Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:41 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
BA548 (LHR-FCO) Cancelled Many Days - What To Do?

I am currently booked on BA548 from LHR to FCO in early July on an award flight booked with AA miles and originating in NYC. However, checking BA's site and FlightRadar24 I see that it has been cancelled most days over the past week and is preemptively cancelled many days over the next week.

Having not been following the operational drama very closely over the last couple months but being generally aware that short haul operations have been a bit of a mess, am I taking a major risk by relying on BA to get me to an important event in Italy that is only three days long (so I can't be late)?

My other option is simply booking the non-stop UA flight EWR-FCO for 155,000 UA miles.

Deep down in my heart I think the right answer is to pony up all the extra miles for the surety of the non-stop United, but want to make sure I'm not missing some counterpoint.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hp12c
I am currently booked on BA548 from LHR to FCO in early July on an award flight booked with AA miles and originating in NYC. However, checking BA's site and FlightRadar24 I see that it has been cancelled most days over the past week and is preemptively cancelled many days over the next week.
Have you been tracking when they are cancelled? Most of BA's recent series of cancellations have been made more than 2 weeks before departure, which is both better for the passenger and gets BA off the hook for EC261 compensation. There have been some "on the day" cancellations involving LCY and LGW staff, rather less at LHR and those have been down to the usual reasons for cancellations such as technical faults on aircraft. BA have actually been doing cancellations in 2 month batches and though I can't see your exact date I suspect you have gone through the July batch. If BA does cancel then they still have to rebook, with a CAA recommendation to maintain a same day flight. Personally unless you really don't cope well with uncertainty I would leave this until 2 weeks to departure, and if something did happen on the day be prepared to buy a London-Rome ticket on one of the very many alternatives to BA - and then haggle for a refund from BA there after. The UA mileage seems out of proportion to the potential Ł200 cost of self booking at short notice. Ckearly if the flight timings are so important that you can't afford to be say 2 hours late that would be another matter but I'm not reading that into your post.
hp12c likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:22 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Have you been tracking when they are cancelled? Most of BA's recent series of cancellations have been made more than 2 weeks before departure, which is both better for the passenger and gets BA off the hook for EC261 compensation. There have been some "on the day" cancellations involving LCY and LGW staff, rather less at LHR and those have been down to the usual reasons for cancellations such as technical faults on aircraft. BA have actually been doing cancellations in 2 month batches and though I can't see your exact date I suspect you have gone through the July batch. If BA does cancel then they still have to rebook, with a CAA recommendation to maintain a same day flight. Personally unless you really don't cope well with uncertainty I would leave this until 2 weeks to departure, and if something did happen on the day be prepared to buy a London-Rome ticket on one of the very many alternatives to BA - and then haggle for a refund from BA there after. The UA mileage seems out of proportion to the potential Ł200 cost of self booking at short notice. Ckearly if the flight timings are so important that you can't afford to be say 2 hours late that would be another matter but I'm not reading that into your post.
Thank you so much. This is the exact type of counterpoint and detail I was hoping for.

I haven't been tracking when they are cancelled, but I think I can hang on for another 1.5 weeks without being too concerned about this. I'd also imagine that Saturday flights to Italy are going out with pretty full loads and that BA would prefer to not cut those. I agree with you that spending an extra 100k (transferable) miles for the UA flight seems out of proportion, especially as I'd have to do it for two tickets.

As long as I arrive on July 9 and not too late in the evening I'll be fine, so I'll wait to do anything drastic. Thank you again corporate-wage-slave
Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:28 am
formerly JackDann

I flew a Company booked flight on the 9th - They booked a return for me. I requested an FTV for the return flight online and booked my own in CE using my Avios.

I never received the FTV - and can no longer find my booking reference anywhere. The only thing I have from this booking is the expired boarding pass on my mobile. I'm guessing this might have to be a phone call?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The change as reported in TlfL is quite significant https://www.turningleftforless.com/n...dition-trunki/

Previously any schedule change (i.e. re-timing of a flight rather than cancellation) allowed free rebooking on BA flights for the same route -2/+2 days of the original date. Now only changes of more than 2 hours are required before you can access free rebooking. There are a few exceptions relating to criuise bookings, same day return trips, and invalid connections.

