Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2022, 4:26 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Cancellation emails - but no alternatives offered?

Previous BA cancellation emails have shown the cancelled flight and the new flight they have selected. However, a couple of cancellations emails recently have shown the cancelled flight but not a suggested, or protectively re-booked, alternatives - is this the new norm?

One is to CDG where there are several other flights available on the same day, with one only 1hr 20m later, which would be mildly annoying but perfectly doable. Both have previously been FTVs and re-scheduled to the current itineraries. Neither has any re-booking option in MMB, and both say we need to call to sort it out.
Old May 1, 2022, 4:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Asking in advance, in case the worst happens for an upcoming trip. If a passenger on my booking tests positive before travelling to the US, would BA allow us to delay the outbound flights until they test negative? The booking is for first class, if that helps, and we have bronze status with BA.
Yes, broadly BA does allow a flight to be delayed until recovered from COVID. When you call up they may well want you to email in the test results, and at that point they will take you off the booked service. Then when the patient is well enough to fly the booking can be reinstated to new dates. There are also the other BWC protections which may give more flexibility in some cases.
KARFA and Radiation Station like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, broadly BA does allow a flight to be delayed until recovered from COVID. When you call up they may well want you to email in the test results, and at that point they will take you off the booked service. Then when the patient is well enough to fly the booking can be reinstated to new dates. There are also the other BWC protections which may give more flexibility in some cases.
Thanks, that’s very helpful for planning. By recovered from covid, do you mean able to test negative on predeparture lateral flow? I’m not sure how long that takes with the latest appropriately named strain of omicron.
Old May 1, 2022, 4:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Previous BA cancellation emails have shown the cancelled flight and the new flight they have selected. However, a couple of cancellations emails recently have shown the cancelled flight but not a suggested, or protectively re-booked, alternatives - is this the new norm?

One is to CDG where there are several other flights available on the same day, with one only 1hr 20m later, which would be mildly annoying but perfectly doable. Both have previously been FTVs and re-scheduled to the current itineraries. Neither has any re-booking option in MMB, and both say we need to call to sort it out.
It's the old thing about not being in Self Service any more. After your booking has been through the wringer a few times the various online tools stop working because the ticket revalidation / re-issue won't work online, the ticket is too mangled for anything other than a manual rebuild. So yes, you would need to call up here, whereas if this was a new cash booking the chances are that the online MMB disruption tools would work for you.
vintagepilot likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 4:36 am

Thanks, that’s very helpful for planning. By recovered from covid, do you mean able to test negative on predeparture lateral flow? I’m not sure how long that takes with the latest appropriately named strain of omicron.
In most BA.2 cases lateral flows will turn negative on or before day 12. You'll see the second line diminishing over time so you'll be able to know when you'll be clear (you need to leave the LFD for several hours for the line to be comparable with other days). If boosted then lateral flows can turn in as little as 5 days for those with low or no symptoms. If you can clear the lateral flow then your new service can obviously proceed on the basis of the negative test result and attestation. The alternative is to work on the basis of a NHS recovery certificate or a fit to fly letter from a clinician. Standards vary in this area, some clinician still work on the basis of 14 days, others will look at symptoms, others will use 10 days.
KARFA and Radiation Station like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Furby
If a flight is cancelled, (per the Wiki) are we still allowed to rebook Avios tickets to any day in the 12 months after the the flights were booked regardless of Avios availability. We got caught up in the most recent round of cancellations with no decent options available even for purchased fares but there are seats for sale a few days earlier and it would work for us to bring the trip forward by a few days if we need to.
Answering my own question in case it helps others. I was told I could rebook regardless of Avios availability but ONLY 2 or 3 days on either side of the original date. That worked for us, but perhaps the Wiki is now out of date?
Old May 1, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: BA GGL
Had a booking that was CDG-LHR-MIA but the CDG-LHR was cancelled. Invoked the 300 mile rule, deleted CDG-LHR, and flew LHR-MIA instead.
My question is whether I should still get the CDG-LHR Tier Points?
It's an IRROPS issue, so I can't see why not, but that said it's also a deleted segment so 'doesn't exist' per se, so wondering if actually I wouldn't be due the TPs?
Any previous experience on this appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 1, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Had a booking that was CDG-LHR-MIA but the CDG-LHR was cancelled. Invoked the 300 mile rule, deleted CDG-LHR, and flew LHR-MIA instead.
My question is whether I should still get the CDG-LHR Tier Points?
It's an IRROPS issue, so I can't see why not, but that said it's also a deleted segment so 'doesn't exist' per se, so wondering if actually I wouldn't be due the TPs?
Any previous experience on this appreciated. Thanks!
If you didn’t fly it, you aren’t getting credit for it. Not to mention the fact you chose to have it taken off your itinerary.
Old May 1, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: BA GGL
If you didn’t fly it, you aren’t getting credit for it. Not to mention the fact you chose to have it taken off your itinerary.
Well, I didn't cancel it, BA did.
The two other flights that I didn't fly on in this itinerary (due to cancellation and rerouting) have been credited after manual requesting, hence the question.
Old May 1, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's the old thing about not being in Self Service any more. After your booking has been through the wringer a few times the various online tools stop working because the ticket revalidation / re-issue won't work online, the ticket is too mangled for anything other than a manual rebuild. So yes, you would need to call up here, whereas if this was a new cash booking the chances are that the online MMB disruption tools would work for you.
I reckon this is my problem as well. My LHR-SEA and SEA-LHR were originally on AA, and got cancelled by AA. Still waiting on an answer on Twitter, but it's only been one full working day so far, so I hope to have an answer on Monday. But the AA stuff is probably what's making it impossible to fix using MMB. Am I right that if my SEA-LHR is still showing a ticket number, that I'm fine for that leg?

