Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:14 am

Programs: Emirates, Air France, KLM
Possibly a little late to the table but here's my experience from a while ago. My husband had a BA R/T flight booked in late 2021 from LHR/MAD/LHR which was cancelled by BA 'due to covid impacts' meanwhile, on the same dates, I had flights booked with Lufthansa LHR/MUC/LHR with the children on a family visit which was also cancelled, by LH, 'due to covid impacts'.

It took me numerous telephone calls and emails to BA; during the initial communication responses they denied any refund/compensation, then it increased to vouchers for a BA flight in the future, then after 10 weeks and much persistence on my part they eventually and grudgingly provided a full refund. By contrast LH started in the same manner, but after a quick mention of EU Regulation 261/2004 they provided a full refund within two weeks!

All subsequent flights are paid for direct with the airlines by credit card rather than debit card (I've learnt) thus allowing the CC company to do the donkey work if necessary under the chargeback scheme and section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, although this is still fraught with uncertainty as it is unclear whether airlines cancelling flights constitutes a breach of contract given their terms and conditions are carefully worded and allow them a great deal of leeway in terms of changing schedules and cancelling flights. Many card providers baulk at this process but others will proceed if you are determined enough - all grey area it seems.

Sadly, my travel insurance has a get out clause for the covid scenario, even though I bought it before the current crisis began.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Whilst there are many stories about compensation issues, I must admit I am surprised BA were refusing a refund for a booking when a flight had been cancelled. Usually the refund request isn't a problem - although it may take a few weeks to process.

As a general piece of advice, I would keep the refund request and compensation claim completely separate when dealing with BA, and not try and mix the two up. The former should be requested either by calling or it should even let you request a refund on the disruption page now after a flight cancellation. There is no sense at all raising the issue of compensation when talking to the BA agent during your call on the refund - they can't deal with that part at all. The compensation should be requested by making a claim online by following the link to the Help & Contact section on ba.com.

If there was an issue with a cancelled flight and an airline not refunding in accordance with EC261, you should have a pretty straight forward claim under chargeback or under s75.

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 26, 2022 at 3:33 am
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:39 am

I must admit that, whilst I was initially surprised and somewhat taken aback at the agents' responses, after much of my time wasted on the telephone my resolve (and an awareness of my rights in these circumstances) soon became steadfast - I was, after all, only requesting a refund not seeking any compensation! I run a business and if I treated my customers like that I would not last long in the market place; ten weeks to receive the eventual refund is an unacceptable delay. It has left a bad-taste in my mouth and I'm pretty reluctant to fly BA again - which is a shame, as my nephew is a BA A320 co-pilot.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by RikkiMac
I must admit that, whilst I was initially surprised and somewhat taken aback at the agents' responses, after much of my time wasted on the telephone my resolve (and an awareness of my rights in these circumstances) soon became steadfast - I was, after all, only requesting a refund not seeking any compensation! I run a business and if I treated my customers like that I would not last long in the market place; ten weeks to receive the eventual refund is an unacceptable delay. It has left a bad-taste in my mouth and I'm pretty reluctant to fly BA again - which is a shame, as my nephew is a BA A320 co-pilot.
What reason did the agent(s) give to refuse a refund?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:02 am

The first two I spoke to seemed unfamiliar with the full details of BA's policies at that time and blandly stated that a fee-free rebooking was the only option on the table and not a refund (both whom, from extraneous sounds off mike, gave the impression they were working from home - not that is any sort of excuse not knowing BA's stance). This line of response continued for several weeks with a voucher option added. As stated, it took me a full 10 weeks of communications to get a refund for my husband's ticket.
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Confused what the rules are in my situation, perhaps someone could clarfiy.

I have a flight BER-LHR-YYZ leaving berlin this Friday on BA. It was booked on AA, but with all BA flights. The BER-LHR flight this Friday was cancelled today and I was automatically rebooked on a flight 2 hours, 20 minutes earlier. It was an AA basic fare.

I called AA and was told that as the change was less than 4 hours, no refund is due and I can only change the flight to a different time the same day. However, I prefer a refund, or at least a voucher for a future flight. AA have said, no voucher or refund is due, as there internal policy is 4 hours for a refund.

Am I right in thinking that EU261 comes into play here, A TPG article states that flights departing more than 1 hour earlier are now considered in this law. I wasn't looking for compensation, just a refund, but if I have to go to trouble of making an official claim, is this applicable? And, if so, should I make the claim for long haul or short haul, given that there are 2 legs involved. It's for 4 passengers, so not an insignificant refund or claim.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by englisha
Confused what the rules are in my situation, perhaps someone could clarfiy.

