Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 11:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The agent may well be correct, given how point of sale and codeshares work. If it is at all viable for the group of 4 to go, then you could split the reservation, get them through, reissued. And then magically there may be the final seat made available after it has gone through. It's not guaranteed, hence it's only worth doing in one passenger can go another way. If it's some way then you best not to rush into a bad solution, you only have one shot at this per change.
Old May 2, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Thanks for the reply c-w-s, we might end up splitting the PNR and several passengers cancelling (if not all),

I wish there was some way for me to see this availability, so I could review the options with the other passengers before I call.

One of the issues is that ATL is not the most convenient origin point for most of the group. It's either a 4-1/2 hour drive, or a separately booked flight to ATL with a rechecking of bags.

BA is suggesting our best alternatives are to fly ATL-MIA-LHR-ATH or ATL-PHL-LHR-ATH ... in which case the extra drive to ATL is a real pain considering that there are flights from much closer airports (SAV or CHS) to MIA and PHL. I've used the 300 mile rule to change origin in situations like this in the past, but I understand that because it is the second flight that is the cancelled flight, I can only change the destination.
Old May 2, 2022, 12:20 pm

Follow-up ... assuming there is a separate business class rebooking availability class on the code share, is it even relevant? Wouldn't the original routing (ATL-LHR-ATH) be considered an Atlantic Joint Business routing, and cancellation of the LHR-ATH segment allow for rebooking as ATL-ORD-ATH or ATL-PHL-ATH with the AA flight numbers instead of the BA codeshare flight numbrers?
Old May 2, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
I think this is probably a simple one I'm overthinking, but would appreciate reassurance. We have a simple LHR-WAW return flight for a weekend in July, with the return now cancelled. The remaining BA flights are too early and the Finnair ones involve 4 hours in Helsinki, so we are planning to book a new return flight on LOT.

Can we get a refund for the return, leaving the outbound intact? If so, how is it calculated?

Thanks
Old May 2, 2022, 1:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by omk298
I think this is probably a simple one I'm overthinking, but would appreciate reassurance. We have a simple LHR-WAW return flight for a weekend in July, with the return now cancelled. The remaining BA flights are too early and the Finnair ones involve 4 hours in Helsinki, so we are planning to book a new return flight on LOT.

Can we get a refund for the return, leaving the outbound intact? If so, how is it calculated?

Thanks
Yes that should be fine to do, but you will have to call to get the booking re-issued as a one way.

The refund would be sent off to for manual calculation. It's not really very easy to work out the value unfortunately, but assuming the booking value was split roughly equally between outbound and inbound you should expect to get around 40% back.
omk298 likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 1:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by skippythelizard
Follow-up ... assuming there is a separate business class rebooking availability class on the code share, is it even relevant? Wouldn't the original routing (ATL-LHR-ATH) be considered an Atlantic Joint Business routing, and cancellation of the LHR-ATH segment allow for rebooking as ATL-ORD-ATH or ATL-PHL-ATH with the AA flight numbers instead of the BA codeshare flight numbrers?
Yes, I think that's down the hierarchy a bit, but yes after codeshares they can then go to prime AA flight codes. It may still require the booking to be split at least temporarily. Give GGL a ring tomorrow.
skippythelizard likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes that should be fine to do, but you will have to call to get the booking re-issued as a one way.

The refund would be sent off to for manual calculation. It's not really very easy to work out the value unfortunately, but assuming the booking value was split roughly equally between outbound and inbound you should expect to get around 40% back.
Thanks. Is that 40% because of the APD/Heathrow charges on the outbound, or some other reason?
Old May 2, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver
Question on a situation where there is one leg cancelled on a flight.

I am booked LHR to Stornoway (SYY) via GLA on the way out and EDI on the return in about three weeks. The EDI - LHR leg has been cancelled which shouldn't be too much of an issue because there's another flight an hour later, but for some reason the MMB won't give me any other options, it just says there are 'no options on that day' (or indeed, any other day). There is plenty of availability showing on those other EDI flights.

I don't want to cancel and rebook because the price has gone up dramatically. And of course complete failure to speak to anyone at BA to sort this out. Any ideas? In this situation what would happen if I just turn up at the airport for the first leg? If I really have to I'll book a cheap flight back from EDI separately, I just want a solution!
Old May 2, 2022, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by omk298
Thanks. Is that 40% because of the APD/Heathrow charges on the outbound, or some other reason?
Yes, typically the fees & taxes relating to UK departures are more than those for departures from other countries.
omk298 likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by magyaar
Question on a situation where there is one leg cancelled on a flight.

