Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport never works at eGates?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Confus
I was told last year by a UKBF agent that I’m effectively banned from using the e-gates until I get a new passport, so I use this as reason not to bother trying any more (whenever I have, he’s been right, and I’m one who used to have a 100% success rate). Worse still, as a result of needing to see an agent I now get Priti’s personal ‘culture of hostility’ with full-on interrogation every second entry (I’m British). Last time that happened I came away feeling I’d been waterboarded.
I'm in the same boat as of last year, my passport never works in the egates anymore (despite like you, having a 100% success rate before). I actually asked going through LGW a few weeks ago whether I needed a new passport (it's only 2 years old, but the chip could have gone), and the officer just said "you and your passport are fine". Likewise I get the interrogation too, it's most annoying.

I haven't found a way to avoid the egates yet, and I keep trying in the hope that it might just work.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by S_W_S
I'm in the same boat as of last year, my passport never works in the egates anymore (despite like you, having a 100% success rate before). I actually asked going through LGW a few weeks ago whether I needed a new passport (it's only 2 years old, but the chip could have gone), and the officer just said "you and your passport are fine". Likewise I get the interrogation too, it's most annoying.

I haven't found a way to avoid the egates yet, and I keep trying in the hope that it might just work.
Same. Gone from 100% to 0%. Really frustrating.

Passport officer said that there might be a slight crease in the page as I'm putting it down. But I'm sceptical.

Edit - Reading post 4 I wonder if it could be the new version of my fitness strap causing it.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 1:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Confus
I was told last year by a UKBF agent that I’m effectively banned from using the e-gates until I get a new passport, so I use this as reason not to bother trying any more (whenever I have, he’s been right, and I’m one who used to have a 100% success rate). Worse still, as a result of needing to see an agent I now get Priti’s personal ‘culture of hostility’ with full-on interrogation every second entry (I’m British). Last time that happened I came away feeling I’d been waterboarded.

I’m intrigued, in what way are you interrogated? I have similar problems with my new UK passport being rejected 100% of the time but my interactions with UKBF have always been brief and polite, usually a quick ‘where have you travelled from’ and a ‘what was the purpose of travel’ or ‘where are you travelling to’ (I always go through flight connections to travel back to MAN).
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:09 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite,Star Alliance
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I’m intrigued, in what way are you interrogated? I have similar problems with my new UK passport being rejected 100% of the time but my interactions with UKBF have always been brief and polite, usually a quick ‘where have you travelled from’ and a ‘what was the purpose of travel’ or ‘where are you travelling to’ (I always go through flight connections to travel back to MAN).
Yes me too....nothing like the US😄😄😄😄
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:51 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
The quality of the newer passports is poor. I have a 50% reject rate as the chip page creases. I can't help feeling that they are also less secure since the signature has to be done on receipt rather than it being scanned in.
flyertalker0013223 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Basically that, but often a bit more in depth. It doesn't take long, but still slows things down when you just want to get out of the airport. The first time it failed it was polite, every single one after that has felt hostile.

If only we had redress numbers in the UK!
Old Apr 27, 2022, 7:27 am

I'm very tempted to say "cut the chitchat, I live here, my trip was fine, let me in".

...and end up getting strip searched.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 7:45 am

Like most, I find the eGates at LHR quite temperamental. In the last month or so I tried those in use in MAD and KEF (for EU passport holders) and found them to be a lot better, in terms of user experience. One of the key elements they have is that, when you have your photo taken, the screen provides a contour of one's head, so you know where to aim and where to stand. on the LHR version the system says "look at the camera" but there's actually two of them! Anyway, since receiving a new passport in 2019 I've been keeping it in a waterproof bag at home and on the road so to prevent damages from humidity and so far...so good.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 7:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Basically that, but often a bit more in depth. It doesn't take long, but still slows things down when you just want to get out of the airport. The first time it failed it was polite, every single one after that has felt hostile.

