Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2022, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zen100
At least they said which January it is (2023)

As this is a one-off update, one would suspect the IT folks will run a report when back from New Year holiday to work out who hit the reduced targets, then feed this into a batch process to update the status.

Surely they will want it to be done-and-dusted before 8th Jan 2023, otherwise things get more complicated for the Jan resets.
When you log in to check whether your renewal date has been extended, you will receive one of these two responses:

You are logged in with a different account, please log out and log in again

or

You are using multiple browser pages to view this site, please log out and reinstall your operating system.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My TP year end was October 8th 2022, my gold card expiry date is November 30th 2022.

During that time, I've earned 1040 TPs, with another 160 due this weekend. That gets me to 1200 and requalification to gold, at the lower 1125 TPs needed, until November 30th 2024.

However, will I drop to Silver on December 1st, as I don't have 1500 TPs, and have to wait for "the process" to be initiated early January to get me back to Gold with reduced earning requirement?

Or, is it sophisticated enough to realise I have met the reduced requirements already and be updated on November 30th/December 1st this year?
Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:39 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by stephenjc
My TP year end was October 8th 2022, my gold card expiry date is November 30th 2022.

During that time, I've earned 1040 TPs, with another 160 due this weekend. That gets me to 1200 and requalification to gold, at the lower 1125 TPs needed, until November 30th 2024.

However, will I drop to Silver on December 1st, as I don't have 1500 TPs, and have to wait for "the process" to be initiated early January to get me back to Gold with reduced earning requirement?

Or, is it sophisticated enough to realise I have met the reduced requirements already and be updated on November 30th/December 1st this year?
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unless I have misunderstood your post, I don't think you have met the renewal requirements.

The relevance of Dec 31st is that is when the reduced thresholds are removed, it is still necessary to reach those reduced thresholds within each TP collection year as well as prior to that date.

That is, you needed to collect 1125 between 9th Oct 21 and 8th Oct 22. Based on your figure of 1040 you did not meet this threshold, and therefore will soft land to Silver on Dec 1st.

You could still take advantage of the reduced thresholds in your current collection year by earning 1125TP between 9th Oct 22 and 31st Dec 22, but that may be impractical. If you did so, I expect the system would return you to Gold once processed in January.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unless I have misunderstood your post, I don't think you have met the renewal requirements.

The relevance of Dec 31st is that is when the reduced thresholds are removed, it is still necessary to reach those reduced thresholds within each TP collection year as well as prior to that date.

That is, you needed to collect 1125 between 9th Oct 21 and 8th Oct 22. Based on your figure of 1040 you did not meet this threshold, and therefore will soft land to Silver on Dec 1st.

You could still take advantage of the reduced thresholds in your current collection year by earning 1125TP between 9th Oct 22 and 31st Dec 22, but that may be impractical. If you did so, I expect the system would return you to Gold once processed in January.
Yes, you have misunderstood unfortunately, apologies if I wasn't clear, I thought I had been.
I will have 1200 TPs (1040+160) all earned after October 8th 2022, I will have these by next week (already have 1040), so before November 30th and well before Dec. 31st. So I absolutely do meet the lowered qualifications criteria.
It's more will it kick in before my card expires on November 30th, or after January 1st.
i.e. do I drop to Silver for a month even though I've met the lowered requalification amount?
Requalification isn't the question here, I know I've met that.

Last edited by stephenjc; Nov 18, 2022 at 4:19 am
Old Nov 18, 2022, 4:18 am

Yes, you have misunderstood.
I will 1200 TPs all earned after October 8th 2022, I will have these by next week, so before November 30th and we'll before Dec. 31st. So I absolutely do meet the lowered qualifications criteria.
It's more will it kick in before my card expires on November 30th, or after January 1st.
Requalification isn't the question here, that is taken care of.
Apologies for the misunderstanding.

So now it gets interesting, what BA say is this (emphasis mine):

If your Tier Point Collection Year end date is in 2023 and you are eligible to upgrade your Tier status under the reduced Tier Point thresholds, your membership will automatically be upgraded once you have earnt the required number of Tier Points. There is no need to contact us to arrange this.

If your Tier Point Collection Year end date is in 2023 and you are eligible to renew your Tier status under the reduced Tier Point thresholds, your membership will be automatically renewed in January 2023. There is no need to contact us to arrange this.
So which category do you fall into? Your current expiry date suggests you did not reach 1125TP in the year to 8th Oct 22, so there is an argument you fall into the first category of upgrading, even if that is happening in the remainder period of your Gold membership. If the systems see it that way, then per the above you should not have a gap in your Gold status.

