Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport never works at eGates?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: EK, VS, SA, HH
Originally Posted by Schwann
There are apps available on your respective app store that can read passports. That is one good way to decipher if it is your chip or if you're on the watch list.
Seconding this. For iOS/Android, the "ReadID Me" app (and probably others) are capable of scanning not only passports but some ID cards/drivers licenses, great fun to test out and you can save a digital copy of your passport photo!
MaxFlyer, IMH and roked like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:16 am

There are apps available on your respective app store that can read passports. That is one good way to decipher if it is your chip or if you're on the watch list.
Chip read just fine, pic was as expected.

Watchlist it is then! I assume there's little I can do about that?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Used LHR T5 egate for the first time ever and no issues (US passport)
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RG1X
Chip read just fine, pic was as expected.

Watchlist it is then! I assume there's little I can do about that?
I was just joking about the watch list thing but it could be to do with someone with a similar or same name being on one.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by apacuk
Can I ask a vaguely related question about ETIAS? I have a UK passport and Swiss Residence/Work Permit. I don't get my passport stamped at Geneva and the days spent in Switzerland don't count towards my 90/180 days in Europe.
I assume in the future that ETIAS will count my days in Europe and flag if I have overstayed.
So what happens if I enter Europe at Calais, drive to Switzerland, spend a few weeks there, drive back again exiting the EU at Calais. How do I stop ETIAS counting my days in Switzerland. I've pinged ETIAS via their contact page but nobody answers.
(The problem exists today with passport stamps, but at least if a human challenges me I'll have the paperwork to back up my Swiss trips. If "ETIAS computer says no" I'm probably stuffed)

Thanks!
In principle you shouldn't be stamped by France if showing your Swiss residence permit.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:06 pm

I was just joking about the watch list thing but it could be to do with someone with a similar or same name being on one.
So frustrating, as there really seems like no obvious reason for there to be a problem. At least not that the agents have let on anyway.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
I got "seek assistance" again on a recent return, and this time had a friendly and rather chatty border agent so tried to ask if he saw any issues with my passport or why he thought it tells me to "seek assistance" most of the time.

He said the most common reason is not looking directly at the camera. I'm pretty sure I was standing still looking straight into it, but now that he mentioned it I'll pay close attention to where I'm looking next time and see if it makes any difference.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze, HHonors: Silver, Virgin Flying Club: Red, Miles & More
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
I got "seek assistance" again on a recent return, and this time had a friendly and rather chatty border agent so tried to ask if he saw any issues with my passport or why he thought it tells me to "seek assistance" most of the time.

He said the most common reason is not looking directly at the camera. I'm pretty sure I was standing still looking straight into it, but now that he mentioned it I'll pay close attention to where I'm looking next time and see if it makes any difference.
I get this all the time now, and last time I also asked if the border agent could see a reason why it didn't work and he did say, albeit politely, that if he knew he wouldn't tell me, which I guess is a security thing.

I did just try ReadID Me, and sure enough the chip wouldn't read, so at least for me I now know the problem. I tried my wife's in case it was something I was doing wrong, but that worked fine. Thankfully will be renewing my passport later this year.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by UKTony
Reading https://assets.publishing.service.go...nuary_2021.pdf

So the watchlist rejection looks to be false information as generally the 'seek assistance' is during the initial machine readable information.

Facial recognition is only attempted after (1) successful read of ePassport chip (b) camera photo of face. In most cases I never get to a framed face shot at UK gates.

So is anybody reading the reports and benchmarking? Last week the referral queues at LHR T5 were long

but

Oh dear - I wonder if the aged gates have problems with the Gemalto chips in the new Blue passports. Most of the rereferral queues I experienced at LHR T5 has Blue passports in their hands

Oh dear
And just in my inbox

The ICIBI has commenced a monitoring review of ePassport gates

Page summary:
The review will examine the Home Office’s progress against the recommendations made in the previous inspection report on ePassport gates (June 2020 – January 2021).

Change made:
First published.

Time updated:
4:34pm, 20 July 2022
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
I have commented a few times upthread about this, but my guess is that in about three quarters of cases where people constantly have problems it's due to technique (pressing down passport correctly), followed by significant changes to face compared to photo in the passport. Beards, spectacles, hats. If you don't then clearly stare at the camera lens, ideally using a similar expression as used on the passport, then it's not surprising if you get rejected thanks to a blurred view of the side of your face.There is a knack to it, but you can see upthread that those FTers who go through the UK Border every week are not, on the whole, participants in this thread.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:21 am

Programs: BA
I've had 'seek assistance' ever since I got my latest (blue) passport. Same on every UK entry, tried the various techniques above. Chip is fine, works abroad. I've been asking border staff and get variations of nothing through to 'you have a common name' which I'm convinced is the official fob-off as is distinctly not true of my surname (only a few dozen of us in the country).

Contacted Passport office and got told to send it in for inspection (I haven't, I can see the chip is working fine, I need a passport).

Looking at other ideas - anyone tried a home office subject data request or an FOI to see if that reveals anything that might help?
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Am coming to this a bit late, but I always had problems with a former (red) passport of mine, until one day a Border Force agent told me there was sometimes an issue about the way the passports are made that can affect how the details page is read. He recommended that in future, instead of just opening the passport at the details page and holding that in the reader, I actually fold back the front cover so that it was JUST the details page that went into the reader, not that + the cover. Never had a problem with it being read after that, until it expired!
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I was told on sunday (not for the first time), my name was similar to someone border force were looking for and until that was resolved I would not be able to successfully use an E-gate. This has been the case all year now!!
Old Jul 29, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: Mucci; BAEC GGL; (In memoriam: KLM Flying Dutchman Royal Wing & FB Platinum Elite)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have commented a few times upthread about this, but my guess is that in about three quarters of cases where people constantly have problems it's due to technique (pressing down passport correctly), followed by significant changes to face compared to photo in the passport. Beards, spectacles, hats. If you don't then clearly stare at the camera lens, ideally using a similar expression as used on the passport, then it's not surprising if you get rejected thanks to a blurred view of the side of your face.There is a knack to it, but you can see upthread that those FTers who go through the UK Border every week are not, on the whole, participants in this thread.
I would agree, given the comments from the BF chap on 27/7 I’m sure that most of it is technique. However, the OH used the ‘kirby grib’ trick ( pinched from an elderly relative) as outlined above, since he had so many problems previously, and amazingly it worked. Will see if it’s a one off or not.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just to add to this. There are many reasons a rejection takes place. Things like the chip as mentioned above, low score on the photo match, unable to read the MRZ, stop list, ineligibility for e-gates, security markings as well as manual intervention.

Also BF officers are not allowed to divulge the reasons for failure, consequently FOIA requests won't work and they should refuse to tell you when you ask them why the rejection took place.

Annoying if it keeps happening, but other than technique there isn't a lot you can do about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.