Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jonam
Following on from the comment about AA pushing back on reinstating original itineraries has anyone else noticed AA seeming to be more aggressively removing legs when rescheduling?
I don't know if it's a change in their algorithm, but all of the schedule changes on my booked trips seem to leading to legs being stripped out on each reschedule.... I've lost several transcon A321T legs that way with a move far less pleasant red-eye direct.
Not really had this problem. I had a schedule change and ended up starting trvel a day earlier for a September west coast trip through SOF and HEL. At first the agent tried to suggest more sane routings that a normal person would fly. Think he was just trying to be helpful. Just told him I wanted to keep to the same itinerary and he did it no problem.
Toto1808 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Following on from the comment about AA pushing back on reinstating original itineraries has anyone else noticed AA seeming to be more aggressively removing legs when rescheduling?
I don't know if it's a change in their algorithm, but all of the schedule changes on my booked trips seem to leading to legs being stripped out on each reschedule.... I've lost several transcon A321T legs that way with a move far less pleasant red-eye direct.
I had no issues reinstating my original, if slightly changed, itinerary the other day. I just lined up all the flights I wanted, and asked if they would revert back to my original routing with the following flights. Named the flights I preferred, he wrote everything down, put me on hold, came back on the phone read through the entire itinerary, once we agreed he processed it. All in all, was on the phone for 22 minutes.
JessicaTam and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:51 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Yes my nice 6 segment got changed to three, ending at one of the originally connecting airports.
Having said that, I called AA in the UK and fed them replacement flights which they happily booked and reticketed for me.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:11 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
No issues here. Recently I noticed a RDU-MIA-DFW-LGA had been rescheduled to RDU-LGA. Quickly checked there was F availability on the original segments then onto an AAngel. 10 minutes later the original itin was reinstated.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, United Premier Silver; Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by snabbu
No issues here. Recently I noticed a RDU-MIA-DFW-LGA had been rescheduled to RDU-LGA. Quickly checked there was F availability on the original segments then onto an AAngel. 10 minutes later the original itin was reinstated.
Much in the same vain as this, I’ve changed a few SFO-DFW-LAX & SFO-PHX-LAX routes amended to SFO-LAX. Managed to change to SFO-JFK-LAX rather than the original route.

Though it did take 4 agents via the AA app chat feature.

Pricey flights for the original route but good value for the gamble on a change of itinerary.
jfkeze likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:01 pm

So I'm seeking a bit of advice...

I purchased the AGP->SFO fare (AGP-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO). I had some changes due to some flight changes, but was still super happy with it, as well as it giving me the TPs I need... But now it seems like AY canned the HEL-AGP leg on the return (the last leg)! I have searched for some alternatives, but it seems like the "best" option would be to return to LHR (or MAD) and then fly to AGP. Would BA even entertain that idea? Or would they want me to cut out the HEL part completely, shafting my tier points significantly.

Thanks in advance,
Kian

Last edited by Shamankian; Jun 25, 2022 at 2:31 pm
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Where was the booking available? I remember I checked a few weeks back and it was some travel agent I believe, google flights is only quoting the £341 ticket
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Shamankian
So I'm seeking a bit of advice...

I purchased the AGP->SFO fare (AGP-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO). I had some changes due to some flight changes, but was still super happy with it, as well as it giving me the TPs I need... But now it seems like AY canned the HEL-AGP leg on the return (the last leg)! I have searched for some alternatives, but it seems like the "best" option would be to return to LHR (or MAD) and then fly to AGP. Would BA even entertain that idea? Or would they want me to cut out the HEL part completely, shafting my tier points significantly.

Thanks in advance,
Kian
AY still flying to Malaga.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Toto1808
AY still flying to Malaga.
I am guessing they have reduced their frequency - my flight was supposed to be on the 30th August, which has been cancelled. I wouldn't mind staying in HEL and taking a flight to AGP the next day (31st August), but it doesn't seem like there is a flight there either... And pushing it even further back, I will miss my positional flight return.
Toto1808 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:23 pm

AY to Dubai in Business from €989

Got this email with good availability Jan - Mar 2023 on AY flights HEL to Dubai in business from €989. Even cheaper if starting in Oslo… https://luxuryflightclub.cmail19.com...tl-wmkdllht-t/

But looking at positioning flights LHR - HEL in business is coming in nearly £600 return. Oslo (business) cheaper but only 40 TPs and needs an overnight stay.

Anyone got thoughts on positioning options? Was thinking a cheeky weekend (but not if it’s astronomical).

Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I’ve booked this for January and selected positioning flights in economy with KLM, because as you say, AY is super expensive.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by LondonGlobalist
Got this email with good availability Jan - Mar 2023 on AY flights HEL to Dubai in business from €989. Even cheaper if starting in Oslo… https://luxuryflightclub.cmail19.com...tl-wmkdllht-t/

But looking at positioning flights LHR - HEL in business is coming in nearly £600 return. Oslo (business) cheaper but only 40 TPs and needs an overnight stay.

Anyone got thoughts on positioning options? Was thinking a cheeky weekend (but not if it’s astronomical).

Thanks
This deal is available from ARN also. Currently ARN CE returns are going at around £200 ish for majority of the winter flying season. LHR-HEL-LHR with AY is always astronomical bar the limited period where BA codeshares were being sold for circa £250 via a small selection of OTAs but they've all gone now too. You're better off buying ARN-HEL-DXB (and back) tagged along with BA LHR - ARN positioning flights. Even with this you'd stand to earn 440 TPs which is pretty good.

Note that the HEL - DXB sector is a "short-haul" product (akin to Club Europe on CAI/AMM etc currently), the only difference being AY is deploying A350s during W22 season but it'll still be a short-haul soft-product.
LondonGlobalist and Toto1808 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:50 pm

[QUOTENote that the HEL - DXB sector is a "short-haul" product (akin to Club Europe on CAI/AMM etc currently), the only difference being AY is deploying A350s during W22 season but it'll still be a short-haul soft-product.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - so is the A350 HEL - DXB.not flat-bed? It’s a 7.5h leg…

?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by LondonGlobalist
Thanks - so is the A350 HEL - DXB.not flat-bed? It’s a 7.5h leg…?
It is flat bed. The hard product is a long-haul product of course but all the soft products (ie. Catering, bedding) will be their short haul business class product, that’s how DXB always has been sold as by AY even Pre-COVID, except Pre-COVID they were able to use Russian airspace, making it a couple of hours shorter, whereas now they have a circuitous route around Belarus, Ukraine.

So by short-haul business product, AY are currently only offering one meal choice (usually vegetarian or fish dish), no bedding, perhaps just pillow/cushion and if bedding requested, it won’t be the full bedding used on long-haul J. Still I don’t think any of this will make it a dreadful experience by any means, but it’s just worth bearing in mind
Toto1808 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:29 pm

Thanks.

Managed to get LHR - HEL - DBX return (A350s both LHR legs /A330s DBX) for £1,030.37 all-in via Finnair so have booked it.

Last edited by LondonGlobalist; Jun 26, 2022 at 4:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.