However, this is BA IT, so there's got to be a fair chance that it will look at your current status "on the day", decide you are Gold, and therefore are renewing. In which case, I expect you may need to wait until January. Or at least be prepared to follow up to BAEC with a few emails - it would be unfortunate if you were disadvantaged because you earned the points effectively too quickly, i.e. if you did drop to silver then pass the 1125 threshold in early December, the upgrade would happen then according to BA.

Apologies, I do not know which way the system will treat it, hopefully someone else has been in this situation and can advise on their outcome.
stephenjc likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 4:27 am

Thanks!

I agree, I let my gold lapse in the knowledge I would earn enough between my TP year end and my card expiring 7 weeks later.

So, technically I would fall into the upgrade pot.

It'll be interesting to see what happens on December 1st.

I don't mind dropping to silver for a month, as I don't have any flights planned. I'm more worried that I drop to OWS, and there are system issues when I'm upgraded back to OWE.

​​​​​​​Maybe I'm just overthinking this, I guess what will be will be.
LCSinTexas and BertieBadger like this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:26 am

Conflicting Information from BAEC Customer line

Maybe somebody can help me. I think I have received wrong information from the BAEC phone people.

My collection year is April-April. I am a Silver member and between 8 April 2022 and now I have earned 530 Tier Points. My collection year ends on 8 April 2023.

From what I understand, the 530 TPs earned between 8/4/22 and now (18 November 2022) would enable me to renew my Silver status for the upcoming year 8 April 2023-8 April 2024.

The people on the phone have told me that I do still need to earn 70 TPs to renew my Silver status, though. I spoke with two different people, and both said I need 600 TPs in total.

The second was rather rude: I read from my BAEC webpage the message that (I think) says I only need 450 TPs, and he gave me the silent treatment and said, “You need 600 points, that’s the way it is.”

Can anybody here tell me whether they are correct and I am missing something? How many points do I need to retain Silver? Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by nickal320
From what I understand, the 530 TPs earned between 8/4/22 and now (18 November 2022) would enable me to renew my Silver status for the upcoming year 8 April 2023-8 April 2024.
Your understanding is correct, you can verify this via BAs own page on the subject:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...efits#vouchers

You have retained your Silver status, and the processing of that will occur in January 2023.

Unfortunately, phone agents are necessarily generalists and do not know every nuance of BAEC.
nickal320 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Your understanding is correct, you can verify this via BAs own page on the subject:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...efits#vouchers

You have retained your Silver status, and the processing of that will occur in January 2023.

Unfortunately, phone agents are necessarily generalists and do not know every nuance of BAEC.
Thank you for confirming. I’ll wait for the update in Jan 2023, as I had originally planned.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 1:04 am

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci

Have you also flown the 4x BA flights required?
If yes and all have posted, check your card expiry date again and see what it now shows.
stephenjc likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 000
If yes and all have posted, check your card expiry date again and see what it now shows.
I had a similar problem where my earning year ended before all my flights had posted, and I wasn't granted my new higher status. Didn't take much sorting out, but it didn't happen automatically.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by 000
Yes, flown well over 4.
Flying 4 more over the next two days, these 160 TPs will put me to 1200, so hopefully, I'll see an expiry change once they post on Wed/Thu.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 8:48 am

I will (should) re-qualify with my last flight of the year on 30th Dec. Just hope there's no IT goof up, weather cancellations, LHR passenger caps etc to prevent.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Yeoman5
I will (should) re-qualify with my last flight of the year on 30th Dec. Just hope there's no IT goof up, weather cancellations, LHR passenger caps etc to prevent.
Fingers crossed for you but that's leaving it a bit tight imho given the weather in december can be unpredictable, my last tp earning flight is on 8th December leaving me the rest of the month to argue about any missing tps. I also plan to be 35 tps over what I need for requalification just in case of a snarl-up.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 9:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Currently gold with a renewal date of March 2023.
I have done my 4 BA flights and have 1,330TP (since September). This would qualify for the 1,125 reduced threshold before Dec 31st 2022?

I have seen two statements:
  1. When the reduced gold TP threshold is met the status will be extended with another year (and reflected soon after reaching the threshold)
  2. When the reduced gold TP threshold is met before Dec 31st the new status will be updated in January 2023
1 has not happened, so I guess I see my status (renewed until March 2024) updated in January?

Globalist

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.