Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport never works at eGates?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:04 am

Programs: IHG Gold
My passport has never worked at egates either - in the UK. Once, an officer said the antenna was broken. However, it *has* worked at egates in Portugal, Germany, Spain, and New Zealand...

signol
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA, AA, Lufthansa
Deranged behaviour update

AU passport now approved and paid for. So I am in deep, and pretty well guaranteeing the UK passport works on return tomorrow…
bpk6h likes this.

Last edited by wportre; Jun 23, 2022 at 8:06 am
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:26 pm

Hair clip was an instant failure. Didn't even get my multiple tries this time.

I give up, going straight to the desks on my next return. So frustrating.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
My blue passport worked fine for the first time (and at my first attempt) at LHR T2 over the weekend. I made sure I pressed the page really hard against the reader, I’m not sure if that made any difference!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:26 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
My EU and the following time my blue passport worked fine at T2 this month. Plane to curbside in less than 10 minutes
Old Jun 28, 2022, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have two UK issued passport (for visa puposes), and both have not worked at e-gates since I returned back to business travel in November 2021.

I recently got an answer from the border force officer (as now I don't even bother trying the e-gates and skip directly to the assistance queue). He informed me that someone currently has a very similar name and DOB to me and is a person of interest to the Home Office. Until said person is found and spoken to/dealt with - I'm basically a menual border force check.

Great.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BillyBleach
I have two UK issued passport (for visa puposes), and both have not worked at e-gates since I returned back to business travel in November 2021.

I recently got an answer from the border force officer (as now I don't even bother trying the e-gates and skip directly to the assistance queue). He informed me that someone currently has a very similar name and DOB to me and is a person of interest to the Home Office. Until said person is found and spoken to/dealt with - I'm basically a menual border force check.

Great.
I have the very same issue, and told exactly the same thing. He even told me not to bother using the eGates in the UK because I would always be rejected.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:56 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
My passport NEVER works at U.K. e gates over many attempts, yet did at DUB. Weird
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by BillyBleach
What a nightmare! An IT fix for this should be straightforward...at the bare, bare minimum they should check the date the alert was added, and any passports issued in the UK after this date should be exempted. A new passport would then at least provide a path out of this mess.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by cauchy
What a nightmare! An IT fix for this should be straightforward...at the bare, bare minimum they should check the date the alert was added, and any passports issued in the UK after this date should be exempted. A new passport would then at least provide a path out of this mess.
I must admit I have wondered why they can't clear down the flag on passports once they've checked you. It would save both sides so much time.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Is there ANY recourse for those of us condemned to forever more take our place in the queue for a manual passport check? I just have to accept that my brand new passport will simply NEVER work in the e-gates? It's just 'one of those things' that is too difficult to try and fix?
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Starship73
Is there ANY recourse for those of us condemned to forever more take our place in the queue for a manual passport check? I just have to accept that my brand new passport will simply NEVER work in the e-gates? It's just 'one of those things' that is too difficult to try and fix?
Become a bounty hunter and track down your namesake?
DaveS likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by cauchy
Originally Posted by S_W_S
I must admit I have wondered why they can't clear down the flag on passports once they've checked you. It would save both sides so much time.
That's a bit ambitious! It would depend how its implemented, but I imagine it's along the lines of - read passport, search threats database, potential hit detected, send person to desk. Which would mean no actual flag directly attached to a specific passport. To fix this hypothetical setup, I imagine they'd need to build an exception table at the potential hit detected stage - to exclude specific database entries from search results for a specific passport. Who knows how many millions the Home Office were quoted for this functionality.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ringingup
My blue passport worked fine for the first time (and at my first attempt) at LHR T2 over the weekend. I made sure I pressed the page really hard against the reader, I’m not sure if that made any difference!
I believe it does as I’ve done the same and it’s helped. I think CWS posted upthread that it helps a stop light getting into the scan reducing rejection.
ringingup likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
Knowing that mine never works, I head straight for the human desk. On a recent trip I was headed off by a roving member of staff who insisted that I went through the e gate. I queued, failed to get past the machine and then joined the human desk queue, way further back than my original position.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.