The option of a refund remains available for changes of more then 4 hours.

Schedule changes - BA

For schedule changes on British Airways operated flights, any of the following rebooking or refund options are available:

Routing
Same point of origin and destination

Period
If total schedule change is more than 120 minutes (2 hours) from original flight time, then can rebook

within 2 days before or up to 2 days after the original departure date

Allowance
Rebook into the same class as original or if not available, the lowest class available in the same cabin

Important information
For schedule changes less than 2 hours no invol options are available with the exemption for cruise bookings, same day return customers, or customers with invalid connection times
May include a change of airports in the same city as original
Includes OpenSkies, BA CityFlyer and BA Franchisee operated services
Includes connecting services on BA if issued on the same ticket
Transfer point must remain the same unless alternative routing allowed in the fare rules
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Hello all
My BA452 LHR-IBZ tomorrow 17 June has just been cancelled and I have been rebooked via Madrid to arrive 3hr 20mins later.
Does anyone know the reason for the cancellation ?
Where can I find the cancellation code (I have seen mentioned in other posts) myself ?
Thanks all and happy travelling
D
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
My BA452 LHR-IBZ tomorrow 17 June has just been cancelled and I have been rebooked via Madrid to arrive 3hr 20mins later.
Does anyone know the reason for the cancellation ?
Where can I find the cancellation code (I have seen mentioned in other posts) myself ?
From ExpertFlyer: OPEY
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Globaliser
From ExpertFlyer: OPEY
Thanks ever so much for replying so quickly

i am guessing
OPE means an operational issue
Y means eligible for EU 262 compensation

Is that correct ?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
i am guessing
OPE means an operational issue
Y means eligible for EU 262 compensation

Is that correct ?
Exactly.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It looks more like a full flight to me, rather than one being earmarked for cancellation. There are 2 later services, one of which isn't so full, so personally I would not be too concerned.
yep, I was right. They cancelled her flight and put her on one landing at 10.30 pm. Doh

i have managed to get her onto a better flight arriving later, but not too awful. I should have moved her when I spotted this,
Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:19 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by JackDann
I flew a Company booked flight on the 9th - They booked a return for me. I requested an FTV for the return flight online and booked my own in CE using my Avios.

I never received the FTV - and can no longer find my booking reference anywhere. The only thing I have from this booking is the expired boarding pass on my mobile. I'm guessing this might have to be a phone call?
Sorry to bump this - but anybody able to give me a hand with what my options are here?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:22 am

Sorry to bump this - but anybody able to give me a hand with what my options are here?
If this was booked with a TA it’s the TA that needs to request a FTV, and you need to use it via the TA.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:05 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by KARFA
If this was booked with a TA it’s the TA that needs to request a FTV, and you need to use it via the TA.
Was booked direct with BA by a colleague of mine - But i'm guessing the same still stands that they have to apply for the FTV which is fair enough. Just could have sworn that previously I got the vouchers, but must have made this up.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If it was just the return trip where some flights were correctly used, then it probably went to the back office team for recalculation and then a value was attributed to the untaken flight. If it was an online eVoucher that should have generated an email as you suggested. But if it's on offline FTV, which is more likely, then that value would probably be attributed to the originally purchased 125 ticket. In which case if you try something like Qantas MMB to look up the PNR / Surname, it may give some duff information, but it will hold that 125 number which holds the value. Then you would call up to use that 125 number on a new flight, it can't be done online.
JD1905 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:42 am

Was booked direct with BA by a colleague of mine - But i'm guessing the same still stands that they have to apply for the FTV which is fair enough. Just could have sworn that previously I got the vouchers, but must have made this up.
If it is a part flown booking it would be an offline FTV and it would always go to the passenger, not the person who paid.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.