Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2022 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by 13901
I wish the escalators at Heathrow followed the same unwritten rule as on the Tube (right hand side standing, left hand side for those who actually want to get a move).
i wish pavements would follow the same too!!! I’m always amazed by the ability of 2-3 people to obliviously block an entire city crowd behind them by ensuring they spread just wide enough to make it impossible for anyone to pass them…
IAN-UK, VSLover, cammyloon and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
i wish pavements would follow the same too!!! I’m always amazed by the ability of 2-3 people to obliviously block an entire city crowd behind them by ensuring they spread just wide enough to make it impossible for anyone to pass them…
and short people with giant golf umbrellas.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by VSLover
You two run for office and my vote is yours.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.

And anyone who plays golf! apart form one regular contributor on here (GolfMad)
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Not forgetting people who look in one direction and then walk in the opposite. Normally when coming out of a shop.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by T8191
See also the use of the cross-passage in the People Eaters at IAD. One is invisible to the driver who shouts "Move down the bus". On one occasion this enabled us to beat a well-known and senior UK politician to Immigration.
I go maybe a third of the way down, stand on the side, completely ignore the driver, and say nothing. IAD's inane system for getting you to immigration and trying to load everyone from a fully loaded widebody on two shuttles is not my problem.

My username is very old and I don't feel like changing it. 🤪
wrp96, Gastrocnemius and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I go maybe a third of the way down, stand on the side, completely ignore the driver, and say nothing. IAD's inane system for getting you to immigration and trying to load everyone from a fully loaded widebody on two shuttles is not my problem.

My username is very old and I don't feel like changing it. 🤪
There's nothing like getting off an A380 and then being kettled into a people mover. I think it must be up there for worst arrival experience at any airport.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:36 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Adstring
There's nothing like getting off an A380 and then being kettled into a people mover. I think it must be up there for worst arrival experience at any airport.
LHR is definitely trying to rival it!

M
wrp96, becks1 and Ramos like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:50 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

This thread used to be about DYKWIA encounters. Of late, we started sounding here like DYKWIA ourselves
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Adstring
Arriving Miami on a 380, with only one of the two people movers working. That was April. Horrific.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:35 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Not forgetting people who look in one direction and then walk in the opposite. Normally when coming out of a shop.
Trying to avoid people staring at their mobile phones while walking through any airport or in fact anywhere .
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:21 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Why, do you not look ahead of you?
Motorways have bends if you've not noticed. I was almost involved in a nasty accident when a lorry went round a bend to be confronted with a van stopped in lane 1. The lorry had 2 options... plough into the back of the van, or pull out into lane 2 (where I was). He chose the 2nd option Fortunately, I was awake enough to slam my brakes on and he just missed me.

Death traps.
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:51 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Motorways have bends if you've not noticed. I was almost involved in a nasty accident when a lorry went round a bend to be confronted with a van stopped in lane 1. The lorry had 2 options... plough into the back of the van, or pull out into lane 2 (where I was). He chose the 2nd option Fortunately, I was awake enough to slam my brakes on and he just missed me.

Death traps.
I dare say the frequency of those incidents whilst easily identified is lower than the damage middle lanes driving does; however it would be hard to prove.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

Death traps.
Much of the A1 North of Baldock has 2 lanes and no hard shoulder. I've been driving up and down it for 20 years without incident. You have to drive to the conditions and expect the unexpected. And the bends driving North towards Black Cat roundabout that cannot be taken at the speed limit makes any motorway bend look like a ruler.
Akoz likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Both are a hazard. Smart motorways are no such thing and are definitely dangerous. Another example of a bright idea with absolutely no thinking beyond the end of the decision makers’ noses.
The manoeuvres forced on faster traffic behind a hogger are unnecessary and increase the potential for collisions.
I have no idea which causes more damage but I know what the Highway Code says and with a few exceptions drivers should keep left unless overtaking.

I guess we’re well OT now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.