Second time we've lost the 787-10 on our way back from SEA. Had the same last year.
Old May 1, 2022, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by greg5
I reckon this is my problem as well. My LHR-SEA and SEA-LHR were originally on AA, and got cancelled by AA. Still waiting on an answer on Twitter, but it's only been one full working day so far, so I hope to have an answer on Monday. But the AA stuff is probably what's making it impossible to fix using MMB. Am I right that if my SEA-LHR is still showing a ticket number, that I'm fine for that leg?
Yes, it should allow a check in at SEA, though the robots may at some point notice the connection and do - or try to do - something about it. But you are right to be relaxed about it. I would hope Twitter would reply to you soon, they don't seem too overloarded tonight, but you can send a public message to chase.
greg5 likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Well, I didn't cancel it, BA did.
The two other flights that I didn't fly on in this itinerary (due to cancellation and rerouting) have been credited after manual requesting, hence the question.
I think that since you opted to reroute from LHR that that voluntary change does not entitle you to ORC for CDG-LHR. If you had still originated in CDG and been rerouted without a stop in LHR (e.g, original routing CDG-LHR-XXX opted to reroute to CDG-XXX) then you would be entitled to ORC for the LHR connection).
Also, have you sought a refund for the CDG-LHR segment? If so, this would also work against a claim for ORC.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; May 1, 2022 at 1:38 pm
Old May 1, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Lots of cancellations coming through for June/July now. I don’t know how BA will use its slots
Our ARN-LHR flight for late June was cancelled. We'd originally booked a 3:45pm which was cancelled and we were moved to a 6pm. Now we're on a 9pm, which doesn't get in to LHR until after 10:30pm. It's an AA ticket and the fare rules allow travel on SAS, which has a 3:25pm flight. We like the timing of it, but it'd be a downgrade from business class to premium economy since that's all SAS seems to have. We'd be losing the 2,460 AA miles we'd earn on BA, but my concern is that I don't think SAS blocks the middle seat, and we wouldn't want someone else sitting with us. What do people think of SAS intra-Europe?
Old May 2, 2022, 3:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ryan_
Thank you both! Following the link corporate-wage-slave posted, BA sent me a new voucher within 5 minutes.
Though I am curious what would have happened if I followed through with: Manage My Booking > Cancel booking > and gone through the consent page.
If BA actually does keep all but the taxes, that seems like a dark pattern.
If you click on the link for "Cancellation options for this booking" in MMB for a non-refundable booking, you should get a Consent page first and then it should take you to the "Apply for a Voucher page".

If you want to do a voluntary cancellation of a non-refundable booking then yes you would normally only get the taxes and some fees back.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
I'm hoping that someone else has some advice on rebooking an upcoming itinerary in June with a cancelled flight.

The itinerary is ATL-LHR-ATH with return. BA has cancelled the LHR-ATH segment, and the only BA connections leave me with 8+ hour layover at LHR.

The problem is that I have 5 passengers and 2 PNRs ... all passengers are booked for ATL-LHR-ATH on June 18, but 1 passenger in a separate PNR is returning a couple of weeks later. Cash booking ... business class "I" fare bucket.

The online rebooking tool offers me ATL-ORD-ATH on June 19, but because I've got passengers on 2 PNRs, I needed to call to make sure there was availability for all 5 passengers. There is not. The BA agent is telling me that there is only availability to rebook 4 passengers in business on this flight. ExpertFlyer reports availability as J7 C5 D5 for both AA and BA flight numbers. When I try a test booking for 5 passengers, the BA web site shows availability for this flight. If I try a test booking for 7 passengers, the BA website still shows the flight as being available, quoting a higher fare from the J fare bucket, as expected. I explained this to the BA agent, who told me that he sees the same availability, but there is a separate availability class for business class rebooking, and that only allows 4.

I've never heard off this type of limit before. The BA agent seemed to imply that this was because the flight was a codeshare on AA, and that they limited the number of seats for rebooking, compared to purchase.

I had called the GGL line. I suspect that I was speaking to someone on the team in India...possibly because today is a bank holiday in the UK? I have no complaint about the agent. He seemed to be trying very hard to come up with alternatives for me, and developed a clear understanding of why I did not find the alternatives acceptable, but I'm wondering if this separate availability class for business class rebooking is a true limit.

I plan to try the GGL line again tomorrow morning, and would appreciate any advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.