Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Bobdh13
According to their twitter team (i messaged twice) it does seem it will be extended to October 2023... but lets see
It might well do, but as noted I wouldn't personally think it will. Great news for those who benefit if it does.....

I note the reply you got from the Twitter team, but I personally wouldn't take that as gospel, they (and CS) are necessarily generalists who have to deal with a huge breadth of queries. If you look back over this thread, following the June 2020 policies there were some rather confused (and wrong) responses coming from individual agents. (And I don't blame them for that, they were trying to understand a new and rather unclear policy)

But as you say, time will tell. Fingers crossed for good news for you.
Bobdh13 likes this.
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bobdh13
According to their twitter team (i messaged twice) it does seem it will be extended to October 2023... but lets see
So these are the two questions for everyone:

1. Is anyone getting today's email even when their year end is not within the period 1 July 2021 to 31 December 2021 or the card expiry not within the period 31 August 2021 to 31 January 2022?

2. Is anyone who already had a card expiry from February 2022 onwards also seeing an additional year added today to take that card expiry to February 2023 onwards?
geo1005 and BertieBadger like this.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dambus
Surely BA will take the opportunity to break free of the COBOL/FORTRAN era and shift everyone to calendar year status earning/renewal?
The rest of your post makes me think that maybe you're not serious about this.

But in any event, please no. The two of us have year-end dates three months apart. It's meant that we have successively benefited from different extensions. Just as in normal times, it increases the chances that at least one of us is Gold at any point in time. Having aligned year-end dates makes it an all-or-nothing exercise, which would be less good.
Keystone likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:56 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Geordie405
This is precisely my situation. I am a December renewal, based in the US, and I am already at 720 TPs with another 980 to be accrued in terms of AA and AS bookings between now and September. However, for me, the challenge would have been to get the 4 qualifying flights to maintain status. I would only have managed this by heading back to the UK - and with the current situation there's still a lot of doubt whether I will make it back this year. So for me the issue is definitely not TPs but rather qualifying flights whereas for those in the UK it's likely to be the other way round. This news from BA is very welcome indeed.
I a US-based November renewal (Dec 31 expiration) member. I had already been extended to 12/31/21. My wife is currently out to May 2022 (I had thought that having different renewal years was a bad thing, but now see the advantage). We qualify for Silver each year for domestic AA lounge (and Flagship Lounge when they're open) access. So this is easier on the TP levels. The plan was to move some AA (and AS as since they will join OW) flights to BA for some of the TP and then take a trip to Europe over the New Year's holiday for the BA flights and the remaining Tier Points (once I realized that I could fly the AA metal LAX-LHR purchased under BA to count as a BA flight, life got better ).

Now it seems that I can put off that requirement until December 2022. Good news, indeed.

Cheers.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
So these are the two questions for everyone:

1. Is anyone getting today's email even when their year end is not within the period 1 July 2021 to 31 December 2021 or the card expiry not within the period 31 August 2021 to 31 January 2022?

2. Is anyone who already had a card expiry from February 2022 onwards also seeing an additional year added today to take that card expiry to February 2023 onwards?
That question is one of the remaining ponderables in this episode KARFA, and given the hopes and expectations dashed after the extension last year, BA should have learned to clearer in their emails.

For what it’s worth, my interpretation is this latest announcement is intended to protect members who, between July and December 2021, would drop a tier due to their inability to travel for the bulk of their membership year. Members with status lasting to between July and December 2022 don’t need protecting, but only time will tell.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 8:01 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by danboy767
As a Feb 2022 renewal gutted that I will have only 6-7 months to accrue the points to retain status. Been Gold now for around 8 years and surely BA have to realise that this punishes anyone with an early 2022 renewal.

Not happy and will politely raise the disparity to the BAEC. That said as of now I’ll be happy to be flying again as whatever status, in whatever cabin on any airline given how much I miss it!!
This is hard even for me, as a May renewal.
Just spent the morning refunding trips that have flight cancellations in April-June 2021 in the hope that I can book something for November and December to the US that works. I am also looking at a Mexico City for June/July followed by 4 weeks in the US doing some cheap flights on AA.
I will hang on to the refunded cash to pay for trips in Feb-May 2022 once the booking windows open up. Seems that there are some reasonable deals still from SOF, although BA doesn't have timetables loaded on many dates.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 8:20 am

Maybe this has been discussed, it's a long thread to go through, and perhaps it's moot anyway since I can't imagine that one day the airports will be full to capacity again, and that people will return to flying slowly, but I wonder how many additional status fliers all of these various extensions will cause. It was hard not to notice the First lounge at LHR getting busier as Gold extensions from the IT meltdown stuck around while new fliers achieved their own Golds.

