Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

September 2020 flight cancellations and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Scotflyer80
BA have in the last week made a number of adjustments to their schedule for the month of September.

London Heathrow Longhaul

Updated: 27 August (05:30)

Abuja - Daily (from 16SEP)
16SEP & 17SEP - 777-200ER (4 Class)
18SEP to 30SEP - 777-200ER (3 Class with CW suite)

Accra - Daily (3 Class) 777-200ER (from 04SEP)
Bahrain - 3 x Weekly (4 Class) 777-200ER (from 18SEP)
Bangalore - 4 x Weekly A350-1000XWB
Boston - Daily A350-1000XWB
Cairo - 3 x Weekly 787-9
Chicago - Daily A350-1000XWB
Dallas - Daily 787-10
Delhi - Daily 787-9
Dubai - Daily A350-1000XWB
Grand Cayman - (3 Class) 777-200ER (operates 17SEP only )
Hong Kong - Daily 777-300ER
Islamabad - 5 x Weekly 787-8
Kuwait - 3 x Weekly (4 Class) 777-200ER
Lagos - Daily (4 Class) 777-200ER
Los Angeles - Daily 787-9
Miami - Daily 787-9
Moscow DME - 3 x Weekly 787-8
Mumbai - 5 x Weekly 777-300ER
Nairobi - 4 x Weekly 777-300ER
New York (JFK) - 2 x Daily (4 Class). 777-200ER
Riyadh - 4 x Weekly (4 Class) 777-200ER
San Francisco - Daily 777-300ER
Săo Paulo - Daily 787-9
Seattle - 3 x Weekly 787-10
Seychelles - 2 x Weekly 787-9 (from 16SEP)
Shanghai - 2 x Weekly 777-300ER
Singapore - 4 x Weekly 777-300ER
Tel Aviv - 3 x Weekly A350-1000XWB
Toronto - Daily 787-8
Washington - Daily A350-1000XWB

London Gatwick Longhaul

Updated: 27 August (06:00)

Antigua - 2 x Weekly (3 Class) 777-200ER
Barbados - 3 to 4 x Weekly (4 Class) 777-200ER
Bermuda - 5 x Weekly (4 Class) 777-200ER
Kingston - 3 x Weekly (3 Class) 777-200ER
St Lucia - 2 x Weekly (4 Class) 777-200ER

London City

Updated: 27 August (06:15)

Belfast City - 5 x Weekly (from 07SEP)
Berlin - 5 x Weekly (from 07SEP)
Dublin - 5 x Weekly
Edinburgh - 6 x Weekly
Faro - 4 x Weekly
Florence - 13 x Weekly
Frankfurt - 4 x Weekly (from 07SEP)
Glasgow - 6 x Weekly
Ibiza - 7 x Weekly
Zürich - 4 x Weekly (from 07SEP)

Further changes are highly likely between now and the start of September
Print Wikipost

September 2020 flight cancellations and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2020, 5:37 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Travellingberry
We're in a similar situation with flights to Bangkok on 3rd September. I think BA will be waiting until restrictions are updated towards the end of this month after Thailand extended the travel restrictions until end of August. Reading through all the threads on cancellations, we are sitting tight, worst case scenario if they don't cancel the flights we will have to pay the rebooking fee and accept loosing the seat reservation fees (it's an Amex 2 for 1 reward booking).
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Forum Travellingberry and thanks for your post. I would imagine your flights will be cancelled in due course and I'd sit tight for now bearing in mind it's an Avios booking.
Travellingberry likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: United, Virgin, BA, AA
Originally Posted by tonmason
Yes, we will wait and who knows maybe by then we will decide to travel.
Well, I just received an e-mail that my December 28th flight to Abu Dhabi (booked with Avios) has been cancelled. I also received an e-mail that my return flight from Dubai as had an aircraft change and (I used Avios for the flight and pre-booked seats). As the flights were booked separately, I will just wait to see if our return is cancelled. However, I will request a refund for the seat bookings. No holidays for us this year.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
With the BA schedule showing the resumption of JNB and CPT flights from September, does anyone believe that these flights will actually operate? I just can't believe that there are enough South African citizens to warrant a daily JNB flight from 01 September (as at this stage non-SA citizens are still not allowed to enter South Africa and can't really see this changing by 01 September - although would be happy to be proved wrong).
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
With the BA schedule showing the resumption of JNB and CPT flights from September, does anyone believe that these flights will actually operate? I just can't believe that there are enough South African citizens to warrant a daily JNB flight from 01 September (as at this stage non-SA citizens are still not allowed to enter South Africa and can't really see this changing by 01 September - although would be happy to be proved wrong).
A useful sub-forum with loads of local input and web-links.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afri...g-time-18.html