If only we had redress numbers in the UK!
In what way was it hostile? I don't understand why an IO would behave in a hostile manner, grumpy fair enough, but hostile? They should be polite and professional at all times.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:14 am

Question for those of us who hold multiple nationalities: Are the eGates linked to API? When I flew back the other day, the airline (FR) had my Italian passport details. I booked the one-way flight on the go and didn't have my UK passport at hand, so I just selected the passport details that were saved on the FR app. I then forgot to change the info to match my UK passport. Could a mismatch between API and the passport presented at the eGate cause a rejection?

When flying in late 2020 and 2021, I would always input my UK passport number in the PLF, even if the Italian passport number remained because of my forgetfulness in the saved API, but now that the PLF is gone, UKBF did not "expect" my UK passport to appear on Monday...
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
No, I don't think there is any link like that between API and epassport gates - many of us have entered the UK without any API in to start with.

I don't think the PLF was ever linked to epassport gates either.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I don't think the PLF was ever linked to epassport gates either.
I also used to have my doubts about it, but when my UK passport was having issues in December at LCY, when the LCY agent noticed that I was holding the other passport in the other hand, he did ask me "Did you put the UK passport number on the PLF?" so I assumed that in fact there was a link between PLF and eGates. I then did as he said ("Pull the cover to the very back so that only the laminated data page is inserted") and the machine worked... though I don't like doing it because it feels like I'm breaking what feels like a super fragile document LOL
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tosaerba24
I also used to have my doubts about it, but when my UK passport was having issues in December at LCY, when the LCY agent noticed that I was holding the other passport in the other hand, he did ask me "Did you put the UK passport number on the PLF?" so I assumed that in fact there was a link between PLF and eGates.
I (and I know others) used the e-passport gates occasionally without a PLF when they were required.

It may be if you go to the agent they can bring up any PLF with the same passport number of course.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Originally Posted by RG1X
Same. Gone from 100% to 0%. Really frustrating.

Passport officer said that there might be a slight crease in the page as I'm putting it down. But I'm sceptical.

Since my 2020 renewal 5 out of 5 eGate attempts have failed. So
- Does the chip work? YES using an ePassport reader app
- Is the optically readable information correct and matches the information needed to read the chip - YES

Failure case is immediate (Seek Assistance) so it points to one of two problems:
1. OCR is failing due to the use of a reflective film over the MRZ (Machine Readable Zone)
2, One of the checksum digits is wrong in the MRZ zone

The last time it got rejected I queried the BF person about getting a new passport he said "don't bother save your money" so I guess they are aware of the problem just not able to fix right now.

Last edited by UKTony; Apr 27, 2022 at 10:20 am Reason: added MRZ
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:35 pm

I’m intrigued, in what way are you interrogated?
In what way was it hostile? I don't understand why an IO would behave in a hostile manner, grumpy fair enough, but hostile? They should be polite and professional at all times.
In a way that I can only describe as uniquely British, it’s entirely possible to be both polite and hostile at the same time.

Last time it happened, I had to account in detail for each of the 10 days I’d been away, all the domestic flights I’d taken (I’d been in the US), explain how DFW is a huge connecting hub so I hadn’t actually visited Dallas despite arriving from there, explain most of the 50ish stamps in my passport, provide my full home address along that of my travel companion (who’d long since passed through the e-gates unhindered), and explain my current and previous employment history. All while a large queue was building behind me and I just wanted to get home and sleep. It reminded me of the ‘talking tough’ press briefings where Priti promised all foreigners would be interrogated to within an inch of their life, but made no mention of Brits.

I do understand that UKBF has a job to do, and I will always co-operate as much as I can. I’m unfailingly polite in return. But it grates massively to be subjected to more interrogation returning to my home country (and the only one of which I’ve ever held citizenship) than I’ve had anywhere else in the world. Even in the stereotypically difficult US I’ve only ever had nice interactions at the border.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.