Not that I'm complaining. I got the IT meltdown extension due to a flight from Nice; I was Bronze at the time. Before my year expired I naturally moved up to Silver and noticed the expiry date of my new card still reflected the extension, so I figured, in for a penny, in for a pound, and did my one and only TP run, flying from LA to New York via somewhere beginning with a P (I want to say Phoenix, but I honestly can't remember) to bump me up to Gold just before the deadline. And, sure enough, BA honoured my gold status for the full length of the IT extension. As a consequence of these two most recent status freezes, I'll have remained Gold for some five or six years despite only one year earning naturally enough TP to renew my status... and even then, during a year in which my status was going to be preserved regardless. Not too shabby, to be honest, and probably the closest I'll ever come to feeling like I won the lottery.

The craziest thing is, I booked a flight from Nice that year that landed at City. I would normally fly through LHR, and I have no idea why I booked City on that trip, but the upshot was I travelled to Nice airport with a friend, got my flight home exactly on schedule, and meanwhile he was texting me from the crappy shared lounge at Nice where he ultimately had to wait six or seven hours for his flight... and he never got the extension email for his troubles.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
. The two of us have year-end dates three months apart. It's meant that we have successively benefited from different extensions. Just as in normal times, it increases the chances that at least one of us is Gold at any point in time. Having aligned year-end dates makes it an all-or-nothing exercise, which would be less good.
I'd never thought about strategic alignment of membership years between couples. My OH and I share the same renewal month, but we had both been BAEC members for several years before we met. Maybe that should have been a make-or-break question on our first date (which itself was scheduled during long-way-round semi-TP run...) :-P She is currrently a lowly bronze (and that only because of reduced thresholds at the start of COVID); I had aspirations she might get to Silver with reduced thresholds this coming year, but if they don't apply to us, she probably won't....
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:11 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Urgh I wish they would just extend the TP collection year end dates

I'm a tiny Blue with 560 TP but with zero flights.
Collection year ends: May 8, 2021

So now I have to kinda rush and book a trip somewhere on BA/IB to reach Silver
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by enelym1978

Doesn't 560 get you silver these days?
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:13 am

Actually, nobody in our family of 4 received any comms from BA, and my date has not changed to 2023

thanks

hash
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:14 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Doesn't 560 get you silver these days?
I'm missing the 4 BA/IB metal flights....
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by enelym1978

Contact BA; you should be Silver at the moment as the 2/4 BA segment requirement is waived for Tier Years ending until 8 June 2021 ( included ).
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
...as the 2/4 BA segment requirement is waived for Tier Years ending until 8 June 2021 ( included ).
Is that definitely correct for this case?

Looking here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...s-and-benefits I see the following (emphasis mine):

How do I benefit from the reduced Tier Point requirement to upgrade or renew my membership?
If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade under the reduced Tier Point or eligible flight requirement, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once the required number of Tier Points or flights have been credited to your account.

If you are eligible to renew your Tier under the reduced Tier Point or eligible flight requirement, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

In addition, members will need to have flown a minimum number of British Airways or Iberia flights to qualify for the 25% Tier threshold reduction in order to upgrade, or subsequently renew their membership for the following year. This is 2 for Bronze membership, and 4 for Silver and Gold membership..
So my reading here may be wrong, but if I make the assumption that enelym1978 was Blue as of June 2020 then they would have received no status extension, and with a May collection year they would be in their first year of needing the 25% reduction. If the 560TP were earned after June 2020, wouldn't they still need the 2/4 flights per the above? Could it be that the segment requirement was waived for members up to June 2020 ?
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Good news:
Thanks BertieBadger as I re-checked the link in your post:
The BA segment requirement is now waived for tier year ending until 8 December 2021 ( included )

Do I still need to have completed the minimum number of British Airways or Iberia flights required for my Tier to benefit from the 12-month status extension?You don’t need to have met the minimum eligible flights requirement to benefit from the 12-month extension, which is being applied to those memberships with Tier Point collection end dates of July 2020 – December 2021.

The eligible flights requirement will apply for members to qualify for the 25% Tier threshold reduction in order to upgrade, or subsequently renew their membership for the following year.
So we should conclude that the OP should be BA Silver at this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.