FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:00 pm
bzado

Programs: BA Gold; LHW Sterling; SLH Inspired; Hilton & Marriott Gold; HT P9; (ex) AA survivor; Harrods Gold
Originally Posted by flyingcrooked
Thanks, yes, I have the Amex Platinum, although I find lounge access is unreliable because lounges can be closed to PP/Amex users.

I'm not sure I understood what you said about LHR-YUl UuAs. Can I just double check (new to BA so have no idea how upgrades work)./ Are you saying you saw upgrades from Premium Economy into Business for 37,500 Avios plus 770GBP for a return trip? I think that's what you meant, except 37,500 Avios at 17 pence each = £6375, and there's no way a J ticket cost that plus 770GBP plus whatever the premium economy fare cost in the first place. (If you meant 1.7 pence instead, that brings total cost of the J return to about £2200, assuming the original premium economy return was £800.)

Related question, if you have time: Are upgrades typically some number of points plus something like £800 on top of the points? Or can you go all points and/or all pounds sterling? Thanks.
Hi flyingcrooked :
So sorry about the delay in my response, I was away from my computer for some time, just got back home. The Amex Plat is probably the best bang for the buck lounge access in Canada now as PP is increasingly useless. There is some special dark magick involving the AC lounges but that's a different story.

As for the LHR-YUL UuAs, the math I did was based on the following: £7,200 (roundtrip in J) less £770 = £6,430; £6,430 / 37,500 = £0.17/Avios. This does not include the cost for the Prem. Economy fare which was why it was a bit off. The data is also biased because I rarely book flights more than a few weeks in advance, at most. Redoing this math, with updated info:
Spoiler

Unfortunately, I do not see availability for UuAs for those particular dates but at least the cost diff is proven out between WT+ and CW.

In my experience, it is indeed typically GBP+Avios but if memory serves there are a few different combinations possible.

Last edited by bzado; Nov 21, 2022 at 4:01 pm Reason: Symbol cleanup