Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2022 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BXK_Oz
He is a proper gender pronoun. Nothing to check.
There is indeed a need to check. Please refer to the screen handle of the original poster: SarahWest.

Doc Copper
Old Jun 9, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
There is indeed a need to check. Please refer to the screen handle of the original poster: SarahWest.

Doc Copper
My addled aged brain, do not know what I was thinking. My apologies to SarahWest.
Jimmie76 and Geordie405 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
This happened quite a few years ago but there are so many new members on here it might raise some new smiles.

My wife at the time and I were flying in J from YYZ to LHR with BA on a Avios 241 Amex redemption and had just completed a 2 week holiday. It was summer, we were in really casual wear (sandals / shorts plus 2 weeks stubble for me) and were in the CW check-in queue. A woman joins the queue behind us with what looks like a Gold Card in her hand, eyes us both up and down whilst huffing and puffing impatiently before saying, "this is the Business Class check in you know, Economy is over there" and gestured towards a long queue.

"Thank you" we reply and say nothing else. There are two CW desks open and they both become free at the same time so we are at one and this lady at the adjacent one and we can hear everything said. The agent dealing with this lady looked at her BP and says "I'm sorry madame, you have an Economy ticket not Club World" and the lady interrupts and shows the Gold Card to which the agent looks at and says, "this is not your card, it appears to be for another family member so I'm afraid I can't accept this. You will have to join the Economy queue to check-in". My wife could not resist mimicking the exact same dismissive / pointy gesture the lady had used at us just 5 minutes earlier and said "yes, the you'll find the Economy queue is over there"

this is brilliant 👍

I remember reading once on here, about a female kicking off on someone as they were ahead of them at check in or sonewere , and they’d asked what row are you in and the op said 64k, and because they were in row 50 for arguments sake , that they should check in before him 😂

it was a great dykwia story and would love to read it again
abraxias and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I was going to ask about cable ties somewhere else, and completely understand if this is taken off topic, but just wanted a short discussion of them.

One of my concerns (from tales from Chinese airlines) was people stealing from bags in cabin especially when most people are asleep, I take all my money and stick them in my pockets or down by the side, and saw someone had used cable ties on their hand luggage when I was on a bus waiting in April and did think "that might be a good idea".

Then I realised they could be taken as restrainey (but I suppose some other things could too, string etc), And also, with no knives onboard, you've pretty much committed those bags to be unopened until home. Which I suppose is ok if got camera equipment rather, or don't intend to use some of your cash.

So to make it on topic, I can see why some people carry cable ties.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:33 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Smid
I was going to ask about cable ties somewhere else, and completely understand if this is taken off topic, but just wanted a short discussion of them.

One of my concerns (from tales from Chinese airlines) was people stealing from bags in cabin especially when most people are asleep, I take all my money and stick them in my pockets or down by the side, and saw someone had used cable ties on their hand luggage when I was on a bus waiting in April and did think "that might be a good idea".

Then I realised they could be taken as restrainey (but I suppose some other things could too, string etc), And also, with no knives onboard, you've pretty much committed those bags to be unopened until home. Which I suppose is ok if got camera equipment rather, or don't intend to use some of your cash.

i mean realistically most cable ties i use can barely fit around my own wrist let alone two, or a wrist and an armrest etc.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by VSLover
i mean realistically most cable ties i use can barely fit around my own wrist let alone two, or a wrist and an armrest etc.
Yes, I guess that mitigates "Why do you have these sir?" questions.
VSLover likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:50 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
When I arrived at Heathrow there was 2 people waiting on the jetbridge with purple IDs (diplomatic I think?). They greeted someone in front of me and took him on a buggy. The driver sped off and hooted vigorously to get people out the way!
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Smid

You can open them by twisting a pen or knife/fork/spoon and the snap eventually
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
So who is the DYKWIA here?

Last flight to TFS i did, I was happily sitting in my 12c extra legroom aisle seat, with 2 empty seats next to me.

Y was about half full, and even after everybody made themselves comfortable there was 6 or 7 empty rows of 3 seats from row 17 back.

In front of me there was a somewhat large couple with a lap infant, and another lady with them, also with a lap infant.

Lady asked cabin crew if she could sit in my row, and crew said not until after take off as it was an emergency exit row.

Not particularly wanting to be joined by them I put my headphones on, shut my eyes. I was tapped lightly on the arm a couple of times and then left alone. { Lady took her little darling a few rows back I discovered later. }

Anyway I magically woke up about 10 minutes later, got my luggage down and happily spread myself over the 3 seats to do some work.

About 30 minutes later, the couple in fronts little darling was asleep across 2 seats, and the large gentleman in front of me asked if I minded if one of them could use one of my seats whilst they were asleep.

I said I did mind to which he said "but you didn't pay for those seats!"

Neither did you I replied, however I have paid for an extra legroom seat, did you? { Didn't mention status or theoretical seating. }

Anyway his Mrs ended up a few rows back with her friend.

​​​​​​If they were the only empty seats on the plane my attitude would have been different, but it was half full at best.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
You, I'd say!
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:39 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by The Geek
About 30 minutes later, the couple in fronts little darling was asleep across 2 seats, and the large gentleman in front of me asked if I minded if one of them could use one of my seats whilst they were asleep.
They wanted to move their kid away from them to sleep next to a stranger? Bizarre.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
They wanted to move their kid away from them to sleep next to a stranger? Bizarre.
No the kid had gone to sleep and they had laid him across 2 seats in their row.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
You, I'd say!
Yay, knew I'd make it onto my favourite thread one day.

Just a shame I didn't have my Louis Vuitton hand luggage with Gold tags attached at the time.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
You can open them by twisting a pen or knife/fork/spoon and the snap eventually
And most regular-sized zip ties can also be cut with nail clippers, either severed completely (the smaller ones) or at least nicked so that a twisting action ultimately snaps them. In fact my best tool (which I have only ever had confiscated once, at RAK for what it's worth) is a pair of toenail scissors with a short blade and longer handle, which generate an impressive amount of force for their size !
_kurt, wrp96, Smid and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:07 am

slight chuckle when boarding… DYKWIA in a suit pushing up to the front for priority boarding (yes, sir we are all waiting)… at boarding card scan.. failed and pulled aside, just as rest allowed through… could hear a kerfuffle only for him to be told the power point for his seat wasn't working! How frustrating!!
EDIwanderer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.