Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA will be looking to offer services in the days before or after the cancellation. Using other oneworld airlines is another option so Qatar is one option for example. So if that works, ring up with that suggestion lined up, so QR1342 to DOH then QR737 to SFO.
I got through on You First number and BA can not rebook me onto Qatar if it “touches” North America. So we will have to do Lufthansa one day later
Old May 4, 2022, 2:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sierranevada
I got through on You First number and BA can not rebook me onto Qatar if it “touches” North America. So we will have to do Lufthansa one day later
FOR THOSE WITH RECENT BA CANCELLATIONS: QR (Qatar) and Lufhansa rebooking options

Qatar: Oh yes. I can see a recent amendment to policy; "Passengers can be rerouted via Doha so long as the Qatar operated sector(s) do not touch anywhere in North America, Latin America, the Caribbean, Mexico, China, Japan, Korea, North & West Africa, Levant (Israel), Non-EU Eastern European countries, or countries North of Afghanistan/China."

On the other hand I wasn't aware Lufthansa has been extended, which it has, from yesterday and until 29 October no less, so that's a useful alternative, covering Austrian, Swiss and CityLine.

So both Qatar and Lufthansa Group options may help some travellers, Qatar has some geographical limits but works for places like UK to South Africa, India, South Asia.
SK AAR, gcuk and squawk like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; May 5, 2022 at 1:24 am
Old May 4, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Yes, it should allow a check in at SEA, though the robots may at some point notice the connection and do - or try to do - something about it. But you are right to be relaxed about it. I would hope Twitter would reply to you soon, they don't seem too overloarded tonight, but you can send a public message to chase.
I got a chance to tweet publicly to BA. They have me on the flight I want, but in ET not in CE. There are still a few CE seats for sale on the flight (BA718). I've followed up asking that we get put into CE. I also posted a public tweet to BA mentioning that I need the reservation to be fixed. If they can't do this then I'll push for a change to LX, though the Lufthansa lounge is dire for five hours, I've got a couple of passes to the United Lounge. TBH though, the T5B lounge is a bit nicer IMO. Or I might look into flying out of SEA the next day.

I am a bit surprised though, that the agent booked us into ET, especially as the original flights are booking code J. You'd think they could see that from the reservation.

Any other strategies I should be thinking about? LX via SFO, LAX, or ORD perhaps?
Old May 4, 2022, 3:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You are only allowed one change, hopefully they will fix the CE component since that looks like a mistake unless it's Point of Sale related. As noted, BA does have a rebooking arrangement with LX, LH and OS, so these would be alternatives if you didn't accept something beforehand.
Old May 4, 2022, 3:51 pm

You are only allowed one change, hopefully they will fix the CE component since that looks like a mistake unless it's Point of Sale related. As noted, BA does have a rebooking arrangement with LX, LH and OS, so these would be alternatives if you didn't accept something beforehand.
Thanks again for the quick answer CWS!
Fortunately, I noticed the ET part immediately, so my answer was to ask to be put properly into CE, and I hadn't accepted the change. PoS is ZRH. Hopefully, they'll fix that and I'm done. I might send another DM suggesting the LX flight at the same time as the BA flight. It's strange that there are no flights to ZRH from LHR on 13 May at 15.00 on either LX or BA. If this doesn't work out then I'd be tempted to just leave it until the checkin desk at SEA.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 12:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
The Right to Care is broad brush, the factor that may apply is why the delayed departure, avoiding the overnight, doesn't work. So let's say you are going for a business meeting and that the delayed option would miss the start of the meeting. You would not have booked the travel originally if that was the outcome. If you therefore have to travel earlier for the purposes of the trip AND that requires an overnight stay, then Right to Care applies.

The expectation is that it's two to a room, but if that's not viable then it can be per person. Two work colleagues would not be expected to share, for example. Even if the £200 is the guideline, you would be best to keep it sensible, not least because BA may initially decline to pay it and you then have to escalate it to see the reimbursement.
BA is actually happy to rebook us onto the morning LH flight which avoids an overnight stay altogether. However, they are saying LH baggage policy applies, not BA. With BA we have 2x32kg and sports equipment (bikes) are included within that whereas LH is 130 EUR per person for the bikes. Is this a clear cut case where we can ask for reimbursement from BA?
Old May 5, 2022, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by s1362083
BA is actually happy to rebook us onto the morning LH flight which avoids an overnight stay altogether. However, they are saying LH baggage policy applies, not BA. With BA we have 2x32kg and sports equipment (bikes) are included within that whereas LH is 130 EUR per person for the bikes. Is this a clear cut case where we can ask for reimbursement from BA?
Personally I think so, since for other reasons BA are on a contract here. Sports equipment is handled very differently by the airlines. So (a) I'd accept this on the basis that you may end up 130€ pp out of pocket but (b) claim for it anyway afterwards. If you wanted to escalate it, if BA says no, then I can see the legal basis for doing so.
Old May 5, 2022, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sierranevada
How did you get BA on the phone? I still get the "call volume too high" or it disconnects. The flight on Qatar via Doha is actually what I am looking at.
Gold line at 8am. They are happy (-ish) to rebook via Doha to preserve our arrival time. Mrs bluemoon is less happy to add a 4 hour flight to our itinerary.

Originally Posted by Maraluvr
Sorry, I don't have answer for you. Did they give a reason for the cancellation - or just an email that it was cancelled? I have flights booked this November from Houston, Texas-Heathrow-Nairobi and return. I feel your pain as this happened to me in June 2020 and June 2021 and finally switched to KLM. I have my safari paid for and if I have to worry about another BA cancelled I will be heartbroken.

Why all the BA cancellations? Diminished crew? I wonder is the passenger load is a factor also. But how do they know that for your flights in August and September of this year.
No reason, but as there are flights still running the day before our outward and return, I guess it is a consolidation, fuller flights are more profitable.

Originally Posted by Maraluvr
I hate to think of all the leg work you will have to do. I checked Qatar and their flights are no good for me. 23 hours to get from Houston to Nairobi!!! I flew Qatar once back in 2016 and I did have to spend the night in Doha airport hotel. Don't want to do that again.
Yes. I have a couple (!) of calls out to see if we can move flights/ hotels/ safari etc all back one day. Otherwise its looking like a need to add Doha into the mix on the return and a 24 hours at Nairobi on the outward. Mrs bluemoon isn't happy.

I'm not happy. This is the third trip out of 3 for 2022 that BA have messed up. Couple that with expiring 241 vouchers that we can't use due to lack of availability of reward flights and high taxes and charges on rewards, BA isn't looking an attractive airline.
Old May 5, 2022, 2:58 am

Programs: BA
Quick question, our flight to SFO booked through BA Holidays has been cancelled, MMB says we can pick an alternate flight but no option to do this, cant get through tot speak to anyone, when does BA contact you to discuss alternate flight
Old May 5, 2022, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by archieu
Quick question, our flight to SFO booked through BA Holidays has been cancelled, MMB says we can pick an alternate flight but no option to do this, cant get through tot speak to anyone, when does BA contact you to discuss alternate flight
For BAH that's different, MMB won't always work due to the other components sitting in the ticket which are not flight related. So the usual next stage is to wait a few days for an email from BAH, 4 days is common, which will have a proposed alternative and email address for confirmation. It really isn't sensible to call BA just after mass cancellations, unless you are flying in the next 2 or 3 days. Moreover leaving your rebooking gives you more flexibility, including cancellation / refunds, so unless you are travelling very soon I would leave it for a bit.
archieu likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 7:28 am

An overview of my cancellation and compensation experience with BA

I had originally booked a flight for March 31st out of LHR to CDG at 13.20. Got an email on the 25th saying my flight was cancelled and I could rebook. Rebooked it to the 11.00 flight. The day before my flight I checked in and got my boarding pass. The evening before I decided to check my booking before going to sleep. No particular reason why I did that, I just was double checking I guess. See that the flight has been cancelled. Never received an email or notification or anything. Quickly manage to rebook on the 09.00 flight on what looked like the last seat available.

