Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2021, 4:26 am

I’m not sure it is that ambiguous. They tried to say anyone with tier point year expiring this year, ie until 8 December would get an extension. As the 8 December year ends cards expire in January, some will have been given status until that time in 2023.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: OZ & BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott & Accor Plat
Dear Mr Bobdh13

Thank you for getting in touch with us about your membership status.

The 12 month extension currently being applied is for Executive Club members that will lose their Tier status in 2021.

I have checked your account and can confirm that as your account is already set to renew at Gold in September 2021, your card expiry of 31 October 2022 is correct.

I would like to assure you that as the situation is constantly changing, we are continuously reviewing our policy and will communicate any further updates accordingly.
Seems like they wont extend any status expiring in mid/late 2022 into 2023 unfortunately...
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bobdh13
Seems like they wont extend any status expiring in mid/late 2022 into 2023 unfortunately...
To be fair though if the purpose of this week's announcement is to protect those whose status would otherwise drop in the second half of 2021, it would seem you don't need it as you already are protected.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Yeah lets just see where it takes us, I've missed 12 months flying and extended 12 months which seems 'fair' as of today. But it's really odd seeing no flights in the app for the next 3+ months and realistically no/very little flying for the next 6, so I'm hoping something else does turn up at some point as next TP year will definitely be 'short' for many people too. It is however not yet at the point I feel I need to worry about it.

And maybe the stars will align and magically all borders will become unrestricted and business travel will go back to normal overnight and quicker than I'm expecting. I'd rather retain *and* make some use of the benefits in the process...!
Bobdh13 and Nephoi like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by KARFA
To be fair though if the purpose of this week's announcement is to protect those whose status would otherwise drop in the second half of 2021, it would seem you don't need it as you already are protected.
I agree, depending on how the situation unfolds, BA may decide to extend protect another tranche of members and/or play about with reduced thresholds. If travel does open up in late May, they will want to tempt people into flights again, not keep extending protecting status ad vitam aeternam.
VSLover, KARFA, Bobdh13 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 2:39 pm

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm anticipating making Silver before my current membership years ends on the 8th of December (i'm currently blue) - will this mean that i'd be extended for an extra year, or is it only applicable to those who ALREADY have status?
Old Mar 11, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by efincomputer
I'm anticipating making Silver before my current membership years ends on the 8th of December (i'm currently blue) - will this mean that i'd be extended for an extra year, or is it only applicable to those who ALREADY have status?
I'd doubt you'll get an extra year as on qualifying for silver, you'll already be at that level until Jan 2023 based on what you earned
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
As a data point,

BA honored my request to be upgraded to Gold with 1340TP's & 0 qualifying flights ( had more than 4 qualifying flights cancelled ). Filled the "Customer Relations" webform with the details of the cancelled BA flights, the PNR's for those flights and received an answer within 3 days.

I am now Gold until 31 October 2022.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
As a data point,

BA honored my request to be upgraded to Gold with 1340TP's & 0 qualifying flights ( had more than 4 qualifying flights cancelled ). Filled the "Customer Relations" webform with the details of the cancelled BA flights, the PNR's for those flights and received an answer within 3 days.

thats interesting. im still waiting for an answer. filled out the webform mid Februar. thats 4 weeks now.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 2:30 am

I was cheeky and (very politely) asked via Twitter if I could be upgraded from Bronze to Silver based on flights I hadn't even booked, but was going to honest guv. They (very politely) told me to get lost and be happy with the reduced tier-point threshold. As expected.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
As a data point,

That is interesting? I may well try too once I get over the threshold including cancelled flights, we’ve lost 920 (BA may argue it’s 780 due to involuntary cabin downgrade) so far to cancelled flights, with 500 more to either be earned or lost before October.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 2:50 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Nephoi
thats interesting. im still waiting for an answer. filled out the webform mid Februar. thats 4 weeks now.
Maybe worth a gentle, polite nudge. My experience of CS is they are not particularly quick to respond, but 4 weeks seems excessive.

A couple of thoughts - possibly they were aware of these upcoming policy changes, and had not replied until they were public. I don't know your individual situation in terms of TPs, qualifying flights & year end etc, but they may have more leeway to make discretionary decisions given that others have now benefited from the latest policy changes? Of course, as always, the issue with discretionary status is that there appear to be no rules to ensure consistency. Go back over this thread and you'll see people in identical situations getting different outcomes after such appeals to BAEC.

Another thought is that they are simply ignoring you. You would hope that wouldn't happen, but I had one CS member ignore multiple polite requests for a status update and silently close my enquiry. (I was able to reopen it after speaking to the Gold line). I should stress that this appears to be exceptional, but it may be possible. Again, a gentle polite nudge may get things moving.

Good luck.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 5:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Maybe worth a gentle, polite nudge. My experience of CS is they are not particularly quick to respond, but 4 weeks seems excessive.

A couple of thoughts - possibly they were aware of these upcoming policy changes, and had not replied until they were public. I don't know your individual situation in terms of TPs, qualifying flights & year end etc, but they may have more leeway to make discretionary decisions given that others have now benefited from the latest policy changes? Of course, as always, the issue with discretionary status is that there appear to be no rules to ensure consistency. Go back over this thread and you'll see people in identical situations getting different outcomes after such appeals to BAEC.

Another thought is that they are simply ignoring you. You would hope that wouldn't happen, but I had one CS member ignore multiple polite requests for a status update and silently close my enquiry. (I was able to reopen it after speaking to the Gold line). I should stress that this appears to be exceptional, but it may be possible. Again, a gentle polite nudge may get things moving.

Good luck.
im calling the german gold line right now. ticket was opened 09FEB.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 5:59 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Nephoi
im calling the german gold line right now. ticket was opened 09FEB.
That does seem an excessive wait.

I did summarise in my above comment, just to give a little more detail: The Gold line were able to see that my case had been closed, and when that had occurred. They were not able to reopen it directly themselves, but they did take action which resulted in my being contacted by the Executive Club within 24 hours saying they would investigate what had happened, to apologise, and to reopen my enquiry.

Hopefully they can at least confirm if your enquiry is active.
Nephoi and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
I think my current theory, as an expiring early 22 Gold with an FTV to burn that should get me a Gold earning TP run, is to book that TP run for the week after my earning year finishes.

I figure that way, without a further extension, I may soft land to silver (if I can't complete the run before the card expiry) for a brief period but then would get Gold for the remainder of 22-23 year plus 23-24.

If by chance BA do extend me to 23 anyway them the TP run would then be my requal required for the 23-24 year.

Net, net, aside of the reduced Vs full TP qualification period and a possible small.period soft landed to silver, unless I'm missing something the result is Gold to early 24.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.