The chances of British pax flying BA from UK and then entering SA this year are microscopic.
wijibintheair and twincheeks like this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life, EK, AC, VS, Accor Platinum, Hyatt, Marriott, Jumeirah
I called BAH, yesterday, regarding the balance due on a booking to MRU, departing September 3. (Mauritius had announced that it would be opening borders on September 1 but hasn't issued any further information, to date, which gave me doubts that this trip would be happening). I was told that my bookings were in a queue which indicated that the flights will be cancelled, so I cancelled the booking and received a full refund of the deposit.
tonmason likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by T8191
A useful sub-forum with loads of local input and web-links.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afri...g-time-18.html

The chances of British pax flying BA from UK and then entering SA this year are microscopic.
Thanks for your response. I am aware of all this hot air published by SA Tourism, and apologies for sounding cynical but I have worked for the last 25 years in the tourism to Africa sector so take any such publication with a rather large pinch of salt. As I have dual nationality I have the right to return to SA so that is not so much the question. It really is more, does anyone believe that BA will indeed restart operations to JNB and CPT as of September 1st?
Old Aug 7, 2020, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
Originally Posted by Guy Traveller
I was told that my bookings were in a queue .
What is meant by "queue" in this context?
TIA
Old Aug 7, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze, HHonors: Silver, Virgin Flying Club: Red, Miles & More
Interesting to see that the usual MAD 777 is changing to a daily 787-8 throughout September.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK *G, Virgin Flying Club, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks for your response. I am aware of all this hot air published by SA Tourism, and apologies for sounding cynical but I have worked for the last 25 years in the tourism to Africa sector so take any such publication with a rather large pinch of salt. As I have dual nationality I have the right to return to SA so that is not so much the question. It really is more, does anyone believe that BA will indeed restart operations to JNB and CPT as of September 1st?
I don't have the answer but it is possible that cargo could justify the flight. I would expect CPT is more likely to be cancelled. I would think BA would want to re establish some sort of link with SA even if not daily. Another data point is for example the current flights to Moscow despite the fact that non Russians cannot enter.
wijibintheair likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 6:26 am

Thanks TonyVD - I wondered whether a flight could operate with minimal passengers but still be profitable (or at least cover costs) with a full payload of cargo, but wasn't sure.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
Thanks TonyVD - I wondered whether a flight could operate with minimal passengers but still be profitable (or at least cover costs) with a full payload of cargo, but wasn't sure.
Surely if just a cargo flight they only need flight deck crew and a Load Master, but even if only 1 paying PAX they need a level of cabin crew ...?
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Delboy65
Surely if just a cargo flight they only need flight deck crew and a Load Master, but even if only 1 paying PAX they need a level of cabin crew ...?
There’s the rub. Start adding pax and you move into a whole new world of regulations, including CC as you mention.

My foggy crystal ball suggests to me that BA are including “possible” in their scheduling as a bookmark.

@ wijibintheair ... sorry, I had misinterpreted your particular interest.
wijibintheair likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by T8191

My foggy crystal ball suggests to me that BA are including “possible” in their scheduling as a bookmark.

@ wijibintheair ... sorry, I had misinterpreted your particular interest.
Absolutely no need for an apology, appreciate your response. Guess the answer will come with time. Certainly not making anymore bookings until I know for certain
Modo, FlyingHighlander and T8191 like this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Have a flight from ATL-LHR in early September. It's just a long weekend trip so definitely won't be going since I'd have to quarantine the whole time. Surprised that it hasn't been cancelled yet. BA shows a full daily schedule in September which is obviously not going to happen - just annoyed they're taking so long to cancel. Delta is flying only 4X weekly at what appears to be ~30% load factors (down from 21X weekly on a normal schedule).

Maybe next weekend...
Old Aug 9, 2020, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC, Marriott, AA
Received notification that BA15 to SYD via SIN on 6 Nov has been cancelled - irony is I've already moved it from March 2020 (with a change fee!!) - think I'll take the refund option vs the offer of a voucher to Apr 2022 but it may take that long to get through to the call centre...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.