Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:40 am

Hi, apologies if this has been covered already, I've had a search and skim through the thread but can't see it anywhere.

I have a cash booking for my 4 year old son that has now been cancelled (separate booking as we were on 2-4-1). It appears as though any form of online interaction to try to refund this is blocked and I am being asked to call BA, eg I cannot access the "Cancel and refund" button in MMB.

Any work arounds? This is a Ł3.5K cash fare so keen to get refund ASAP!
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by BGI Runner
Hi, apologies if this has been covered already, I've had a search and skim through the thread but can't see it anywhere.

I have a cash booking for my 4 year old son that has now been cancelled (separate booking as we were on 2-4-1). It appears as though any form of online interaction to try to refund this is blocked and I am being asked to call BA, eg I cannot access the "Cancel and refund" button in MMB.

Any work arounds? This is a Ł3.5K cash fare so keen to get refund ASAP!
There is a work around - search "Javascript" in the Ba forum
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
There is a work around - search "Javascript" in the Ba forum
Thanks, I am aware of this work around, used successfully to refund the separate 2-4-1 booking. Work around does not work on the separate booking made for my son, I assume because they see it as a “booking for somebody not travelling“ and therefore require you to phone up for refund?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:36 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Does anyone know how the vouchers from BA work? I had a Partner Reward seat booked using cash and Avios. Received the voucher today but it does not indicate any value (just a number). No Avios have been returned either. Pretty confusing.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Question - BA Flight Cancelled - Refund or Voucher

Hi, I've searched through all the very interesting information on Flyertalk and the BA website regarding passenger rights following COVID19 cancellations but can't seem to pin down an answer to my query; can anyone help please ? I have a long standing non-flex booking from Aberdeen to Larnaca and return next month (short break in early sun !). The LHR - Larnaca segments have been cancelled, but the Aberdeen - LHR segments are still operating as scheduled (although I'm sure that may well change). As far as I can see, if I cancel the whole trip BA are only offering me a voucher with no option available to get a full refund (fare originally paid using cash + Avios). I had imagined that if BA cancelled flights, I would be entitled to a full refund. Am I missing something here? Grateful for any guidance
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
You can get a refund, they just don’t make it easy:

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...google-chrome/
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You do have the option of a full refund. Atm if you want to do that online you will need to try the workaround here as otherwise clicking on cancel just sends you to the voucher form

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32218527-post6.html

If that doesn't work the only other way to request a refund is by calling - as your flight is next month I would leave it a week or so before calling so the call centres are not quite as busy
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:04 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Does anyone know how the vouchers from BA work? I had a Partner Reward seat booked using cash and Avios. Received the voucher today but it does not indicate any value (just a number). No Avios have been returned either. Pretty confusing.
You need to phone to use it, they will just re-apply the value to the new booking. Crazy really, I want to rebook but don't want to waste someone's time doing my booking for later in the year.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
You can phone or message BA and they will give you the voucher value and expiry date which seems to be 12 months from the first flight in the original booking or changed booking if you made a change under normal T&Cs.

I've checked value of 2 of mine and they are only for the original value, not including the POUG cost which I was told would be included, this is now being looked into.

In terms of use, beside within 12 months it's 1 voucher only per booking and it has to be done on the phone. I haven't yet been able to clarify if the vouchers can be used for upgrades either.

EDIT: just got a reply to my ask of why the POUG was not included, they said it could be and added it providing me the new value, so it looks like these may not be being added by default.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:12 am

Thanks Scots_AI. No surprise there then ! I'll try work arounds when I'm feeling up to the inevitable struggle . Couple of weeks to go yet...
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:17 am

Hi Karfa, thanks for the advice. Nothing straightforward when it comes to getting money back ! I've got a couple of weeks yet - wish me luck...
At the end of the day we'd sooner be heading for the Cyprus sun, but that's not to be - heyho.
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:27 am
Suspended

when ready to rebook you call in give your PNR and rebook everything is kept on hold for the next booking
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:40 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Hawk777
when ready to rebook you call in give your PNR and rebook everything is kept on hold for the next booking
Thank you all for the replies but does the voucher incorporate both the Avios and Cash portions?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, BA GGL CCR, Amex Plat
Fyi 12min wait time on the ggl number on the back of the card as of 15min ago. Cal centres very efficient. Refund on the way within a minute of the call.
have to praise the call centre girls and guys.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi there, just looking for a wee bit of advice, so that when the time comes I know best approach of refund versus voucher. I have a couple of linked bookings that constitute a family holiday. Trip is into KUL and out of SIN departing in a couple of weeks. First booking is CW, Avios with a 241. Second booking for the kids is cash fare upgraded to CW with a GUF2. Working on the assumption it will get cancelled I know I could hold out for cash and ask for voucher extension, but in my case would voucher be better? Still keen to do the same trip at end of year when things settle down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.