Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by labdoctor
"The 12-month status extension will be applied automatically to those memberships with Tier Point collection end dates of July 2020 – June 2021. There is no need to contact us to arrange this."

But almost everyone in the BAEC scheme has a Tier Point collection end date in that range. I dropped to Bronze this year and then achieved silver this year just before lockdown and my Silver membership expires 31 Dec 2021. I received the email so I sort of expect a year will be added.
The email has clearly caused confusion.it is the' everyone will benefit'.

Everyone does benefit so the email is correct. At a min 25% reduction. But it's taken by many FT posters and let alone by others who don't frequent FT, that it means a free additional year for everyone, no matter what.

The policy in itself address the current issues. Current issues. But BA really should have considered the email communication better.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is addressed in some manner in the weeks and months to come. And more changes may be come along.

And I'm a ba supporter for lots of different reasons.

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Jun 13, 2020 at 11:18 am
Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kyushuman
does this week's email mean that I again only need 450 TPs to retain Silver a second time and/or reach Gold with 1125 TPs, with a year end of June 08?
Yes, your new collection year should benefit from the lower threshold for the new tier year, ditto for upgrades, but for upgrades some of the flights need to be on BA or Iberia.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JohnIreland
Which year is the reduced points ?

The year ending during 2020 or starting 2020.
Your next tier year mainly. See post 796. But some benefited this tier year.
JohnIreland likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, your new collection year should benefit from the lower threshold for the new tier year, ditto for upgrades, but for upgrades some of the flights need to be on BA or Iberia.
Well then that is at least some consolation for this-- I will be able to qualify for two years with lower threshholds. Thank you for your clarifications! Can I hire you to work for BA IT? Or at least BA communications department?
Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Agent69
That's a bit like saying you were disadvantaged because when we both met a stranger in the street he gave me £100, but you only got £50
😀
The £50 wouldn’t worry me, but dropping from GGL/CCR to silver In 12 months time would be a big disappointment. I guess that would be a bit like flying First or CW for 5 years and then having to fly WT! One does become accustomed to the benefits! Fortunately I still have GfL.
As I said way upthread, there are winners and losers and I’m pleased for those who benefit, particularly Apr-June renewals or upgrades, who seem to have hit the sweet spot in all of this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:44 am

Yes they went from a 30% reduction to 25% and it would have been better to have stayed consistent. So yes, if you want an extended year at Bronze you better get the extra 5 TPs if you can. But if priority boarding was the only reason for doing this, note that has been scrubbed, it's now back to front boarding (and very civilised it is too). I hope they keep it that way, but it is presumably a temporary change.
Thank you. Ah - you win some you lose some.

I guess at a minimum I get a year 'extension' at Blue status and can still take advantage of the reduced thresholds next year between Sept 2020 -> Sept 2021 for Status to October 2022.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I find this

Originally Posted by ManchesterBAFlyer
Person A qualified for/retained Gold when their tier year ended on 8 June 2020:
  • Their current status year is until 8 June 2021, so their Gold will be renewed until 8 June 2022 (expiring end July 2022), regardless of whether they earn enough tier points in their 2020-2021 tier year.
and this...

So in essence
- not everyone benefits from an extension, for example you've already earned enough to qualify or have upgraded your status
...contradicting. First says that if you qualified for Gold given the timelines explained for Person A (who happens to be my case) you will still see an extension until 2022. Second says that if you've already earned enough to qualify then you will not get an extension.
saint_em likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I'm reading it all as and assuming the logical reading; take out the physical card you have, look at the 'expires end' date, and add a year to it.

If it's anything else they should pivot towards this reading anyway given this is what they announced (even if they did intend something else)
testycal likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by KARFA
why were you moved to gold and back down within an hour?
I have no idea - flaky BA IT I suspect but I checked both on my laptop and the app and it stated Gold achieved at 1749 GMT and by 1900 it was back down to Silver. I assume it was because at that particular point I had 1060 TP's.

Last edited by Brighterside; Jun 13, 2020 at 1:03 pm
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
That's a bit like saying you were disadvantaged because when we both met a stranger in the street he gave me £100, but you only got £50
Not in all cases - in my case, the stranger who is giving you £100 is taking 50 from me (ie the 25% off for my next year after my July qualification which I had already achieved anyway does not even cover the TPs I've lost through my July itineraries that BA has already cancelled, and I am even losing some GUFs in the process!)
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
does anyone know if new members are able to benefit from the lowered thresholds? considering between BA and AA right now..
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by jotaele
...contradicting. First says that if you qualified for Gold given the timelines explained for Person A (who happens to be my case) you will still see an extension until 2022. Second says that if you've already earned enough to qualify then you will not get an extension.
OK, I can see what you mean, but it isn't really a contradiction. My round-up at the end was a general summary, that not all people in all circumstances get an extension, for various reasons. Some people do benefit, and yes, that includes you because of the timings of your circumstances. So I will add "depending on timings" to post 796 to clarify. So you are Gold now anyway until June 2021, any TPs you earn don't do much good, since you get an automatic extension to cover you until the end of 2022. Had you been a July or August renewal you may be a bit more grumpy about the arrangement.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by DreamHigh
does anyone know if new members are able to benefit from the lowered thresholds? considering between BA and AA right now..
Aha, a brand new and very relevant question, and I for one don't know the answer for certain. But if you joined right now, you would get Blue status after the first flight had credited and my thinking is that at least for a few months you could get Bronze (etc) at the lower thresholds. But I don't actually know this for a fact. BA ought to do so, if they are drumming up business. Maybe one of the Twitter FTers can check? [It's possible that they won't know yet].
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Not in all cases - in my case, the stranger who is giving you £100 is taking 50 from me (ie the 25% off for my next year after my July qualification which I had already achieved anyway does not even cover the TPs I've lost through my July itineraries that BA has already cancelled, and I am even losing some GUFs in the process!)
You make it sound like Covid-19 is BA's fault
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL
You make it sound like Covid-19 is BA's fault
I guess on the grand scheme of things we should be happy there is an airline left when the dust settles
Modo and T8191 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.