Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2021, 9:59 am

Back in 2020 I enrolled in a covid vaccine trial (Novavax), now over a year since I had the first jab.

But the vaccine isn't currently approved anywhere, and still hasn't even been submitted for approval in EU, US etc., it's highly effective, but they have to get the bulk manufacturing process good enough for approval, which is where the delay is. Approval submissions have slipped from Q2 to Q4/into 2022.

Today the UK treats me as vaccinated, but hardly anywhere else does. The government has finally said volunteers can get an approved vaccine, but that's still another ten weeks before I'd be accepted as vaccinated elsewhere.

In spite of BA cancelling multiple flights, I managed a couple of holiday trips (had to pay for extra tests to enter Spain), so I've got 320 tier points this year.

But for the remainder of 2021 this makes travel impractical for the business/short breaks I'd normally be doing, I'm faced with either 'no entry', or quarantine (in some cases I could travel with additional testing, but not always).

I'm Gold with an early April year end. If there isn't a further general extension, I'm wondering if there's any chance BA would grant a one-off extension/renewal on the basis I was unable to travel due to 'taking one for the team'.

Can anyone say if this is something BA is likely to consider?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:34 pm

This is all very confusing, BA Silver original expiry date 08th November 2020, expiry date now shows 08th November 2021, I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) the new expiry date will be changed to 08th November 2022?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by sheep fancier
This is all very confusing, BA Silver original expiry date 08th November 2020, expiry date now shows 08th November 2021, I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) the new expiry date will be changed to 08th November 2022?
The 8th is the end of your collection year, not your expiry date. If you look at your account, you should see your status expires on 31st Dec 2022.

​​​​​(i.e. you've already received 1yr protection of status)
sheep fancier likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
The 8th is the end of your collection year, not your expiry date. If you look at your account, you should see your status expires on 31st Dec 2022.

​​​​​(i.e. you've already received 1yr protection of status)
Ok, says - "Card expiry date:31 Dec 2022" this is my Silver expiry date I assume?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by sheep fancier
Ok, says - "Card expiry date:31 Dec 2022" this is my Silver expiry date I assume?
Yes, that's correct you will retain Silver until at least then, regardless of what you earn.

If you retain Silver (or step up) in the forthcoming collection year which runs 9th Nov 21 to 8th Nov 22, then that expiry date will move out to 31st Dec 2023

If you don't earn enough TP, you will "soft land" to Bronze (even if you didn't make the targets for Bronze)
sheep fancier likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 4:33 pm

After reading the last 10 pages of this thread, I'm still confused about the tier points needed to retain Silver. This is how I understand it.

Per my account page, my collection year ends 8-Dec-2021. Card expiry is 31-Jan-2023. Number of tier points needed for silver is 450. So far so good.

No flights scheduled for remainder of 2021. Starting with the new collection year in 2022, there are 2 scenarios.
1-600 TP's for year 2022.
2-450 TP's for 2022 if done by 30-Jun-2022 otherwise 600 TP's.

BA has not clarified which scenario is the correct one and no consensus among those here, though there are strong opinions for both. I assume that I should plan on earning 600 TP's right?

Side issue: I had 1 avios deposited in my account 25-Aug-2021. Entry listed as 'Reward Flight Saver Activation'. I assume that is BA's way of extending my account activity to avoid forfeiture, right?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hopefully we will find out soon when someone passes the reduced but not full targets, I know SonicStar817 has indicated they expect to do so this month.
Originally Posted by SonicStar817
I'm 80 TPs away at the moment. Hopefully by the 25th I should have an answer to the question. Guess I should start planning a trip on one of those A380 flights to Madrid for next month in the meantime.
Well we have an answer finally. A lot later than expected as my Tier points didn't post automatically for some reason and as result had to call them up to claim the flight. Anyways, I'm on 460 TPs now and there's no change on the expiry date. Still showing 31st August 2022.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 4:20 am

Well we have an answer finally. A lot later than expected as my Tier points didn't post automatically for some reason and as result had to call them up to claim the flight. Anyways, I'm on 460 TPs now and there's no change on the expiry date. Still showing 31st August 2022.
Except on a renewal the expiry date doesn't change until the collection year ends. So even at 600 points it will stay the same until your year ends and only be updated then.

Does your app and/or website say you have retained Silver?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Except on a renewal the expiry date doesn't change until the collection year ends. So even at 600 points it will stay the same until your year ends and only be updated then.

Does your app and/or website say you have retained Silver?
Yes, I had expected that would be the case. My app currently shows "Progress to Gold" and the remaining amount as 665 TPs which adds up to the 1125 threshold. Not sure if that was due to the Tier points being manually added or not.
BertieBadger and zen100 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 4:41 am

Yes, I had expected that would be the case. My app currently shows "Progress to Gold" and the remaining amount as 665 TPs which adds up to the 1125 threshold.
Which would suggest that the system has marked you as having retained Silver, at the lower TP value. Consistent with the experiences of skiaplg back at post 3773.

Now CS have told people who have inquired that they would need 600 in your position, so either they are wrong or the app & website are wrong. I can't see how BA could possibly row back on what they are telling you in the app and insist you need 600?
zen100 and SonicStar817 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:39 am

I can't see how BA could possibly row back on what they are telling you in the app and insist you need 600?
I think that's called a hostage to fortune. Hopefully you're correct.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have a collection point end date of Jan 8 2022, I have just reached Gold, and my new card ( in the app and website) both give an expiry of Feb 29 2024. So a totally unexpected bonus extra year of Gold. Somehow I managed to miss the announcement of the extended extension so this did come as genuine surprise.
JessicaTam likes this.

Last edited by endoman; Nov 6, 2021 at 10:18 am
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:30 am

GGL August renewal

I'm not sure if this helps or not but I've just spoken to the GGL helpline. I'm an August 8th renewal and asked whether my renewal target would reflect the 25% reduction or not.

After ten minutes on hold whilst they consulted the back office, I was told that the 25% reduction ends for everyone on 30th June so to renew GGL at the reduced level I would need to hit 2,250 tier points by 30th June or 3,000 tier points by 7th August.

I politely fed back that I've already lost 25% of my transatlantic year so it feels a little unfair to have the reduced target not available for the remainder of my membership year!

Anyway, let's hope a few competing airlines start a round of status matching in June to focus the BA minds!

nibbs
stewaran likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I think it is a case of you win some you lose some. My year is April 8th. My wife is March. She got another year extension when it was announced and I didn't. She has done 4 flights this year I have started semi regular Euro trips and may struggle to retain gold.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
just checking thinking on this, last status extension for Jan - March was announced 21st September and we were told it's reviewed every 3 months.

So if they renew April - June (the 3 months that so far haven't had a 2nd extension - and yes, my window), we'd expect this to be announced just before Xmas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.