Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2020, 4:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by louisjake1
can anyone tell me what my options are at the moment. i am due to fly to orlando on the 15/07/20 the flight has not been cancelled yet ba keep saying nothing has changed and they will be in touch if it does .so what are my options can i move my flight dates or go for a voucher i know i cant get a refund until ba cancel my flight .its a flight only booking which i made last august .thanks.
if your flight doesn't get cancelled in the end and you don't wish to travel you can go for the future travel voucher.
Old May 25, 2020, 4:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by offshore_bob
Hi all, used the search function in the thread to find same question as mine but couldn't find answers in reply.

I noticed the 3000 avios part payment has been taken from my account for a flight I took a voucher for. Have those point gone and the voucher is for the full cash price i would've paid if i didn't do an avios part-payment?
if you originally made a part pay with avios booking the comments from BA insiders on here has been the value of your FTV is the cash amount for the booking prior to the reduction with the avios - the avios are effectively converted back to the cash amount.
Old May 25, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Nephoi
it depends on where you booked. if booked with AA you totally can reroute via PHL (BA A359...).. maybe this is an option.
otherwise this would maximize TP. its also available in business. just took the wrong screenshot.
further questions, advices and much more in the dedicated TP run thread. you're welcome to join us here.

Thanks very much for this. I tried via PHL but it was showing the 747 which I’d rather avoid if at all possible. Will join you on the other thread, thanks very much.
Old May 25, 2020, 11:05 am

Has anyone tried this yet and has it worked?

I have a FTV which was originally an AMEX 2-for-1 companion voucher booking. The flight I want to use the FTV on is a high-demand route which often sells within minutes of going on sale, so I want to book it as early as possible to get the Business Class seats I want. Is it possible to book just the outbound and wait for the return to go on sale a couple of weeks later (in the same way you would when booking a companion ticket in the first place?)

Thanks
Old May 25, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Tomorrow marks 2 weeks since my £1400 AMEX 2-4-1 refund was 'allegedly' issued after a request made on 12 April - I say allegedly as although BA tell me its been processed, there is no sign of it and AMEX are adamant they have no record of it. (yes, before people ask, I have messaged BA Refund helper)

My options seem to be as follows - go into dispute with BA through AMEX or if needs be go to Small Claims Court - both currently live in my thinking given the appalling service I've had from BA thus far and my urgent need for the refund. Anyone have any experience of either option?
Old May 25, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Just got off the phone with a very nice lady agent with BA who seemed a bit confused concerning my request. Here's my situation:

* Using AA miles, I booked award travel last February to and from Europe involving several flights on BA this July including DFW - LHR on July 12, LHR - MUC on July 13, SZG - LGW on July 21 and LHR - AUS on July 22. BA service classes include DFW - LHR in CW (business), LHR - MUC in CE (business), SZG - LGW in CE (business) and LHR - AUS in CW (business).

* I then used a combination of Avios and money to select seats on all of the above BA operated flights via the BA website.

* Very unfortunately, we've now had to cancel this trip due the uncertainty concerning the on-going COVID-19 pandemic in Europe.

* I then called BA and was told I would not be refunded my Avios and money spent on my BA seat assignments unless these flights are cancelled. The flights in question include BA 192 DFW - LHR on July 12, BA 954 LHR - MUC on July 13, BA 2653 SZG - LGW on July 21 and BA 191 on July 22.

So in conclusion, it appears I will have to wait and see if BA cancels any of the above flights in order for my request for a refund of Avios and money to be processed, correct?

Many thanks in advance.
Old May 25, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
Just got off the phone with a very nice lady agent with BA who seemed a bit confused concerning my request. Here's my situation:

* Using AA miles, I booked award travel last February to and from Europe involving several flights on BA this July including DFW - LHR on July 12, LHR - MUC on July 13, SZG - LGW on July 21 and LHR - AUS on July 22. BA service classes include DFW - LHR in CW (business), LHR - MUC in CE (business), SZG - LGW in CE (business) and LHR - AUS in CW (business).

* I then used a combination of Avios and money to select seats on all of the above BA operated flights via the BA website.

* Very unfortunately, we've now had to cancel this trip due the uncertainty concerning the on-going COVID-19 pandemic in Europe.

* I then called BA and was told I would not be refunded my Avios and money spent on my BA seat assignments unless these flights are cancelled. The flights in question include BA 192 DFW - LHR on July 12, BA 954 LHR - MUC on July 13, BA 2653 SZG - LGW on July 21 and BA 191 on July 22.

So in conclusion, it appears I will have to wait and see if BA cancels any of the above flights in order for my request for a refund of Avios and money to be processed, correct?