I have a flight BER-LHR-YYZ leaving berlin this Friday on BA. It was booked on AA, but with all BA flights. The BER-LHR flight this Friday was cancelled today and I was automatically rebooked on a flight 2 hours, 20 minutes earlier. It was an AA basic fare.

I called AA and was told that as the change was less than 4 hours, no refund is due and I can only change the flight to a different time the same day. However, I prefer a refund, or at least a voucher for a future flight. AA have said, no voucher or refund is due, as there internal policy is 4 hours for a refund.

Am I right in thinking that EU261 comes into play here, A TPG article states that flights departing more than 1 hour earlier are now considered in this law. I wasn't looking for compensation, just a refund, but if I have to go to trouble of making an official claim, is this applicable? And, if so, should I make the claim for long haul or short haul, given that there are 2 legs involved. It's for 4 passengers, so not an insignificant refund or claim.
any time a flight is cancelled and not merely retimed - i.e. your new flight has a different flight number - you are entitled to request a full refund of the whole booking. it doesn't matter what the timing of the new flight you are offered is with regards to this entitlement, the new flight might only be 5 minutes earlier, but if your original flight is cancelled you are entitled to a full refund.

in terms of 4 hours, that sounds like the BA policy when it comes to retimed flights (so same flight number moved to a different time). when it comes to retimed flights you are allowed a refund if the new time is over 4 hours different to the original time.
englisha likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
any time a flight is cancelled and not merely retimed - i.e. your new flight has a different flight number - you are entitled to request a full refund of the whole booking. it doesn't matter what the timing of the new flight you are offered is with regards to this entitlement, the new flight might only be 5 minutes earlier, but if your original flight is cancelled you are entitled to a full refund.

in terms of 4 hours, that sounds like the BA policy when it comes to retimed flights (so same flight number moved to a different time). when it comes to retimed flights you are allowed a refund if the new time is over 4 hours different to the original time.
I tried calling AA again as it's a 001 ticket, but they still insisted that as the new schedule is within 4 hours of the original, there is nothing they can do, even though the flight was cancelled, not just retimed. Does this look like the best course of action for me now
1. Write on twitter and try and get a final answer that they wont refund
2. Refund ticket through AMEX
3. If I decide to go for EU261 compensation, it's a claim against BA, as the operating carrier, not AA.

Finally, should I proactively cancel the ticket online, or leave it as a no show?

Thank you for your help and knowledge, as always
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by englisha
I tried calling AA again as it's a 001 ticket, but they still insisted that as the new schedule is within 4 hours of the original, there is nothing they can do, even though the flight was cancelled, not just retimed. Does this look like the best course of action for me now
1. Write on twitter and try and get a final answer that they wont refund
2. Refund ticket through AMEX
3. If I decide to go for EU261 compensation, it's a claim against BA, as the operating carrier, not AA.

Finally, should I proactively cancel the ticket online, or leave it as a no show?

Thank you for your help and knowledge, as always
Yes I think twitter is a good option - I have found they are decent on there and can sort stuff. DM them with your details, make it clear a flight has been cancelled, and that you want a full refund.

If that doesn't work, then yes a chargeback is probably the best option.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze
So my Avios Booking (rebooked numerous times since 2020, partly dates and covid restrictions, and partly flights on the day being canned and moved to another), has been cancelled again! (LHR- Rome, BA560 12:15-15:50 pn 19th May), there is no news on the return flight yet, unfortunately it will not allow me to manage my booking online, but gives me a specific number to call, 20 mins later the almost unintelligible lady told me its the wrong number and tries to put me through... 20 more mins later I get a recorded message telling me they will only deal with flights in the next 10 days.
Any idea on my options for this bearing in mind its an Avios flight (that I've had to pay more each time I've rebooked it!) ? Think there is a flight three hours later, but surprised they haven't already offered me that (sure they automatically swapped the flights in the past)? WHich makes it more difficult with arrangements for us. Other days anytime soon and am sure there will be limited availability?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Giblets
So my Avios Booking (rebooked numerous times since 2020, partly dates and covid restrictions, and partly flights on the day being canned and moved to another), has been cancelled again! (LHR- Rome, BA560 12:15-15:50 pn 19th May), there is no news on the return flight yet, unfortunately it will not allow me to manage my booking, but gives me a specific number to call, 20 mins later the almost unintelligible lady told me its the wrong number and tries to put me through... 20 more mins later I get a recorded message telling me they will only deal with flights in the next 10 days).
Any idea on my options for this bearing in mind its an Avios flight (that I've had to pay more each time I've rebooked it!) ? Think there is a flight three hours later, but surprised they haven't already offered me that (sure they automatically swapped the flights in the past)? WHich makes it more difficult with arrangements for us. Other days anytime soon and am sure there will be limited availability?
How many seats do you need and in which cabin? The one at 1540 is nearly full, and BA are only showing availability of 1 in J and 1 in Y.