Thankfully the flight itself was rather uneventful but I did have to start my trip way earlier because of all the changes in the itinerary. I decided to file for compensation because my original flight was scheduled to leave at 13.20 and I eventually had to get the flight at 09.00. Got an email today saying I am entitled to 125 euro of compensation. Thought it was going to be 250 but they cited some rule that if the flight is less than 1500km or something they can half the compensation.

Anyways, thankfully got sorted out okay.

Last edited by Faratti; May 5, 2022 at 7:40 am
Old May 5, 2022, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by greg5
Thanks again for the quick answer CWS!
Fortunately, I noticed the ET part immediately, so my answer was to ask to be put properly into CE, and I hadn't accepted the change. PoS is ZRH. Hopefully, they'll fix that and I'm done. I might send another DM suggesting the LX flight at the same time as the BA flight. It's strange that there are no flights to ZRH from LHR on 13 May at 15.00 on either LX or BA. If this doesn't work out then I'd be tempted to just leave it until the checkin desk at SEA.
No response from BA since the first one proposing the ET seats instead of CE. Ticket remains as it is before, showing the disruption screen on ba.com with the old flight and the new flight. The ticket hasn't been re-issued. It looks like the '24-hours to accept or decline' is a guideline with it all still being there. I pinged BA publicly yesterday, but not response. Fortunately, there are still tickets for sale on BA718 for 13 May, so I figure I'll soon get things fixed. Hopefully....
Old May 5, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
Well I've had a refund relating to the Late February "IT Meltdown" from BAH but they have completely cocked it up.

Weekend Break Flights and Hotel booked from EDI to DUS via LHR out Friday 25th February return Sunday 27th February - cost £224.

Only got as far as LHR on the 25th then Flight to Dusseldorf cancelled - the following morning one Saturday 26th was also cancelled - they had put me up overnight at LHR on Friday, I was then left to fend for myself incurring expenses to get back to Edinburgh as no one at the Airport would help and the BAH Helpline was jammed.

You'd think as I mentioned to them this was an open and shut case for a full refund of the £224 paid for the Holiday as per the PTR's.

Somehow they have concluded I am only entitled to £100 odd back ? - You couldn't make it up - wish I'd just done a chargeback.

They mentioned my details would be passed over for any compensation/expenses due, I had already given them the claim reference number. The lack of synchronicity between BAH and BA needs to be addressed. Why should a claim like mine have to be bisected in this manner ?
wanderingjock likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 10:36 am

<strong>FOR THOSE WITH RECENT BA CANCELLATIONS: QR (Qatar) and Lufhansa rebooking options</strong><br /><br />Qatar: Oh yes. I can see a recent amendment to policy; "Passengers can be rerouted via Doha so long as the Qatar operated sector(s) do not touch anywhere in North America, Latin America, the Caribbean, Mexico, China, Japan, Korea, North &amp; West Africa, Levant (Israel), Non-EU Eastern European countries, or countries North of Afghanistan/China."<br /><br />On the other hand I wasn't aware <strong>Lufthansa</strong> has been extended, which it has, from yesterday and until 29 October no less, so that's a useful alternative, covering Austrian, Swiss and CityLine.<br /><br />So both Qatar and Lufthansa Group options may help some travellers, Qatar has some geographical limits but works for places like UK to South Africa, India, South Asia.
So if say BA cancelled your club Europe plane from Madrid to London would they let you reroute from Madrid to Doha and then back to London ideally in a Q suite and with a Doha stopover?! Just joking! What does 'touch' mean here - fly over or land/connect in?

Now that would have been a nice option following BA cancelling my Madrid to LHR flight in February - for which I still haven't had my claim paid for.
Old May 5, 2022, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by MARTYM8
So if say BA cancelled your club Europe plane from Madrid to London would they let you reroute from Madrid to Doha and then back to London ideally in a Q suite and with a Doha stopover?! Just joking! What does 'touch' mean here - fly over or land/connect in?
I suppose the choice of wording is odd, I don't think I've seen it on other customer advisories. I think it just means "goes via".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.