Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Really doubling down in doing over the April and May year-ends. 🤨
Yes, completely agree. I feel quite disheartened by this news. With the way that BAEC operates with different membership years for all members, there were always going to be winners and losers, and it doesn't feel great sitting here missing out by one month next year with no opportunity to avail of any business travel until the new year at least....
our_kid and Petrus like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by flybeyondtheworld
Sorry for newbie question 🙋‍♂️ but if my tier date expires Jan 22 does that mean that it has been extended til Jan 23 which I understand but does the tier points start over on Jan 22 or does the uptoday tier count go til Jan 23
Card Expriy date will show Jan 23 soon, TP reset will show changes once the new year kicks in.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:19 am

Feeling a bit stiffed by this again (May TP year end). Lost Gold when I couldn't take my usual March trips in 2020, and now I'll lose Silver as I haven't been able to take any of my usual US trips in 2021.

Could do a tier point run, but I'm really not sure I care to.
ianwall and jonr405 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger
Yes, completely agree. I feel quite disheartened by this news. With the way that BAEC operates with different membership years for all members, there were always going to be winners and losers, and it doesn't feel great sitting here missing out by one month next year with no opportunity to avail of any business travel until the new year at least....
It's a rolling programme of status renewal, and has been from the start. There will always be those whose year-end is just beyond the current batch of extensions, and you just have to be patient and see what happens.
Gastrocnemius and dougzz like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Really doubling down in doing over the April and May year-ends. 🤨
As an April YE I don't feel like that. Yes it would have been nice to have it locked in, but the rolling approach is understandable given the situation. If nothing changes is it not likely that Apr/May/Jun will be extended in December? If the USA opens then BA may feel that the opportunity to gain the TP is there, if US remains closed then assuming BA remains the next block will likely to be extended. Given it's very US focused nature BA will be driven by US reopening or not.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by RG1X
Feeling a bit stiffed by this again (May TP year end). Lost Gold when I couldn't take my usual March trips in 2020, and now I'll lose Silver as I haven't been able to take any of my usual US trips in 2021.

Could do a tier point run, but I'm really not sure I care to.
DIdn't you get the first extension that allowed you to retain gold?
Keystone likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Sighhh... as an April month end member it's pretty terrible and means dropping from Gold to Bronze over the Covid period.
  • 8th April 2020 - Not enough TP's to requalify as Gold.
  • 31st May 2020 - Gold expires and drop to silver. Request to credit cancelled QR flights in Q1 denied.
  • 11th June 2020 - Extensions announced, Missed out on gold being extended until May 2022 by 11 days. Silver extended until 2022 instead + reduced TP requirements.
  • 8th April 2021 - Silver status protected, with reduced TP's requirements again
  • 20th Sept 2021 - Further extensions announced - Missed out on silver being extended until May 2023, as only applies to Jan-Mar members.
  • 8th April 2022 - (Likely) not enough TP's for Silver.
  • 31st May 2022 - (Likely) drop to bronze.

Obviously as a FT, the answer is to do a TP run after 8th April 2022, but does feel I've missed out from both protections that others have had.

Last edited by ianwall; Sep 20, 2021 at 2:18 pm Reason: corrected June 2020 date to 11th
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by dougzz
DIdn't you get the first extension that allowed you to retain gold?
They extended current status, which had dropped from Gold to Silver as of May 2020 (as I couldn't take my usual flights in March).

Similar to ianwall's post.
ianwall likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:50 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Card expiry already updated to Feb 2023 - that was quick.
drwook likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by LHSEN
same here 28 feb 2023😁
Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Yes, the BA site is clear it applies to retaining tiers as well, so as long as you hit the target by June 30th you'd be Gold. The potentially unpleasant surprise is if you don't hit the target by then as you will then need (in the absence of any further policy changes) the full 1500TP.

If that is what they plan to do - and to repeat myself, in the absence of clear info from BA I can't be certain - it does greatly diminish the value of the reduced targets for many. Consider:

July - a July member benefits from this, in effect their TP collection year has become 8 days shorter in exchange for 25% reduction in target
August - an August member benefits, but somewhat less. The effectively "lose" 39 days of their collection year, but that's still a smaller reduction that the 25% reduction in target

And so on...

Now, if you consider an October member, there is virtually no benefit at all. They have a reduced target of 75%, but have only circa 75% of their collection year to reach it.

It's very frustrating that BA aren't being clearer on this point, if indeed that is how they are implementing it.
And even as a Nov reset - if that were to be the case, I would be okay with that - as I can front-load a lot of trips and get 3,570 for GGL by June 2022 - as long as Covid allows me to actually travel.

But it's the ambiguity of it all that makes we wonder if I should bother even trying.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by RG1X
They extended current status, which had dropped from Gold to Silver as of May 2020 (as I couldn't take my usual flights in March).

Similar to ianwall's post.
I see, my misunderstanding. It must be impossibly difficult for them to do things in a way that isn't commercial suicide, whilst not annoying all the various groups of members that have different issues. Did you try to approach them with details of the cancelled flights, I'm sure I've seen reports of some success in regard to cancelled flights being considered.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:36 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by LHSEN
Mine as well. I think I will have lunch in the CCR on Wednesday to celebrate!
Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by dougzz
I see, my misunderstanding. It must be impossibly difficult for them to do things in a way that isn't commercial suicide, whilst not annoying all the various groups of members that have different issues. Did you try to approach them with details of the cancelled flights, I'm sure I've seen reports of some success in regard to cancelled flights being considered.
I didn't, to be honest there were bigger things to be concerned about at that point!
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:01 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by zen100
But it's the ambiguity of it all that makes we wonder if I should bother even trying.
Agreed, that is very frustrating.

I'm just regular Gold, and there's a chance I could hit 1125 before July '22 but if, despite what the app and website say, it turns out I need 1500 regardless then that becomes very unlikely. I also don't see how BA could possibly defend such a position tbh, if they'd spent almost the whole collection year telling a member they needed 225/450/1125 etc, only to change that in the home straight as it were...

BA say:
We’ve decreased the amount of Tier Points needed by 25% for members renewing or upgrading to higher Tiers until 30 June 2022, making that next Tier more achievable. Further measures will be considered in time, we’re continuing to assess the fluid situation and are keeping developments under close observation.
Now, it seems to me that there is (or rather was) at least 3 ways that can be interpreted.

1) If your collection year ends before 30 June 2022, you'll get the reduced target for that year. This seemed to be how it was universally interpreted at the start, but with the Jul/Aug/Sep members still showing reduced targets I think this one must be discarded.

2) If your collection year starts before 30 June 2022, you'll get the reduced target for that year. This would be consistent with the fact that BA have historically processed retentions at the TP year end, but if this is the plan then why specifically mention 30 June, that's not a TP year end for anyone. Why not talk in terms of monthly members like they usually do? Also, why not communicate this unambiguously to the membership as it would be a significant benefit.

3) Regardless of when your TP year ends, you can avail of the lower targets up to 30 June 2022, but if you have not obtained/retained a tier by then then it's back to full requirements. If they do plan to take this approach, I can see why they wouldn't be shouting it from the rooftops....

Head For Points (Raffles) notes that based on the email they got from BA their reading is consistent with 3) above.
zen100 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.