Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2022 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2022, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
😑

This thread is the epitome of epicaricacy. Schadenfreude central. There are some genuine DYKWIA posts in the mix. Amusing, though. 😀
If I knew what 'epicaricacy' meant I would more than likely post a 'Like' to your comment! Lol
dcmike, TeflonMan, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Smile

Originally Posted by Fatdickie
Or undertaken by a BMW who then got stuck behind someone turning left
And to continue with the German car theme, let's not leave the Mercedes Benz driver on the hard shoulder with a deflated tyre out!
AnaTravel and Fatdickie like this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 3:18 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Ah, the not so subtle socio-economic positioning of the DYKWIA thread in action 😁
wrp96 and AnaTravel like this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 3:55 am

Delighted to come across my first DYKWIA type this week. If you’re on here please reassess your approach to life.

Arriving at the gate the board showed 1 minute to embarkation so I joined the group 2+3 line, behind a man with a big gold watch. He immediately asked me and the other youngish scruff behind me if we were both in group 2 or 3, obviously hoping to redirect us.

Having begrudgingly confirmed I was in the right place, I listened as he bored the other guy with his, “horrendous” experience with BA, making sure the whole gate heard how he always flies first and was horrified to have been bumped to economy on a 2 hour flight etc etc, due to a change of plane. 1 minute turns into ten and we board just as he’s saying he flies so much he’s going to be gold in “4 or 5 years…”

We board and of course I’m sat across the isle from him, his wife in the window seat and an elderly passenger who boarded in a wheel chair between them. They insisted she stayed there rather than sitting together and told the crew they’d like to be upgraded as they always travel first.

With the crew having non of it he immediately complained of leg pain and asked for a bigger seat. This time crew relent and tell him to hold tight. Watching his face drop as he realised the passenger being brought up from the emergency exit row was moving to business and not him was priceless and off he went for what I thought would be the rest of the flight.

Only to come back as seatbelts go on for landing, sitting forwards in the seat for 20 mins to take some pics of his “crushed” legs.

The real fun came at disembarkation. Watching me pack my bag he tells me the woman next to him needs special assistance, suggesting I stay seated and let them off first. Knowing she’s going nowhere quickly I ignore him and crack on, standing up to get my bag when allowed. He springs up at the same time and lifts the poor old dear (who doesn’t speak a word of English) up under her arm and starts dragging her into the isle.

A bilingual passenger then translates her screams, telling him she needs a wheelchair to get off. Not to be slowed down, he holds her up and encourages his wife to push past her into the isle, before dropping her back into the seat, all the while insisting he’s helping. I hope he honours his promise not to fly BA again!
Old Oct 7, 2022, 4:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Displacing a screaming disabled person to get out sooner isn't just DYKWIA territory, but I can't write the words that come to my mind because the mods would have my head...
dcmike, DYKWIA, MaxFlyer and 16 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Sunburnt Fred
Delighted to come across my first DYKWIA type this week. If you’re on here please reassess your approach to life.

Arriving at the gate the board showed 1 minute to embarkation so I joined the group 2+3 line, behind a man with a big gold watch. He immediately asked me and the other youngish scruff behind me if we were both in group 2 or 3, obviously hoping to redirect us.

Having begrudgingly confirmed I was in the right place, I listened as he bored the other guy with his, “horrendous” experience with BA, making sure the whole gate heard how he always flies first and was horrified to have been bumped to economy on a 2 hour flight etc etc, due to a change of plane. 1 minute turns into ten and we board just as he’s saying he flies so much he’s going to be gold in “4 or 5 years…”

We board and of course I’m sat across the isle from him, his wife in the window seat and an elderly passenger who boarded in a wheel chair between them. They insisted she stayed there rather than sitting together and told the crew they’d like to be upgraded as they always travel first.

With the crew having non of it he immediately complained of leg pain and asked for a bigger seat. This time crew relent and tell him to hold tight. Watching his face drop as he realised the passenger being brought up from the emergency exit row was moving to business and not him was priceless and off he went for what I thought would be the rest of the flight.

Only to come back as seatbelts go on for landing, sitting forwards in the seat for 20 mins to take some pics of his “crushed” legs.

The real fun came at disembarkation. Watching me pack my bag he tells me the woman next to him needs special assistance, suggesting I stay seated and let them off first. Knowing she’s going nowhere quickly I ignore him and crack on, standing up to get my bag when allowed. He springs up at the same time and lifts the poor old dear (who doesn’t speak a word of English) up under her arm and starts dragging her into the isle.

A bilingual passenger then translates her screams, telling him she needs a wheelchair to get off. Not to be slowed down, he holds her up and encourages his wife to push past her into the isle, before dropping her back into the seat, all the while insisting he’s helping. I hope he honours his promise not to fly BA again!
surely this should be classed as assault?
Old Oct 7, 2022, 4:58 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I’m surprised the crew didn’t say something especially as the elderly lady was screaming.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 5:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Wow! Disgusting.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Sunburnt Fred
... making sure the whole gate heard how he always flies first and was horrified to have been bumped to economy on a 2 hour flight etc etc, due to a change of plane. 1 minute turns into ten and we board just as he’s saying he flies so much he’s going to be gold in “4 or 5 years…”
He obviously doesn't know that his status resets every year - good luck in waiting the next 4-5 years.

And how would he not be Gold already, especially with the COVID-lowered TP requirement, if he truly "always flies first"?
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
He obviously doesn't know that his status resets every year - good luck in waiting the next 4-5 years.

And how would he not be Gold already, especially with the COVID-lowered TP requirement, if he truly "always flies first"?
Gold for Life?
Truly repulsive behaviour though.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 6:13 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Passing through JFK T7 last week, I went through the arch scanner they use for TSAPre passengers, having entered the security area using the Fast Track lane via the F check-in desks. I got the other side, and started to move left towards the x-ray belt to collect the two trays I'd put through.

Before I ever got there, an agitated guy who'd clearly triggered something on the full body scanner was standing on the patdown mat, shouting very loudly at the TSA officers "don't touch me". By now he had three officers around him, asking him to calm down and assuring him that if he hadn't made such a fuss they could have done the search by now and he'd have been on his way. This had absolutely zero effect, and he started complaining that his wallet was on the x-ray belt, and he wanted it in his hand before he let them do anything. Given that's not really how it works, obviously the officers weren't terribly keen on this plan, but they did offer to let him face the belt whilst the search was conducted so the wallet was in sight. I offered to pick it up for them and place it in their safe keeping, hoping it might appease him and calm him down, but by now he was on full-rant entitlement mode and holding everyone up behind him.

"My wife is over there, just fetch the wallet and hand it to her" was his next screamed line to the officers. Nope, not going to happen.

One officer started to move towards him to start the search, and raised his arm towards the man's shoulder. This merely caused him to decide the best way to get out of this was to shout "Don't touch me" even louder. The officers were, by now, both amused that the guy thought he could go through the pat down without being touched, and concerned enough by his behaviour that they called a supervisor. Essentially, the guy was now within a step of law enforcement, which of course generally doesn't end well.

I got my bags, identified which women was his wife, gently sidled up to her to verify this, and quietly suggested that she might like to tell him to stop shouting and amend his attitude, otherwise he likely wasn't getting on the plane. She, fortunately, had the sense to wander towards him and make a very clear gesture that now would be a very good time to shut up. Instant effect, and within 20 seconds they were both on their way.

The power and influence of one wife, compared to three TSA officers.

In retrospect, I wonder if I inadvertently met PUCCI GALORE?
Old Oct 7, 2022, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Not forgetting people who look in one direction and then walk in the opposite. Normally when coming out of a shop.
I know this is old, but while we are at it, can we add people that suddenly stop while walking? A lot of tourists with really large backpacks do this and as a short women, it usually results in me going face first into said backpack. if you need to stop, go to the side and do it.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by simonsmith
Trying to avoid people staring at their mobile phones while walking through any airport or in fact anywhere .
In my older age, i have to started to shout "eyes up!" like a sargeant angrily and seem to find that this works. I think i found out how to do this on this very board.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
I know this is old, but while we are at it, can we add people that suddenly stop while walking? A lot of tourists with really large backpacks do this and as a short women, it usually results in me going face first into said backpack. if you need to stop, go to the side and do it.
Spatial awreness died years ago when smartphones were invented.
BA or bust, SKT-DK, Shingi and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Passing through JFK T7 last week, I went through the arch scanner they use for TSAPre passengers, having entered the security area using the Fast Track lane via the F check-in desks. I got the other side, and started to move left towards the x-ray belt to collect the two trays I'd put through.

Before I ever got there, an agitated guy who'd clearly triggered something on the full body scanner was standing on the patdown mat, shouting very loudly at the TSA officers "don't touch me".
Possible that you saw an autistic man in distress?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.