Passport never works at eGates?

Old Sep 7, 2022, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I just returned on Monday through Eurostar UK security at Brussels and yet again my passport failed at the E-gates (0 of 6 attempts in the last year successful, mostly T5 LHR).

One station manned with an indian lady with about six children standing at it, some of the children were were not related, queue behind her I'd probably still be there, if the second desk didn't open.

At least at LHR there's a desk to deal with the system failing (and I've never had e-gates fail before my new passport in the UK), but a failing system needs contingency to cover people the parts being broken. I think they understand that at least at T5, never waited more than a few minutes to get through,

Though I must admit, they've had a goooood look at the passport there, and the last few times through T5. I have a common name,
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Last week returning to T5 eGate tried 3 times then gave 'Seek Assistance' with a long queue for the well staffed BF desks doing manual checks. So 100% failure on UK eGates, no problems with EU ABC where accepted.

Using a ePassport NFR reader the chip works fine but reports 'Passive Authentication failed' whilst 'Chip Authentication Pass'. My OH has an older passport which reports Fail on both so not sure the app is much use. PA is the first step and any failure results in the rejection which would explain the very fast 'Seek Assistance' response.

More interesting is the chip activates a credit card reading app which say my passport is a Visa Debit card expiring in 12/22 with 3 PIN attempts allowed and checking the card number "The credit card number you entered passed the Luhn Check and is therefore a valid credit card number!" and my passport expires in Dec 2030. Card BIN 465922 reveals "VISA debit card (PLATINUM level) issued by Barclays Bank Plc in United Kingdom" and from my time at Barclays I know they use Gemalto card personalisation services as does UKPA (mine is one of the first black passports which use Gemalto NFID chips).
EuropeanPete and DaveS like this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Wow, it sounds like as I suspected that there's something up with the new passports, but given the level of government IT competence, there's not a chance it will be solved. I might as well, just skip the e-gates now. They're broken.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Mine hasn't worked at the UK eGates for months, I now try to walk straight to the rejection queue but I'm often forced by staff to go to the eGates first, even if I try to tell them it fails every time.

I find the manual desk really varies, and sometimes it takes a long time to get through if the border force agent on duty is being thorough and asking everyone where they've flown in from etc. Others just swipe the passport and let you go through quicker than the eGate would have opened if it had worked.

I also now try to politely ask the agent if they can see any reason why my passport never works on the eGates, most just shrug and say I might have picked a faulty gate or didn't hold it down hard enough or still enough. So don't think it's someone with a similar name being on a wanted list in my case .
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My wife's new-ish passport doesn't like the LGW gates. After several attempts, and a 'helper' getting her to use other machines, it was the walk of shame and inconvenience to the Desk. After scanning there, he just said "You have a temperamental Passport'" ... Gee, thanks.

It worked fine at ... LHR, PHX, ANU, PUJ, KIN.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
My wife's new-ish passport doesn't like the LGW gates. After several attempts, and a 'helper' getting her to use other machines, it was the walk of shame and inconvenience to the Desk. After scanning there, he just said "You have a temperamental Passport'" ... Gee, thanks.

It worked fine at ... LHR, PHX, ANU, PUJ, KIN.
mine has worked at every EU entry and exit point I have been allowed to use. But it doesnt work at T5. I was told its creased, a bit its owner, so I took an iron to it! It still doesnt work!!

I now give a go and simply wAlk.

I refuse to change it in part because its valid till 2028 but mostly because I dont want one of this ghastly useless blue books
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The only place where my passport is guaranteed not to work is MAN. Sort of goes with the MAN situation.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:22 pm

Mine has this problem, it has not worked for several years.

I always ask and quite often they say 'oh its a fault' or 'I don't know' or 'it's your technique in the machines'. A few weeks ago someone told me "we are looking for someone with your name". Today - I found a friendly border officer in the "seek assistance" lane and asked again why it never works, he offered to check it out. He told me "your passport works fine, you are fine, but it will never work in the gates. You always have to try because it shows up on our screen if you don't". When pressed on the reason he said "you have a common name, that's all I can say". So I assume correlated with the earlier officer saying they were looking for someone with my name, I'm thinking that's the reason.

Here's hoping they are caught soon as it's inconvenient as a regular international commuter.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
You would of thought that other factors such as DOB would show that you are not the person. Of interest.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by alextheengineer
Mine has this problem, it has not worked for several years.

I always ask and quite often they say 'oh its a fault' or 'I don't know' or 'it's your technique in the machines'. A few weeks ago someone told me "we are looking for someone with your name". Today - I found a friendly border officer in the "seek assistance" lane and asked again why it never works, he offered to check it out. He told me "your passport works fine, you are fine, but it will never work in the gates. You always have to try because it shows up on our screen if you don't". When pressed on the reason he said "you have a common name, that's all I can say". So I assume correlated with the earlier officer saying they were looking for someone with my name, I'm thinking that's the reason.

Here's hoping they are caught soon as it's inconvenient as a regular international commuter.
Well, it's not like the officer is doing any investigating when you get sent to the desk? So why do you (or they) think they'll ever catch the person they're looking for?

This is farcical.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by cauchy
Well, it's not like the officer is doing any investigating when you get sent to the desk? So why do you (or they) think they'll ever catch the person they're looking for?

This is farcical.
Or it may be that you just aren't aware of it.
flight125 likes this.

Last edited by Saladman; Sep 15, 2022 at 2:58 am
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:07 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by alextheengineer
".....You always have to try because it shows up on our screen if you don't"
Yeah, and? That's a little ridiculous for them to say that - what are they going to do? Make you go to the back of the queue??

I skipped the e-Gates at EDI last week by simply telling the assistant that mine doesn't work. BF agent was fine, no questions asked - I've given up asking about why I'm rejected or indeed volunteering any information other than a pleasant good morning/hi there.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:08 am

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Wow, I was impressed going through T5 with my US passport (issued 2014). I first went to the "All Passports" line and the agent told me US Passports should now go through the gates, so off I went. I was unsure what to expect. The scanner read my passport fine and I was through in seconds.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by cauchy

This is farcical.
They don't have to get caught in the airport do they? I was assuming if they are wanted then the police (Interpol if they are abroad) would stand at least a chance of intercepting them.

But I am confused how they can't use DoB, passport number, or some other unique identifier to differentiate. My guess is they have a photo of this wanted man they are comparing me to or something if it's true, who knows.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 12:16 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
They do use things to differentiate, but I think if a certain number of these identifiers match to the wanted person (i.e. not all have to match) then you are pulled.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.