Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport never works at eGates?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by OGG flyer
Not sure this was mentioned anywhere but British passport holders will now be able to use eGates in Spain.
This has been the case for some time. PP still has to be manually stamped though.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by OGG flyer
Not sure this was mentioned anywhere but British passport holders will now be able to use eGates in Spain.
Originally Posted by RG1X
I look forward to my passport not working in those too!
I recently got to test the French eGates at St Pancras, worked first time! It's the same setup as Spain - clear the gate then collect the stamp.
RG1X likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 12:23 am

Programs: BA, AA, Lufthansa
St Pancras

Me too: I’m in the lounge now. Failed at the gate but I am pretty sure the gate wasn’t fully “awake” yet (no camera lights and the line had just been switched on).

No FOIA response yet b(5weeks must be close).

AU passport due mid-August
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Reading https://assets.publishing.service.go...nuary_2021.pdf

7.10 The e-Passport gates check to see whether a passenger is subject to a watchlist match and will flag the details of the match to the Border Force Officers performing e-Passport gate roles for appropriate follow up action depending on the nature of watchlist entry, including informing the watchlist data owner of the encounter at the border
So the watchlist rejection looks to be false information as generally the 'seek assistance' is during the initial machine readable information.

7.17 You may not be aware of the exact reason for referral but as up to 75% of rejections are for facial recognition failure, this should be borne in mind when comparing the passport image with the passenger presenting it.
Facial recognition is only attempted after (1) successful read of ePassport chip (b) camera photo of face. In most cases I never get to a framed face shot at UK gates.

10.2 Fujitsu provides both a weekly and monthly report on the gates’ performance in relation to the WI. These reports detail total passengers, exit forward (where a passenger is allowed through the gates), referrals, and the referrals percentage on a port-by-port basis.
So is anybody reading the reports and benchmarking? Last week the referral queues at LHR T5 were long

10.11 Officers assured inspectors that they encouraged eligible passengers to use the gates where they could, stating that “we try to get people to use the gates, but we can’t force them”.
but
10.16 The inconsistencies meant that it was difficult to identify trends in incidents within and across ports. In some cases, the records were of poor quality and were handwritten, with little information recorded in relation to outcomes. Where record keeping was clearer and in digital form, it was still difficult to pick out patterns as incidents were recorded in free text, making filtering to identify trends impossible
10.18 One officer told inspectors that the most common reason for gates breaking down at their port was “software bugs” caused by the “age of the equipment”. Another told inspectors that the gates were “well past their lifespan” and that this caused incidents to occur more regularly
Oh dear - I wonder if the aged gates have problems with the Gemalto chips in the new Blue passports. Most of the rereferral queues I experienced at LHR T5 has Blue passports in their hands

10.28 Inspectors asked to see records of complaints received about the gates from passengers who use them. The Home Office was not able to provide these records.
Oh dear
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by UKTony
Interesting read, this bit under 7.17 perhaps explains why I always feel a bit of hostility from the officer when coming through as rejected by the eGates:
On the referrals desk you must always assume that a passenger has been referred because they may be an impostor.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by UKTony
So is anybody reading the reports and benchmarking? Last week the referral queues at LHR T5 were long
I saw some reports when I was last working at Heathrow. I was allowed to see a few months' worth of data that was summarised to really only show the transaction times and 'pass rates' so to speak. No detail on reason for rejections/failures.

This was for a joint project with BF at the time to better understand flow rates rather than delve into why some passports work and others don't.

Some interesting stats: It takes just under 14 seconds to read the passport and return a decision. That can feel like an age so don't go wriggling the passport about! Success rate is about 92% so failures are less likely than the FT sample size might suggest. These figures are based on a sample size of about 14m reads over 8 months (pre covid, obvs)

My old passport (EU version) was very unreliable. My new British passport is much the same but does seem to be more hit than miss.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
I saw some reports when I was last working at Heathrow. I was allowed to see a few months' worth of data that was summarised to really only show the transaction times and 'pass rates' so to speak. No detail on reason for rejections/failures.

This was for a joint project with BF at the time to better understand flow rates rather than delve into why some passports work and others don't.

Some interesting stats: It takes just under 14 seconds to read the passport and return a decision. That can feel like an age so don't go wriggling the passport about! Success rate is about 92% so failures are less likely than the FT sample size might suggest. These figures are based on a sample size of about 14m reads over 8 months (pre covid, obvs)

My old passport (EU version) was very unreliable. My new British passport is much the same but does seem to be more hit than miss.
The 92% likely relates to the facial matching algorithm which has specific threshold set (in the document I referenced). MRZ read failure etc is not reported
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Everytime I try and use the e gates at Heathrow I get pulled up. Even with a new passport!
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:48 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
Some interesting stats: It takes just under 14 seconds to read the passport and return a decision.
This is interesting as sometimes the gate has opened almost instantly for me the moment I put my passport in, though other times it does take a very long time, probably 14 seconds.

Also I very slightly damaged my passport at the start of covid, but it still works in the gates (and worked in the EU gates during 2020). I've been through the manual line a few times when with my child or when the egates were off and no UK immigration officer has picked up on this damage; neither did any Schengen officer in 2020, although since stamping has become required I've used another passport in Schengen.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:12 am

Programs: BA, AA, Lufthansa
Gare du Nord update

French egates fine. France seems to have joined the crowd allowing Brexity Brits to join their citoyens in the egates.

Then the fun: and this may help orhers. Using more “face” than I usually have I squeezed narrowly down the UK egate queues and off to the “reject pile” on the right. I drew a couple of French-language grumbles but no doubt that was OK as I disappeared (dodging a not-particularly threatening “guard”). The rejects were being interlaced quite quickly with the large number of Americans and a few others not using the egates. Good outcome and the train leaving on time. Result.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 2:30 am

Programs: BA EC
After queuing for 90 minutes at the Border at LTN in late March, wife on her Romanian passport sailed through the e-gates, my UK passport was rejected.

When I eventually got to the BF Officer after another long wait, he told me " Oh, we have huge problems with the e-gates"
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:41 am

Made my final attempt. Cleaned the page, removed my fitness band (no NFC etc), used a clip to hold the page open... still the same.

Will go straight to the desk from now on.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Tried the hair clip method today and it finally worked after 1 "try again". Thanks for the tip
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:33 am

I tried again, glutton for punishment. lol

No prizes for guessing what happened.
DaveS likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
There are apps available on your respective app store that can read passports. That is one good way to decipher if it is your chip or if you're on the watch list.
baharini and roked like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.