Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
If they went the Hilton route, BA would then start taking away things like Hilton did, by replacing the free breakfast with a voucher, e.g BA would need to remove lounge access for Silvers but give you £10 to spend on food in T5.... Put simply if everybody has status, then well nobody has status.

Note I managed to get gold for the first (and probably last) time in 2020, i didnt expect this to last until 2023. As a August TP year end I would love an extension (please BA Magic 8-ball say "It is decidedly so"). I'm certainly not feeling entitled to an extension just because somebody got one etc, I'm only concerned on how i can play the hand I've been dealt.

Anyway T-minus 2 months and all the july/aug/sept TP year ends will be madly posting asking if there is an extension coming... relax till then.
Yeah indeed; I think it's likely still but not a lot I can do about it if it isn't. Plenty of impediments to travel still around, be they legal (borders/entry requirements), corporate (no/discouraged travel policies) or health/personal (people with underlying health issues or potentially vulnerable relatives etc) : even if the border issues disappear by Easter, corporate policies will lag behind leaving very little real opportunity to the july/august/septembers.

I know not all others look at it the same way as me, but effectively the BAEC is there to influence our flight bookings and bring business to BA - and I don't see downgrading people as the world opens back up being a winning marketing move here.
docsxx likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
If they went the Hilton route, BA would then start taking away things like Hilton did, by replacing the free breakfast with a voucher, e.g BA would need to remove lounge access for Silvers but give you £10 to spend on food in T5.... Put simply if everybody has status, then well nobody has status.

Note I managed to get gold for the first (and probably last) time in 2020, i didnt expect this to last until 2023. As a August TP year end I would love an extension (please BA Magic 8-ball say "It is decidedly so"). I'm certainly not feeling entitled to an extension just because somebody got one etc, I'm only concerned on how i can play the hand I've been dealt.

Anyway T-minus 2 months and all the july/aug/sept TP year ends will be madly posting asking if there is an extension coming... relax till then.
Flying Blue does rollover excess XPs (their name for TPs) to the next qualifying year.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by golfmad
On the plus side, you have an additional 1,150 sitting in your lifetime pot.
Assuming lifetime status continues, or actually means anything future.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Is GGL renewal still 2,250 before Dec 31?
Old Feb 1, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Yes, reduction till dec 31 if you renew before then
Dicksbits likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
I'm an August year end, sitting on 40 points. My drop from GGL to Silver is staring me in the face....

Scuppered due to USA taking so long to open, and India still not open
stewaran likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
I'm somewhat out of touch with recent developments, so corrections welcome.

The short answer is that you don't benefit from the extension. Despite what their communications may say, BA have always taken the stance that the "extensions" are only intended for those who were unable to (re)qualify under their own steam. Indeed, there was a subtle change in the language starting with the second tranche of extensions where they talked about "protecting" status rather than extending it.

When the scheme was first launched in summer 2020, there was a discrepancy whereby some members got the benefit of the extension and got an extra year, despite not needing it by BA's own reckoning since they had already reached the qualification target. It arose from the differences in the way BAEC processed members stepping up a tier and those retaining their current tier. BA refused to address or (in my experience) even discuss this unequal treatment. I don't know if their systems have been updated to prevent this re-occurring.

You should have status until 31 July 2023, as BA say. They will simply claim that the extension doesn't apply to you as you don't need it, by their reckoning. I don't think you have much chance of getting 2024 out of them.

Arhhhhh.. So to be clear, where i've been waiting patiently for my June 2022 Silver expiry to be extended to June 2023, they won't actually extend it until i fail to reach it myself?

ie, if i only collect a few tier points this year they'll just automatically extend my Silver status?

Thanks
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BusinessOnly
So to be clear, where i've been waiting patiently for my June 2022 Silver expiry to be extended to June 2023, they won't actually extend it until i fail to reach it myself?

ie, if i only collect a few tier points this year they'll just automatically extend my Silver status?
Yes to the second question, but AIUI this should already have happened. If your membership year end is 8 June 2022, then your card expiry date should have already changed to 31 July 2023.

It's the latter (July) date that you want to check.

8 June 2022 will remain 8 June 2022 until that date has passed.
alex67500 and BertieBadger like this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Just to reinforce what globiliser has said

I am not sure if you are a May tier point end June card expiry or June tier point end July card expiry

either way though your tier point collection will remain as is, you have until that date to upgrade to gold within the current collection year. You will continue to accrue TP for any flying you do till that day
your TP will reset to 0 the collection year end date and you will begin the "upgrade to gold" journey again.

However for April, May and June TP end dates your status should have already been extended into 2023 and your card end date should already reflect that with the date in June/July 2023 depending when your TP year end is. You would have received an email on or around Dec 20th/21st describing this.
BertieBadger likes this.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Feb 1, 2022 at 10:01 am
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
As a data point, and I'm sure I'm not alone, I'm an 8 May y/e and my account still has 30 June 2022 as expiry for my Silver status - not the 'expected' 30 June 2023.

[[Personally I'm not fussed because I will hit the threshold for Silver when my latest BAH double points post, and I should get back to Gold with some upcoming flights in February.]]
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Can't add much to the helpful responses from Globaliser and scottishpoet.

I think I've read a few instances of people not having their expiry date updated to 2023 when it should be (i.e. they end their year on 8th of Apr/May/Jun 2022, so are the beneficiaries of the latest round of protection).

(And in fact, while composing this a very helpful contribution describing just that situation from SavvyTravel)

However, that protection is in place for members with those end dates so even if you earn 0 TP this collection year, your Silver status is good until 2023. If your card expiry isn't in 2023, you may want to contact them to have that corrected. Your year end (which is always an 8th) will still report 2022, until you start you next collection year.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
I'm an August year end, sitting on 40 points. My drop from GGL to Silver is staring me in the face....

Scuppered due to USA taking so long to open, and India still not open
Didn’t you get an extension into 2023?
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Didn’t you get an extension into 2023?
The extensions/protections currently only extend to users with collection years ending 8th June 2022.

The July (and later) members are back to needing to earn their status at this point, albeit it is a reduced target if you hit it before end of the year, which any July-Dec members would do since their year end itself is before the end of the year.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
If there is going to be any announcement about changes for people with July , August and September end dates it should come around March 20th/21st
Old Feb 1, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
As a data point, and I'm sure I'm not alone, I'm an 8 May y/e and my account still has 30 June 2022 as expiry for my Silver status - not the 'expected' 30 June 2023.

[[Personally I'm not fussed because I will hit the threshold for Silver when my latest BAH double points post, and I should get back to Gold with some upcoming flights in February.]]
You're not alone, I'm a May year end too and I called the Exec Club tonight to chase up my previous call from a few weeks ago....... We shall see.

Spike
SavvyTravel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.