Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa - possible limits on travel for a long time...

South Africa - possible limits on travel for a long time...

Old Jul 30, 20, 7:05 am

Some positive news:
- Leisure travel accommodation will be allowed within provinces
- Tour operators will also now be allowed to conduct guided tours in "open safari vehicles".
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/tr...ockdown-2020-7

Of course it still remains to see what the actual regulations will say and what nonsensical conditions those might have, but it's a good kick-start for domestic tourism.
Old Jul 30, 20, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
Tour operators will also now be allowed to conduct guided tours in "open safari vehicles" ... it's a good kick-start for domestic tourism.
But what is there to kick-start?

Most of the private game lodges are located in Mpumalanga, a small number in Limpopo. That severely restricts their potential market. Private lodges, especially the upmarket ones, have always depended on foreign tourists for almost all their business, and the affluent segment of the SA population is not that well represented in the Lowveld provinces. I can't see many lodges reopening and bringing back staff on the off-chance of attracting the odd nature lover from Lydenburg or Thohoyandou.

The same goes for OSV operators offering drives in the KNP. Their customer bases is almost exclusively international too.

Johan
HGOLI likes this.
Old Jul 30, 20, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
But what is there to kick-start?

Most of the private game lodges are located in Mpumalanga, a small number in Limpopo. That severely restricts their potential market. Private lodges, especially the upmarket ones, have always depended on foreign tourists for almost all their business, and the affluent segment of the SA population is not that well represented in the Lowveld provinces. I can't see many lodges reopening and bringing back staff on the off-chance of attracting the odd nature lover from Lydenburg or Thohoyandou.

The same goes for OSV operators offering drives in the KNP. Their customer bases is almost exclusively international too.

Johan
I agree, but there are plenty of game reserves in the other provinces as well who have a better potential for having customers, even if only as day visitors now that they are allowed to do guided game drives.
Add to that, they can potentially rent out their "open safari vehicles" to be used outside of the game reserve if there is no/low demand or they don't wish to open at all.

Then again it's not all about the game lodges, there are plenty of other hotels around which I'm sure will welcome the opportunity to open up for leisure travellers.
Old Jul 30, 20, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
From our Hotel Manager in Hermanus ...
We are still closed, and will remain so until at least October. We rely more on International travel, then domestic tourism, and we are not allowed to open yet for leisure tourism anyway!
Theres a lot of non-Safari business activity being strangled.
Old Yesterday, 9:28 am

Draft SA tourism recovery plan published.

https://www.tourism.gov.za/Pages/home.aspx

It is a big read but contains a lot of information.
From page 35. If Q1 for core markets is not attainable then :-

Under the first of these scenarios, the timeframe for early Asian/Australasian re-opening moves from July/August 2020 to November 2020, while core markets (the UK, Germany and the US) can only be expected to return after April 2021. The second scenario paints an even bleaker picture, with international outbound travel from Asia picking up between May and July 2021 and travel from core markets only returning from Nov 2021.
Old Yesterday, 9:44 am

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by acucobol View Post
Draft SA tourism recovery plan published.

https://www.tourism.gov.za/Pages/home.aspx

It is a big read but contains a lot of information.
From page 35. If Q1 for core markets is not attainable then :-

Under the first of these scenarios, the timeframe for early Asian/Australasian re-opening moves from July/August 2020 to November 2020, while core markets (the UK, Germany and the US) can only be expected to return after April 2021. The second scenario paints an even bleaker picture, with international outbound travel from Asia picking up between May and July 2021 and travel from core markets only returning from Nov 2021.
OK. So South Africa is off the agenda for most, probably for about two years.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Yesterday, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Have had a (quick) read through most of that - thanks for posting.

The material is very much about preparing a long-term national strategy for re-engaging with markets, which obviously isn't neccessarily the same thing as a operational view of when airspace can reopen. There's some discussion about historical passenger volumes from page 62 onwards, but the comments regarding the UK in April 2021 appear to be about when SA Tourism can realistically expect to see an uptick in activity.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Yesterday, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer View Post
OK. So South Africa is off the agenda for most, probably for about two years.
I don't think that's what the document is saying - the comments are about when SA Tourism expects to see tourists from the UK return in reasonable numbers, not neccessarily when tourists will be physically able to visit.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Yesterday, 10:16 am

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by captainmargaret View Post
I don't think that's what the document is saying - the comments are about when SA Tourism expects to see tourists from the UK return in reasonable numbers, not neccessarily when tourists will be physically able to visit.
After the draconian lockdown, I think most are going to want to see things functioning reasonably for a good few months before even thinking about returning.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Yesterday, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Either I’m stupid (possible) or the Draft Plan has been pulled (possible). All I’m getting is the home page with some random snippets! I need a Tour Guide!

(OK, I‘m stupid ... Panel on the right. Has that just changed? Whichever ... reading now.)
Old Yesterday, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer View Post
After the draconian lockdown, I think most are going to want to see things functioning reasonably for a good few months before even thinking about returning.
Don't disagree - I'm pointing out the speculation about dates in the document in't about when tourists will be able to return, but when SA Tourism believe they will start doing so in numbers.
LETTERBOY and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Yesterday, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Either Im stupid (possible) or the Draft Plan has been pulled (possible). All Im getting is the home page with some random snippets! I need a Tour Guide!

(OK, Im stupid ... Panel on the right. Has that just changed? Whichever ... reading now.)
Their site UX is dreadful - it's still there, but not obvious what you should click

You'll find it at https://www.tourism.gov.za/AboutNDT/...ery%20Plan.pdf
T8191 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by captainmargaret View Post
Their site UX is dreadful - it's still there, but not obvious what you should click

You'll find it at https://www.tourism.gov.za/AboutNDT/...ery%20Plan.pdf
Thanks ... got it and bookmarked, Something to read in the morning on a proper device, rather than iPad on tne sofa!!
Old Yesterday, 3:42 pm

The real sweet spot for a visitor will come when there's no covid and no mobs of other tourists, yet well working infrastructure providing shelter, food, and transport. Such perfect combo of circustances might never happen in RSA or will only last a few weeks.
T8191 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
wrong emoji
:/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: