Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Originally Posted by Speedbird Julie
I think I may indulge in a small libation today.
Do you have a stash of Castlenau to recreate the full celebratory BA experience?
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Speedbird Julie
I think I may indulge in a small libation today.
I wasn't aware you needed an excuse before

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
Originally Posted by GVA
Well personally I was wondering more if it means we have 2 years to attain the number of TPs or only one ?
I was just about to ask same question
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by GVA
Well personally I was wondering more if it means we have 2 years to attain the number of TPs or only one ?

It will pretty much directly impact how much flying I give to BA (or not). Otherwise the prospect of burning miles across all my FF accounts is also very appealing.
it doesn't extend your collection year end date. It just gives you an extra year at that status should you not do enough flying to keep that status at year end.

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I'm beginning to think that I've managed to get Silver for life! Last time I earned any significant TPs in a year was 2014.

But with soft landings, various ex gratia stuff like this and the 2015 IT meltdown extension, plus at least one year where I was extended for no apparent reason at all, here I am, 6 years on, still silver, good for another 17 months...

Happy days.

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
You can presumably go up, ie collect enough points to get GGL. But to the extent you continue to earn points in the range between Gold and GGL between now and May 21, yes, they effectively go to waste (other than counting for Lifetime and the Avios you collect).
Whereas every TP I earn from July 8th onwards this year will be needed in order for me to extend to 2022.

There are always winners and losers in these situations but the July cohort are stuffed by this (esp if GGL without GFL)

Example with no further earning:

A July GGL with 3000 current TPs will be GGL to August 2021 and Silver afterwards.
A June Gold with 1050 current TPs will be Gold to July 2022

Really doesn't seem quite right. The member who has earned nearly 3x the TPs in the last year ends up worse off for 2021-2022.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by richardwft
So does everything change from July 2021?
My crystal ball has been proven rather wrong this last year, maybe others are still working ok

Considering this is the 2nd position BA have taken I think we'll only know nearer the time.

Using my somewhat unreliable crystal ball once more, I think there is a very real possibility of travel being affected once again later this year/early next, so taking a position now that takes through to June 21 makes sense to me rather than one valid for say 3-6 months.

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
A colleagues membership year ended this week, on 1040 points. He's spoken to BA yesterday, and they aren't going to renew Gold for him. I guess he would have been fine if his year ended next month? Not an ideal situation.

No no no no no no no no!!!! I can see why everyone else is delighted... but as someone with a June end-date who didn’t requalify for Silver, it means I get an extension... of Rust. Why couldn’t they just give everyone 12 months full stop?! That’s just mean.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:55 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by GVA

It will pretty much directly impact how much flying I give to BA (or not). Otherwise the prospect of burning miles across all my FF accounts is also very appealing.
Have the same question. Is anyone able to explain based on the wording if the 25% TP reduction applies:
  • To the current membership year?
  • To the following 12 month period / next membership year?
  • To both of those periods separately?
  • To a new combined TP earning period made up of this membership year plus the following 12 month period?
jjLDNY likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
This is good news. So, as a February year-ender, my GGL status now runs until Feb 2022.

One thing I am unclear about: will my TPs still reset in Feb 2021? Which would mean I have 12 months to earn 2250 for renewal, not 20 months from now onwards? The former makes more sense but obviously disincentives flying for TP-chasers over the next few months (i.e. until their next earning year begins).
oxtailsoup likes this.
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Confus
No no no no no no no no!!!! I can see why everyone else is delighted... but as someone with a June end-date who didn’t requalify for Silver, it means I get an extension... of Rust. Why couldn’t they just give everyone 12 months full stop?! That’s just mean.
you got a 30% reduction already for renewal, and you could have shown achieving that with any cancelled bookings. are you saying with flights you took and all cancelled trips you didn't manage 420?
gliderpilot and jjLDNY like this.

Originally Posted by Jon Bushby
It's a great gesture and will really benefit occasional flyers with status.
I’m not sure I follow?

They are extending status that was already earned, so people are retaining the same level of status that they earned previously (whether you view that being gained by occasional, frequent or whatever frequency of flying).

In terms of the 25% reduction in points threshold, I haven’t spoken to any frequent traveller who anticipates fully returning to their pre-Covid schedule any time soon. I realise there are quite a few posters on here who still think normality will return soon, but I’m not one of them. If we assume flyers will fly at a rate of 50% of previous year (very optimistic in my view), then the 25% reduction will still result in less stays being granted than in previous years.

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Whereas every TP I earn from July 8th onwards this year will be needed in order for me to extend to 2022.

There are always winners and losers in these situations but the July cohort are stuffed by this (esp if GGL without GFL)

Example with no further earning:

A July GGL with 3000 current TPs will be GGL to August 2021 and Silver afterwards.
A June Gold with 1050 current TPs will be Gold to July 2022

Really doesn't seem quite right. The member who has earned nearly 3x the TPs in the last year ends up worse off for 2021-2022.
Alas I do think the July's well be less to benefit. Tho there is the reduced TP for the following year.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by A13
Yep, just got the email. Silver to Nov 2022. Thanks BA.
(not reflected on my account yet, but i'll give them a chance..!)
How do you work this out? The latest this applies to is renewers in June 2021, which would take your status through to August 2022.
How have you been renewed to November 2022 (or are you currently Gold with a worst case drop to Silver until Nov 2022?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.