Many thanks in advance.
Are you speaking for the seats, if so, to get your money back for seats your flights should be canceled itself, money and Avios spent on seat assignments are not refunded on voluntary refunds. This is clearly written on BA.com

• You will not receive a refund for paid seating if you cancel your flight, are involuntarily upgraded or do not meet the requirements to sit in the seat type you have selected.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-tr...sandconditions

So, your best option would be to wait until one of your flights are cancelled. If so, you would be able to cancel the entire booking and get back your Avios and money that you paid to select seats.
Old May 25, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Are you speaking for the seats, if so, to get your money back for seats your flights should be canceled itself, money and Avios spent on seat assignments are not refunded on voluntary refunds. This is clearly written on BA.com

https://www.britishairways.com/en-tr...sandconditions

So, your best option would be to wait until one of your flights are cancelled. If so, you would be able to cancel the entire booking and get back your Avios and money that you paid to select seats.
Thank you. AA stipulated that I had to cancel my entire itinerary including the flights operated by BA by the end of this month in order to avoid any penalty and thus have all of my AAdvantage miles I used for these reward tickets redeposited in my AA account along with a 100% refund of the service charges I paid. So I could not wait to see if the BA flights might cancel. As I have now already cancelled my entire booking with AA, should just one of the BA flights subsequently cancel, would it be possible to request a refund of Avios and money for all four flights operated by BA? Please note I have two different BA record locators for the DFW-LHR-MUC and SZG-LGW/LHR-AUS flights (in addition to AA record locators) as I initially booked these flights separately via AA.com.
Old May 25, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by jimlad48
Tomorrow marks 2 weeks since my £1400 AMEX 2-4-1 refund was 'allegedly' issued after a request made on 12 April - I say allegedly as although BA tell me its been processed, there is no sign of it and AMEX are adamant they have no record of it. (yes, before people ask, I have messaged BA Refund helper)

My options seem to be as follows - go into dispute with BA through AMEX or if needs be go to Small Claims Court - both currently live in my thinking given the appalling service I've had from BA thus far and my urgent need for the refund. Anyone have any experience of either option?
I’ve had to use small claims to get a refund from BA in the past. That was in a refund on a bmi award booking when they were taken over so their systems were a mess. Probably not too dissimilar from the problems they’re facing now.

You should put in writing your intention to start proceedings in 14 days before starting the action via MCOL.

(they acknowledged issue pretty quickly, but only after the immediate response that they were going to defend it)
jimlad48 likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
I’ve had to use small claims to get a refund from BA in the past. That was in a refund on a bmi award booking when they were taken over so their systems were a mess. Probably not too dissimilar from the problems they’re facing now.

You should put in writing your intention to start proceedings in 14 days before starting the action via MCOL.

(they acknowledged issue pretty quickly, but only after the immediate response that they were going to defend it)
Thanks - I hope it doesnt come to that, but I'm rapidly running out of options with BA and AMEX talking past each other.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:46 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Just as a data point but I cancelled a redemption over the phone on 14th May which included a 2-4-1. Miles + voucher went back immediately. Cash refund turned up today which seemed quicker than expected.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:16 am

Programs: CX DM, BA Gold
Not sure if this is the right thread for this:

Trying to use FTV (from redemption cancellation) to upgrade a CW to F but was told by agent that I can't use redemption avios for upgrade to commercial tickets. Was the agent right or I should HUACA? Appreciate if anyone who has similar experience.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
Thank you. AA stipulated that I had to cancel my entire itinerary including the flights operated by BA by the end of this month in order to avoid any penalty and thus have all of my AAdvantage miles I used for these reward tickets redeposited in my AA account along with a 100% refund of the service charges I paid. So I could not wait to see if the BA flights might cancel. As I have now already cancelled my entire booking with AA, should just one of the BA flights subsequently cancel, would it be possible to request a refund of Avios and money for all four flights operated by BA? Please note I have two different BA record locators for the DFW-LHR-MUC and SZG-LGW/LHR-AUS flights (in addition to AA record locators) as I initially booked these flights separately via AA.com.
So, as far as I understand, you had two separate tickets ( one for the inbound and another one for the outbound ) and you cancelled them voluntarily ( on your own will ) through AA.
If this is the case, your record locators ( PNR's ) should be invalid and you probably won't receive the seat fees back if your flights are cancelled.

I'm not sure about, AAdvantage award policy, but the best approach for you would be that to wait that on each reservation, one of the flights to be cancelled and then ask for a mileage + tax refund from AA and a refund for the seats from BA. If you have already cancelled your tickets at the moment, there is nothing to do with the situation.
Old May 26, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Just to recount my call with BA GGL line just now on rebooking from Split to London - was offered a flight same day at 7.55am (so 14 hours earlier) via Munich or following afternoon via Frankfurt. Bit disappointing they couldn't offer an afternoon flight (a few of those showing on Google Flights) but pretty decent considering the circumstances.

One for me to think about...
Old May 26, 2020, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by weebit
Has anyone tried this yet and has it worked?

I have a FTV which was originally an AMEX 2-for-1 companion voucher booking. The flight I want to use the FTV on is a high-demand route which often sells within minutes of going on sale, so I want to book it as early as possible to get the Business Class seats I want. Is it possible to book just the outbound and wait for the return to go on sale a couple of weeks later (in the same way you would when booking a companion ticket in the first place?)

Thanks
An update on my query - I called BA just now (only an 8 minute wait, not bad!). You can indeed book JUST the outbound and wait for the return to come on sale later. Technically my flight isn't "booked" yet but rather reserved for me until the return portion is booked. Fingers crossed my preferred return flight is available when I go to book it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.