Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
This extension malarkey is a bit like getting married. You’re happy with what you got, until you see what your friend got, and then you wished you’d got that instead 😀
Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Originally Posted by Mike P
If your card expiry date is already December 31st 2021 then you are out of scope and don't qualify for an extension:

The 12-month status extension will be applied automatically in the next two weeks* to those memberships with Tier Point collection end dates of July 2020 – June 2021.
This is represented by your card expiry date which can be viewed on the My Executive Club page on
ba.com or the mobile app. This is shown underneath the “View more account information” drop down on ba.com, or at the bottom of the 'My account' page on the mobile app.
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
I'm more confused than ever. I emailed Exec Club regarding my situation. They replied today, not once but twice. Below are the key parts of the responses.

First response :

"The current flexibility is certainly confusing. It's taking us all a little bit of time to understand these changes ourselves. The flexibility allows you to retain your current status for your next membership year. Therefore your card is valid until August 2021. To retain your status for the year after, you will need to earn the reduced number of Tier Points (1125) by 08th July 2021."

I didn't reply, but then 40 mins later.....

Second response :

Please ignore my previous email!

" You will retain Gold status until 31st August 2022. This is because you have upgraded part way through your membership year. Therefore you will still benefit from the year extension. This should update on your account over the next few weeks."

The second response seems to agree with something I just read up thread.

I hope the second response is correct 🤔
This is why we should all be angry. There is no circumstance I can imagine that would allow a company like BA to allow anything but a finely honed, consistent, logical, leave no threads hanging announcement rather than what has been distributed. We should be expecting much more than this. I do not have my knickers in a knot at the moment but I am astounded how much wasted energy is spent on this when we should have a cogent and clear explanation of what these "benefits" are.

First response :

"The current flexibility is certainly confusing. It's taking us all a little bit of time to understand these changes ourselves. The flexibility allows you to retain your current status for your next membership year. Therefore your card is valid until August 2021. To retain your status for the year after, you will need to earn the reduced number of Tier Points (1125) by 08th July 2021."
Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I can't get that quote to align with 796. I also doubt that they have cancelled the usual zero-ing on 8 August 2020, but that will be your first indicator as to the precise mechanics here, because if is cancelled you would indeed end up on 7 August 2021 with a load of TPs in your account and thus Gold until the end of September 2022.

The first indicator we would have that this is correct is if someone with a 8 July 2020 date checks on say 10 July 2020 and sees their previous TP balance not zero'd.
Which is why I was dubious of my response. I'd love to believe BA's response but I'm dubious as to what will happen. I guess I'll just have to wait until somebody with a July renewal dates checks their TP's on the 10th July.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
for what its worth - i have a written statement. thats all i wanted.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: GGL
This thread is not going anywhere for now.

There are a few facts officially communicated by BA, but it is not clear how these apply to the many scenarios members exist in. Then there is some clarifying information provided by BA staff to exec club members, bloggers et. al and reported here, but all of this is of unknown veracity.

In a week or two the update will have been applied providing some further information, and shortly after that some members will start their new year on July 9th which will provide some more.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
I suspect that come the 8th of July we will see more meat on the bones, as this will be the first tranche of renewal dates.

H
T8191, Tobias-UK and Nephoi like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Oh good. Even more confusion from BA over what should have been something relatively straightforward. Just a couple of days ago I read that email and assumed my current Silver card expiry date of Oct '21 would get 12 months added. How silly of me.
testycal likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by testycal
This is why we should all be angry. There is no circumstance I can imagine that would allow a company like BA to allow anything but a finely honed, consistent, logical, leave no threads hanging announcement rather than what has been distributed. We should be expecting much more than this. I do not have my knickers in a knot at the moment but I am astounded how much wasted energy is spent on this when we should have a cogent and clear explanation of what these "benefits" are.

First response :

I certainly don't think anyone has a reason to be 'angry'. Yes, the communication from BA is not as clear as I'd have liked but there is plenty of time for more clarity to emerge without anyone being disadvantaged. At the end of the day, we are talking about extensions to membership of a frequent flyer scheme at a time when hardly anyone is able to fly. Perhaps some perspective is needed here?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: Deliveroo Plus
Glad to say my partner card nominee who's year ends 8 July just got an extension.
I wonder if this new gold would allow a soft landing in a years time.
Keystone likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:44 am

I'm a bit confused by the new requirement. I just got an email indicating that my silver membership will be extended for 12 months. However I currently have 1160 tier points, and I thought that would make me qualify for the gold tier. Does that mean within my current membership year I won't need to take 4 more BA flights?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:02 am
DSA

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador
As a current Blue member, if I wish to aim for Gold status with the 25% reduced tier point requirement, could someone please confirm if 1125 TPs need to be reached by the current TP year end (i.e. mid 2021, less than a year from now), or if they could be achieved in the 2021-2022 TP year instead? (note that in my case that would end before 8th July 2022). Understandably a lot of the examples discussed in this thread don't appear to cover Blue members but BA are clear that all members will benefit from this policy. BA's website appears to state that reduced TP thresholds only apply to your next renewal, which for extended members would be 2021-2022, but for Blue (non-extended) members would be 2020-2021, but I've seen conflicting information elsewhere (not on the BA website) which states that "the new reduced tier point thresholds will apply to all membership years which end up to 8th July 2022", so I'm a little confused!
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DSA
As a current Blue member, if I wish to aim for Gold status with the 25% reduced tier point requirement, could someone please confirm if 1125 TPs need to be reached by the current TP year end (i.e. mid 2021, less than a year from now), or if they could be achieved in the 2021-2022 TP year instead? (note that in my case that would end before 8th July 2022).
The BA.com guidelines do refer to members upgrading their status, and I don't think they meant in the distant future. So I think you can go from Blue to Gold on the lower threshold but with 4 eligible flights from 9 July 2020 onwards. If you wanted to be cautious about it, you could wait until you 9 July and see if the App tracker gives you the lower level for Bronze, since I can't see how they would then set Gold at 1500 TP.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by markmk
I'm a bit confused by the new requirement. I just got an email indicating that my silver membership will be extended for 12 months. However I currently have 1160 tier points, and I thought that would make me qualify for the gold tier. Does that mean within my current membership year I won't need to take 4 more BA flights?
Well a lot of people got the emaiil, including those who have lifetime status, where adding an extra year would appear to suggest BAEC's remit stretches into the afterlife. However there is a note in the guidance that upgrades require the eligible flights requirement to be met, so 4 BA+ or IB flights for Gold.
Dan72 and dylanks like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well a lot of people got the emaiil, including those who have lifetime status, where adding an extra year would appear to suggest BAEC's remit stretches into the afterlife. However there is a note in the guidance that upgrades require the eligible flights requirement to be met, so 4 BA+ or IB flights for Gold.
I have already taken 4 BA flights for this membership year. So will be qualified again for another upgrade to gold? I got upgraded once earlier this year to silver. My question is whether I need to take 4 more flights to be able to upgrade to gold.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by markmk
I have already taken 4 BA flights for this membership year. So will be qualified again for another upgrade to gold? I got upgraded once earlier this year to silver. My question is whether I need to take 4 more flights to be able to upgrade to gold.
No, it's 4 total, so you're OK there. Unless this was credited in the last day or two I would have expected the App to have shown your Gold status. It's possible you've fallen down a short gap between the 30% reduction for April-June and the 25% reduction from July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.