Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer
I'm an October 21 renewal, I gained silver this collection year and my card says expires November 2022. That's the standard EC membership terms isn't it? I take it I've missed out on any extension as I obtained silver during the reduced total?
Yes, that's the standard way it works, and what I would expect in your position. If you reached Silver this collection year, then you have your status until the last day of the month following the end of your next collection year.

Your next collection year will run 9 Oct 21 to 8 Oct 22, giving a card expiry of the last day of the following month, i.e. 30 Nov 22.

BA's language around these policies has evolved - they now talk about "protecting" status more than simply "extending" it. Broadly, their take is that if you earned a status anyway, you don't need the assistance these policies provide so no, you don't get any extension benefit.

(That wasn't true in the first round of extensions, where some people who had earned a tier got another year for free, while others on the same tier got nothing, but they seem to have learned from that debacle)
LancashireFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by RG1X
Feeling a bit stiffed by this again (May TP year end). Lost Gold when I couldn't take my usual March trips in 2020, and now I'll lose Silver as I haven't been able to take any of my usual US trips in 2021.

Could do a tier point run, but I'm really not sure I care to.
The reduced TP plus double TPs for holidays make TP runs more attractive.. but i agree the extensions are a bit hit and miss... Pretty sure they will extend the next 3 months worth of BAEC accounts in due course, as an August baby, i don't think ill be lucky enough for another extension...
Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ianwall
Sighhh... as an April month end member it's pretty terrible and means dropping from Gold to Bronze over the Covid period.
This is pretty poor form... How many people in a similar situation are going to feel burnt by BA and either modify purchasing behaviour away from BA / IAG / Oneworld or change FF programmes for what is really marginal cost on their side.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by YacozA
This is pretty poor form... How many people in a similar situation are going to feel burnt by BA and either modify purchasing behaviour away from BA / IAG / Oneworld or change FF programmes for what is really marginal cost on their side.
Me for one! My TP collection date cut-off is 7th April. I'll miss by a week as things stand :-(
I am starting to ramp-up business travel with a dozen or so European segments booked between now and then, but no long haul. There simply isn't time to get to the renewal threshold.
15 years gold at risk of ending! If so I'll definitely start shopping around.
YacozA likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
Yes, this is my understanding. The reduced thresholds remain for all members until 30 June 2022 after which the standard thresholds apply across the board

So as a caution to those with a collection year ending 8 July 2022, you will continue to see the reduced thresholds in your Exec Club profile until 30 June 2022 but on 1 July 2022, they will jump back to the standard rates, so plan accordingly.
That is, frankly, a royal PITA for me. I'm a September year ender and was banking on a flight early next July to get me to the 450 mark to keep silver. May require a tactical B2B in CE to get me there now...
Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I have updated the chart in the wiki, incorporating the news received today

Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:56 am

Was wondering how you were going to incorporate the 25% TP reduction for June 2022 end
Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
"Access to the Concorde Room, for you and a guest

Speaking of benefits, we’ve also made an exciting improvement to your membership. When flying from London Heathrow or New York JFK, your Gold Guest List status will automatically grant you access to the Concorde Room – our most exclusive lounge. This means that you’ll no longer need to earn 5,000 Tier Points to qualify for access and we’ll no longer issue Concorde Room Cards to Members. Your Gold Guest List status is the only key you’ll need."

I wonder whether this is BA recognising that most CCR holders qualify via business travel which not be back to pre covid levels for at least another couple of years or more likely more. Concorde lounges will be empty otherwise.

Even with the US opening up, I can't see my company doing even ½ as much travel for some time.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by 2358
"Access to the Concorde Room, for you and a guest

Speaking of benefits, we’ve also made an exciting improvement to your membership. When flying from London Heathrow or New York JFK, your Gold Guest List status will automatically grant you access to the Concorde Room – our most exclusive lounge. This means that you’ll no longer need to earn 5,000 Tier Points to qualify for access and we’ll no longer issue Concorde Room Cards to Members. Your Gold Guest List status is the only key you’ll need."

I wonder whether this is BA recognising that most CCR holders qualify via business travel which not be back to pre covid levels for at least another couple of years or more likely more. Concorde lounges will be empty otherwise.

Even with the US opening up, I can't see my company doing even ½ as much travel for some time.
I expect it's the combination of a few different factors:
i) BA has many less F seats now than it did 18 months ago
ii) BA is operating many less flights, and particularly long-haul flights, than it did 18 months ago. And this is likely to remain the case for at least the next year or two.
iii) BA's GGL members are going to continue to fly less than they did 18 months ago, due to many (most?) travelling for work, and with business travel likely to remain suppressed in the short-mid term. Hence, there won't suddenly be a deluge of GGLers hitting the CCR day-in, day-out.
iv) BA need as much good will from their top tier members as they can muster.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:23 pm

Not that I'm directly affected but I wonder how likely is it that BA would give a six month status extension to those in the April to June renewal range given that all the other months have had a 24 month extension as compared to the 12 month extension for that category?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:24 pm

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Can I politely and respectfully ask those who are feeling aggrieved at having missed out on an extension this time trawl back six months, and then a further six months.

The outpourings of angst have been heard before, several times!

If you are not included in this extension, then it means you still have over six months at your current status... irrespective as to whether you can use it. I'm sure that, in due course, there will be a further announcement.

August2022, and Zero TPs ;-)
Old Sep 20, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Another year of Gold, on us

Happy to get this earlier today. My first BA flights since March 2020. Dub-Lhr-DXB, back tomorrow night.
Is this just because I've flown again?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 1:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
More likely to be this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33581877-post3668.html

The latest status extension from BA for those within a specific set of end dates. Full details here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...21-update.html
Old Sep 20, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
It's for all those with a collection expiry date before the end of March 2022. I've had a few flights and was scrabbling around to get the remainder needed to re-qualify gold as my collection year ends on 8 Jan so this was a relief to receive.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum

Fairly clear to see which group have missed out here.

I suspect come December, the final group will be extended by 12 months and that will be that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.