Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2021, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by hsumh316
I am currently on an AA operated BA flight. I am unable to select a seat since it looks like the flight LAX to MIA on AA 340 this Thursday August 12 is full. The full trip is from LAX to BCN and am arriving on the 14th of August and returning on the 15th of August. Would BA allow me move flights to a day earlier? Will I have any issues on an oversold flight?

Thanks
They are still selling seats for this flight:
AA 340 LAX 11:25p → MIA 7:37a
F1 A0 C0 J0 R0 D0 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S5 N5 Q0 O0 E7
So it does not appear to be oversold. As long as you are ticketed I would not necessarily worry about it.
Have you checked the AA forum threads regarding obtaining seat assignments and being unable to select a seat?
Old Aug 8, 2021, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
They are still selling seats for this flight:

So it does not appear to be oversold. As long as you are ticketed I would not necessarily worry about it.
Have you checked the AA forum threads regarding obtaining seat assignments and being unable to select a seat?
I am in biz and let me clarify that all seats are taken and i don’t see any of them as blocked so can not choose seat.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yikes it is busy, although there’s 3 vacant seats in rows 1&2 in the F cabin so presumably it’ll work itself out
Old Aug 8, 2021, 3:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think to answer your question, no BA won’t be pro actively allowing you to change flights in these circumstances.

It may be possible that AA will want to offload people on the day. You may want to ask AA on the day of you can move and if they are oversold they may do that for you. Otherwise there isn’t anything else you can do.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 3:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am currently on an AA operated BA flight. I am unable to select a seat since it looks like the flight LAX to MIA on AA 340 this Thursday August 12 is full. The full trip is from LAX to BCN and am arriving on the 14th of August and returning on the 15th of August. Would BA allow me move flights to a day earlier? Will I have any issues on an oversold flight?
It's probably not going to be an oversold flight given the way standby works in the US. But no, BA won't allow this, other than if it is a BA marketed service you can avail of the usual remedies such as move to another set of flights for just the fare difference, so no change fees. Even if it was BA metal and operated, BA wouldn't normally proactively contact people unless the overbooking was enormous (e.g. downscaling an A380 to a B777-200 or something similar). Since it's AA operated BA will leave it to AA to resolve.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 3:51 pm

I booked the flights after a previous one was cancelled. The original booking was a BA marketed AA operated flight. Given my short turnaround time in BCN I am not sure that i will make the trip at all if i were rebooked onto the next flight. Should i speak to AA about being moved to a different flight?
Old Aug 8, 2021, 3:54 pm

As noted, there is no point unless you speak to AA on the day and they happen to be looking to offload passengers from your flight.

Neither BA or AA are going to be interested in changing flights for you a few days before.

It isn’t actually clear the flight is oversold.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I am in biz and let me clarify that all seats are taken and i don’t see any of them as blocked so can not choose seat.
I have on occasion not been able to obtain a seat assignment until the airport, it seems to usually work out for most (and has always worked out for me). As you are booked in J I especially would not worry because, as noted by mikeyfly, AA has an easy way to accommodate any potential oversell of the J cabin by rolling some of the J cabin into F. If F and J were both oversold I doubt that AA would still be offering one F seat for sale on your flight.

You could set up an EF seat alert or call AA and ask about the seat map. BA isn't going to move you to an earlier flight just because you aren't able to select a seat at this time.
hsumh316 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
As your flights were booked through BA, I can’t see AA being able to help at this point. You can change without fees, however a fare difference would be charged if applicable, worth a call to BA to enquire the cost and ease of this. Failing that, cancel it all to a Future Travel Voucher under book with Confidence
hsumh316 likes this.

Last edited by mikeyfly; Aug 8, 2021 at 4:02 pm
Old Aug 8, 2021, 3:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If it's a BA ticket then normally it's BA you talk to, unless there are problems on the day, in which case it is over to AA. If it's oversold - which may not be the case by the time they throw off the non-revs - then AA usually has a well established mechanism for dealing with it. I'm kind of struggling in a sense - if you don't want to go then ask for an FTV, but if you booked it with just a few hours in BCN then it must have been obvious from the start that any delays (etc) would scupper your arrangements. If that happens then AA will rebook you as best they can.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If it's a BA ticket then normally it's BA you talk to, unless there are problems on the day, in which case it is over to AA. If it's oversold - which may not be the case by the time they throw off the non-revs - then AA usually has a well established mechanism for dealing with it. I'm kind of struggling in a sense - if you don't want to go then ask for an FTV, but if you booked it with just a few hours in BCN then it must have been obvious from the start that any delays (etc) would scupper your arrangements. If that happens then AA will rebook you as best they can.
I do want to go and little more than 24 hours which was my original plan and was plenty on what i needed to do(propose) but i guess i could do that in a few hours. I think i should be ok. I just noticed i have a long layover in MIA and i think i can still make it if i catch the AA2289 the next day with space. thanks for the help and advice!
Old Aug 8, 2021, 4:25 pm

Whilst having a plan B may be prudent, I suspect you will be on the flight you actually booked and there won’t be any issues on the day.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Whilst having a plan B may be prudent, I suspect you will be on the flight you actually booked and there won’t be any issues on the day.
I think i am just over worried. These assurances that it will work itself out helps allay my worries.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 1:28 am
gw3

My LHR-ZRH flight at has been cancelled on 25/8 at 0935 in J, booked with Avios. The MMB rebooking options give a 1535 flight the same day, which gets me into ZRH too late for a meeting, or a 0935 flight the previous day, which I can't take either due to meetings.

I asked the Gold line for a rebooking option with IB at 1850 on 24/8 with an overnight in MAD which would get me into ZRH at 1105 on 25/8. The agent said my only options were to take the BA flights offered or a refund. He couldn't rebook on IB with an avios ticket in these circumstances. He couldn't offer the LX flight as it was ticketed after 22/6. Is it worth trying again or do I have to take the refund?
Old Aug 9, 2021, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by gw3
. He couldn't offer the LX flight as it was ticketed after 22/6. Is it worth trying again or do I have to take the refund?
I suspect the agent hasn't had a chance to read the memo which came out a few days ago. The Lufthansa Group (or rather the LH, LX and OS bits of it) rebooking guideline was extended to 31 October in respect of both travel dates and ticket issue. Give it another go and mention that you have heard that the LH rebooking guidelines have recently been changed. Under that guideline BA flights are still the preferred option and yes it includes Avios bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.