people a selfish t**t within earshot for doing the same. Total entitlement, but I guess some people live in a world where they are used to being fawned over.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Yeah I’m not sure who the a-hole is here. It annoys me when there are 10 empty trays sitting on the belt and no bags can come down until someone (either personnel or passengers) clears them. I usually avoid aggressive-aggressive approach of swearing and take the passive-aggressive one of sanctimoniously clearing up a few trays myself.

I wish I could say this was uniquely an issue at the First Wing, but I’ve also noticed it’s also particularly bad at T3 connection security.
I'm perpetually bemused why people take their belongings out of the tray but leave it on the conveyor rather than putting it away.

And - even worse - the people grumbling that they can't get their items off their tray because of the long line of empty trays blocking their tray from coming down, but who do absolutely nothing to pick the many blocking empty trays off. They do ever more ridiculous contortions around the scanning machine barrier to try to get their things and do not improve the situation at all.

I fear we really are heading towards the future depicted in "Idiocracy"
Old Oct 24, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Yeah, I think you're on a loser there, it's a genuine problem where security is loaded to the gills with huge queues and.... There's chunks of empty trays blocking up the end. Sure an employee could come along and tidy them up, but there's queues, they're all working to get things through the scanner, watching the body scanner, swabbing the backlog on the side.

All it takes is a lift and dump. A sign perhaps to tell them to do this. Someone perhaps telling them off.

All the person complaining about them was filling the gap in a procedural failure which is pretty much unnecessary.

I know there will always be a few, 90% of the queue seems to be needed to be told to take their coats off as they approach the belt, so they often ignore whatever signage and advice told. but a sign to point at would be nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.