I am booked LHR to Stornoway (SYY) via GLA on the way out and EDI on the return in about three weeks. The EDI - LHR leg has been cancelled which shouldn't be too much of an issue because there's another flight an hour later, but for some reason the MMB won't give me any other options, it just says there are 'no options on that day' (or indeed, any other day). There is plenty of availability showing on those other EDI flights.

I don't want to cancel and rebook because the price has gone up dramatically. And of course complete failure to speak to anyone at BA to sort this out. Any ideas? In this situation what would happen if I just turn up at the airport for the first leg? If I really have to I'll book a cheap flight back from EDI separately, I just want a solution!
I would not advice just turning up, partly because you may find on the day there is no space.

As long as BA are selling seats on those later flights you should be able to rebook on them. The disruption tool sometimes won't show them if the same selling class isn't available though so you would have to call to do the change I am afraid.
Old May 2, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver
I would not advice just turning up, partly because you may find on the day there is no space.

As long as BA are selling seats on those later flights you should be able to rebook on them. The disruption tool sometimes won't show them if the same selling class isn't available though so you would have to call to do the change I am afraid.
Thanks, I'm just completely failing to get through to them - must have tried 20+ times. Any sneaky tricks to get through? Have tried DM'ing on Twitter as well, no joy.
Old May 2, 2022, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The agent may well be correct, given how point of sale and codeshares work. If it is at all viable for the group of 4 to go, then you could split the reservation, get them through, reissued. And then magically there may be the final seat made available after it has gone through. It's not guaranteed, hence it's only worth doing in one passenger can go another way. If it's some way then you best not to rush into a bad solution, you only have one shot at this per change.
I may have stumbled across something interesting...regarding this mysterious "separate availability class for business class rebooking".

I decided to check ExpertFlyer availability on the UK POS. This availability seems to match up with the options that the disruption change booking tool shows. Under both the AA and BA codes, availability for these flights is lower using the UK POS than the US POS.

My booking starts (and ends) in the US. It was booked via ba.com and paid for in USD. So, I would expect rebooking class availability should also be subject to availability in the US POS.

When I try to make any test bookings on ba.com, the availability that it is showing me definitely follows what I see in ExpertFlyer for the US POS, and availability for the disruption change booking tool follows the UK POS.

For some reason, flights like PHL-ATH and ORD-ATH have much higher availability in the US POS than UK POS.

I expect that if I get through to the UK GGL team tomorrow, they will use the correct POS without me having to explain all of this, and it will be a quick process (subject to the usual waiting on the system).
Old May 2, 2022, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by skippythelizard
I may have stumbled across something interesting...regarding this mysterious "separate availability class for business class rebooking".

I decided to check ExpertFlyer availability on the UK POS. This availability seems to match up with the options that the disruption change booking tool shows. Under both the AA and BA codes, availability for these flights is lower using the UK POS than the US POS.

My booking starts (and ends) in the US. It was booked via ba.com and paid for in USD. So, I would expect rebooking class availability should also be subject to availability in the US POS.

When I try to make any test bookings on ba.com, the availability that it is showing me definitely follows what I see in ExpertFlyer for the US POS, and availability for the disruption change booking tool follows the UK POS.

For some reason, flights like PHL-ATH and ORD-ATH have much higher availability in the US POS than UK POS.

I expect that if I get through to the UK GGL team tomorrow, they will use the correct POS without me having to explain all of this, and it will be a quick process (subject to the usual waiting on the system).
There isnt a separate availability for rebooking business class passengers.

But yes there can definetely be different availability between codeshare/prime and different POS.
skippythelizard likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Anonba
There isnt a separate availability for rebooking business class passengers.

But yes there can definetely be different availability between codeshare/prime and different POS.
Thanks Anonba.

Since I purchased the booking via US POS, the same POS inventory should apply to any disruption rebooking.

That the online disruption rebooking tool derives its data from the UK POS for my bookings instead of USA POS would be in error.
Old May 2, 2022, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It may still require the booking to be split at least temporarily.
Once split, can a PNR be put back together? I didn't think that was possible, but maybe it can be done in Amadeus (pretty sure Sabre can't do it).

Yes, typically the fees & taxes relating to UK departures are more than those for departures from other countries.
In addition, I often see YQ/YR (fuel surcharges or "carrier-imposed fees") that are much higher on the outbound than the inbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.