BA 552, 0700-1030
J4 C0 D0 R0 I0 Y9 B9 H6 K6 M0 L0 V0 N0 O0 Q0 S0 G0

BA 548, 0820-1200
J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 O0 Q0 S0 G0

BA 554, 1540-1920
J1 C0 D0 R0 I0 Y1 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 O0 Q0 S0 G0

BA 558, 1905-2240
J6 C1 D0 R0 I0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L7 V0 N0 O0 Q0 S0 G0
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
How many seats do you need and in which cabin? The one at 1540 is nearly full, and BA are only showing availability of 1 in J and 1 in Y.

BA 552, 0700-1030
J4 C0 D0 R0 I0 Y9 B9 H6 K6 M0 L0 V0 N0 O0 Q0 S0 G0

BA 548, 0820-1200
J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 O0 Q0 S0 G0

BA 554, 1540-1920
J1 C0 D0 R0 I0 Y1 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 O0 Q0 S0 G0

BA 558, 1905-2240
J6 C1 D0 R0 I0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L7 V0 N0 O0 Q0 S0 G0

Thanks, it was just the 2 in Y. Assumed they moved everyone else onto that one and the avios places were left off? Sadly the early flights don't work with child care, don't really want to get in that late (BA558).

Interesting when I typed in a standard flight search it was offering 552, 554, and 558, but not 548.

Last edited by Giblets; Apr 26, 2022 at 7:48 am
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:28 am

What a mess BA are in with all of this. I have had a flight LHR to Rome return cancelled (but just the return journey). It is clear they are trying to cut costs and I have rebooked myself on the 90 mins earlier flight. The thing is they do this and its up to YOU to resolve and sort out. They are nowhere to be seen and the call centre is a complete joke. I dont have 2 hours to wait to get through. Know about being cut off after 60 mins too!

I have a horrible feeling the outgoing flight is going to be cancelled too. Its not available to book on 20th May which makes me think that flight is next and they just havent told me yet....

It is a awful way to run a business and this will come back to haunt them I believe.

The thing that made me book BA in the first place was because if the flight was cancelled there might be others I can book on which has ended up being the case BUT. Its not a guessing game and a gamble when you book a flight. People book flights at certain times for a reason. I loved the way the email says they wont be covering any addtional expenses and then saying sort it out yourself on Manage My Booking.
Giblets likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Moonstone1234
What a mess BA are in with all of this. I have had a flight LHR to Rome return cancelled (but just the return journey). It is clear they are trying to cut costs and I have rebooked myself on the 90 mins earlier flight. The thing is they do this and its up to YOU to resolve and sort out. They are nowhere to be seen and the call centre is a complete joke. I dont have 2 hours to wait to get through. Know about being cut off after 60 mins too!

I have a horrible feeling the outgoing flight is going to be cancelled too. Its not available to book on 20th May which makes me think that flight is next and they just havent told me yet....

It is a awful way to run a business and this will come back to haunt them I believe.

The thing that made me book BA in the first place was because if the flight was cancelled there might be others I can book on which has ended up being the case BUT. Its not a guessing game and a gamble when you book a flight. People book flights at certain times for a reason. I loved the way the email says they wont be covering any addtional expenses and then saying sort it out yourself on Manage My Booking.
Yep, i have had that on a previous booking, one day the flight out was canned, then two days later the return was also canned.
You do wonder when the other flights are now rammed (admitedly many from the cancelled flight), why they are cancelling stuff, with Italy set to relieve restrictions publicly in the next couple of days I would guess there would be extra bookings to be made!?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:49 am

BA need to hang their heads in shame over this. They pretend its covid related or staff shortages but surely they must not know staff shortages nearly a month in advance. I suspect its cost cutting again. Mr Doyle - you do realise that we are all onto you dont you? You have the slots hence your arrogance in the way you treat your passengers. I went to Cape Town last month. Ongoing was fine. However coming back was a mess and how they can still use their old club world offering on a flight that was rammed is unforgiveable.

I will actively avoid BA. I have just tried to call them on the Bronze Line. There was clearly no chance of me getting through as they said they were 'really busy' and to try later. Words just fail me with this sort of attitude.

Bye Bye BA. You have spoilt it for yourself after being given lots of chances. The travel agent I use for long haul trips has told me to avoid using them until they get themselves together.
Tim_T and Giblets like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.