Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
Are the tables shown in post #5 above up to date?

if not, does anyone have updated values?

Also, I seem to recall reading a single from EU to UK had lower fees, is that still the case?

Am looking at doing a trip (for 2) to AMS in June, during off peak season, which I could do LHR>BRU AMS>LHR as the Peter Gabriel gig I am looking at is in Antwerp... but struggling to work out best value on flights

TIA
Old Nov 14, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by KARFA
You should be able to price up an open jaw like that as a cash ticket on ba.com, then look at the price breakdown to see what the TFC is.
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Thanks, been a while since I've done an open jaw redemption.
That agrees with the Matrix round trip price.
I called and booked, but the Avios deducted and YQ isn’t what it should be, to my favour.

I did query it during the booking call, but was assured it was correct.

I have a ticket number, shows in MMB, etc.
If I do nothing, will this cause me problems?
Old Nov 14, 2022, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Would anyone know if this routing would work with a 2-4-1.
GRU-LHR (stop) LHR-DEL > DEL-LHR (stop) MIA or a Caribbean destination on BA.

I can price up the one way with a stop online but errors out when I try do return. Should be no YQ on entire journey right? Just Airport taxes and APD.
Bump.... Anyone?
Old Nov 14, 2022, 6:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Bump.... Anyone?
To be honest I'm not really sure as it's been a number of years since I redeemed a 241. As I understand it any type of open jaw has to be done by phone and if your a UK based member you have to start and finish in the UK I believe.

Probably best posting your original query in the 241 Main Thread where you will no doubt get a precise answer.Sorry I can't assist anymore than above but it will be better if you bump your question there I think.

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion
onlysuites likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 3:08 pm

anyone know if you can add an leg to a avios reward without incurring significant cost/penalty.?

I booked SEA-LHR but I want to add YVR-SEA but the agent I had said I needed to pay something ridiculous + more avios. It's only a hour flight.

Thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2022, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by spark787
anyone know if you can add an leg to a avios reward without incurring significant cost/penalty.?

I booked SEA-LHR but I want to add YVR-SEA but the agent I had said I needed to pay something ridiculous + more avios. It's only a hour flight.

Thanks!
You can certainly book YVR-SEA as a separate, stand-alone redemption. And AS will through-check bags on separate AS-BA tickets, but you probably would not be protected in the event of IROPS. If you want to replace SEA-LHR with YVR-SEA-LHR, you would have to pay the change fee and any additional taxes, or pay the cancellation fee and rebook.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 11:39 am

I'm trying to book an itinerary using BA Avios that is AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD (AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC on BA and CCC-DDD on AA). Each segment is available when searching separately with Avios and the entire itinerary shows up on AA.

However, when I put in AAA-DDD on BA's Avios website, it says there are no flights available.

Are there any ways to get this to be bookable online or do I have to call. I have to transfer the miles from Chase so need to know the total before transferring and booking.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LHW Sterling; SLH Inspired; Hilton & Marriott Gold; HT P9; (ex) AA survivor; Harrods Gold
Originally Posted by flyingcrooked
Thanks, yes, I have the Amex Platinum, although I find lounge access is unreliable because lounges can be closed to PP/Amex users.

I'm not sure I understood what you said about LHR-YUl UuAs. Can I just double check (new to BA so have no idea how upgrades work)./ Are you saying you saw upgrades from Premium Economy into Business for 37,500 Avios plus 770GBP for a return trip? I think that's what you meant, except 37,500 Avios at 17 pence each = £6375, and there's no way a J ticket cost that plus 770GBP plus whatever the premium economy fare cost in the first place. (If you meant 1.7 pence instead, that brings total cost of the J return to about £2200, assuming the original premium economy return was £800.)

Related question, if you have time: Are upgrades typically some number of points plus something like £800 on top of the points? Or can you go all points and/or all pounds sterling? Thanks.
Hi flyingcrooked :
So sorry about the delay in my response, I was away from my computer for some time, just got back home. The Amex Plat is probably the best bang for the buck lounge access in Canada now as PP is increasingly useless. There is some special dark magick involving the AC lounges but that's a different story.

As for the LHR-YUL UuAs, the math I did was based on the following: £7,200 (roundtrip in J) less £770 = £6,430; £6,430 / 37,500 = £0.17/Avios. This does not include the cost for the Prem. Economy fare which was why it was a bit off. The data is also biased because I rarely book flights more than a few weeks in advance, at most. Redoing this math, with updated info:
Spoiler

Unfortunately, I do not see availability for UuAs for those particular dates but at least the cost diff is proven out between WT+ and CW.

In my experience, it is indeed typically GBP+Avios but if memory serves there are a few different combinations possible.

Last edited by bzado; Nov 21, 2022 at 4:01 pm Reason: Symbol cleanup
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Still trying to upgrade my WTP inbound on 1-Jan-23 LHR-SAN.

Spoke to exec Club again. I've not heard this one before but, because I'd POUG'd the outbound, the ticket was locked for a UuA to biz on the inbound. I needed to upgrade both legs at the same time... apparently.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
For UuA you don't have to upgrade all sectors in a booking - you can choose to upgrade one or both sectors as you wish subject to reward availability of course.

I do suspect they will not be able to work out the additional taxes/fees/charges whilst you are on the phone, so it will need sending off to ticketing to get a quote.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For UuA you don't have to upgrade all sectors in a booking - you can choose to upgrade one or both sectors as you wish subject to reward availability of course.

I do suspect they will not be able to work out the additional taxes/fees/charges whilst you are on the phone, so it will need sending off to ticketing to get a quote.
I was told point blank i couldnt UuA the leg i wanted as the ticket was locked.

I checked this afternoon and there were 2x biz reward seats available. I'll ask again at the airport.

POUG for the sector is £657 so maybe AUP will end up not being much more than fees/taxes etc.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
When is your first flight in the booking? Other than the ticket being under airport control I do not understand what they mean by a locked ticket. A poug would just generate a new ticket at the time it was done.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When is your first flight in the booking? Other than the ticket being under airport control I do not understand what they mean by a locked ticket. A poug would just generate a new ticket at the time it was done.
First leg is 17-Dec.

Thanks for the responses. I'm very new to this and totally clueless.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by bzado
Hi flyingcrooked :
So sorry about the delay in my response, I was away from my computer for some time, just got back home. The Amex Plat is probably the best bang for the buck lounge access in Canada now as PP is increasingly useless. There is some special dark magick involving the AC lounges but that's a different story.

As for the LHR-YUL UuAs, the math I did was based on the following: £7,200 (roundtrip in J) less £770 = £6,430; £6,430 / 37,500 = £0.17/Avios. This does not include the cost for the Prem. Economy fare which was why it was a bit off. The data is also biased because I rarely book flights more than a few weeks in advance, at most. Redoing this math, with updated info:
Spoiler

Unfortunately, I do not see availability for UuAs for those particular dates but at least the cost diff is proven out between WT+ and CW.

In my experience, it is indeed typically GBP+Avios but if memory serves there are a few different combinations possible.
right, thanks. I guess I hadn't been thinking of a biz return as costing over 7K GBP! I appreciate the further info you provided.
bzado likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 4:57 am

Where has the reward flight saver gone? A couple weeks ago I looked up Hannover > London and it was coming up as £1 for a flight I might need under the reward flight saver. Today I checked and it wants £30 plus nearly 10k miles (when in cash it is £65). Any ideas? How can I get it to book as a reward flight saver?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.