Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 5:37 am

Programs: Lowest of the low ��
Originally Posted by Family Guy
At the time of booking, we paid for our BA flights (LHR-SIN) and Garuda (SIN-DPS) in full so we could use our Avios to book seats together. Having contacted our TA today to find out what our options are (ideally postpone until similar time next year), they advise any flight changes will incur £350 pp fee + any fare differences. Is this right? If so, guess we will need to wait until -355 days to be able to book the flights and know what the difference in fare will be (we booked in a sale)
Thanks in advance for your advice.
FG
Just spoken to the Travel Agent, who now advises no admin fee is payable to postpone until next year (FTV) - which is good news - although they have advised that should the flight be cancelled we would still be liable for any fare differences for future flight bookings. I thought that BA were rebooking seats, up to 12 months from the original departure date, without charging any fare differences if flights were cancelled. Have I got this wrong, or is this only the case for flights booked direct with BA? Thanks for any advice.
Old May 29, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Quick question - my incredibly cheap OSL-LHR one way on 28 June has finally been cancelled and I understand from this thread I can rebook to different dates. Given inbound tourism to Norway now looks unlikely to restart this summer, is it possible to change the route to include a country more likely to be open? There's no option to do this in MMB so I assume I'd need to call? Upthread there's reference to a 350 mile cordon, which would bring Stockholm and Gothenburg into play. Is this hard and fast or could I ask for something else? Could I ask for the reverse direction i.e. LHR-ARN without paying any difference? I'm not interested in a voucher or refund... I'm keen to rebook for a specific date and keep my fingers crossed we can fly!

easyJet's policy is to rebook to any date / flight / route on their network which is incredibly generous and means I've got a number of "wild card" flights ready to form round trips.
Old May 29, 2020, 6:36 am

i have just had my flights to stockholm cancelled for the 20th June, as thinking of rebooking for later date did dummy check for different dates 4th July to 9th says no availability but if i change my booking on Manage your booking there is availability is it just Ba system is not catching up or are these new flights not really available
Old May 29, 2020, 7:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Thanks again! The booking was made two weeks ago so the pre 3 March issue wouldn't apply. I may just sit tight and then select a new flight in a couple of weeks from now via Manage my booking. I imagine this will remain an option until the original departure date unless BA email send another email pressing me to make a choice. I can also monitor availability in the meantime and make the change if availability of my preferred option might be an issue.
To be clear, you're only allowed one involuntary change per incident. So if you switched to a new flight, changed your mind, and the flight opoerated, you're on your own. So I always leave it at least 24 hours, often a lot longer, before switching services, unless I am within a day of departure. Speed is not of the essence for once. That said BWC does allow you to not fly anyway, so provided the booking meet the various dates, you can accept the FTV, but that's unusual and of course it may be removed as an option in the future.
Saint4805 likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 7:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just spoken to the Travel Agent, who now advises no admin fee is payable to postpone until next year (FTV) - which is good news - although they have advised that should the flight be cancelled we would still be liable for any fare differences for future flight bookings. I thought that BA were rebooking seats, up to 12 months from the original departure date, without charging any fare differences if flights were cancelled. Have I got this wrong, or is this only the case for flights booked direct with BA? Thanks for any advice.
Can you remind me if your BA flight(s) are cancelled or not? You need at least one cancellation for the 12 month provision, otherwise a fare difference may apply. Fare difference may not be an issue at the moment, depending on dates.
Old May 29, 2020, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Quick question - my incredibly cheap OSL-LHR one way on 28 June has finally been cancelled and I understand from this thread I can rebook to different dates. Given inbound tourism to Norway now looks unlikely to restart this summer, is it possible to change the route to include a country more likely to be open? There's no option to do this in MMB so I assume I'd need to call? Upthread there's reference to a 350 mile cordon, which would bring Stockholm and Gothenburg into play. Is this hard and fast or could I ask for something else? Could I ask for the reverse direction i.e. LHR-ARN without paying any difference? I'm not interested in a voucher or refund... I'm keen to rebook for a specific date and keep my fingers crossed we can fly!

easyJet's policy is to rebook to any date / flight / route on their network which is incredibly generous and means I've got a number of "wild card" flights ready to form round trips.
You can't reverse direction, but you can indeed move to ARN or GOT. CPH and BLL are also in scope for 350 miles, there is some wriggle room, but you can't make it for something completely different, for which the FTV is the option.
kingstontoon likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Stephen Harwood
i have just had my flights to stockholm cancelled for the 20th June, as thinking of rebooking for later date did dummy check for different dates 4th July to 9th says no availability but if i change my booking on Manage your booking there is availability is it just Ba system is not catching up or are these new flights not really available
I am not sure I understand this, usually MMB fails to show availability on dummy bookings which are visible in BA.com, so the opposite to your question, whereas right now I can book flights on multiple services on the dates you mentioned. Feel free to clarify but it would probably be quicker just to call BA.
Old May 29, 2020, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I am not sure I understand this, usually MMB fails to show availability on dummy bookings which are visible in BA.com, so the opposite to your question, whereas right now I can book flights on multiple services on the dates you mentioned. Feel free to clarify but it would probably be quicker just to call BA.
it perhaps would be if they would answer
Old May 29, 2020, 8:44 am

strangely now they have become available, must have been a glitch somewhere
Old May 29, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: Lowest of the low ��
Can you remind me if your BA flight(s) are cancelled or not? You need at least one cancellation for the 12 month provision, otherwise a fare difference may apply. Fare difference may not be an issue at the moment, depending on dates.
Thanks for replying C-W-S
Flights are 20 Jul BA11, 25 Jul GA843, 8 Aug GA842 and 8 Aug BA12.
Appreciate LHR-SIN due to resume (limited) from Monday, so not cancelled, but one of our options is to delay postponing our holiday (and getting a FTV) until nearer the departure date, just in case the flight(s) is/are cancelled. The only benefit I see of this is if BA would book our seats for a future date without any fare difference payable if the flight was cancelled. I’m concerned there may be a big difference in fare prices even though we’d be going similar time of year (Early July 2021) hence why looking at ‘options’.
How close to departure could we postpone our flights and obtain a FTV?
FG
Old May 29, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
You can't reverse direction, but you can indeed move to ARN or GOT. CPH and BLL are also in scope for 350 miles, there is some wriggle room, but you can't make it for something completely different, for which the FTV is the option.
Great stuff, thank you for the speedy response.
Old May 29, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
I've just been told that my flight to TFS in July has been cancelled - as expected - I'm happy to rebook later in the year but I'm not yet in a position to commit to a new date. I have no problem taking the refund as a voucher as I fly BA 3-4 times a year so I'm sure it will get used but I just wanted to check that if I book a new flight for less than the voucher value and remaining credit can be carried over?

My next challenge will be getting a refund for the hotel....
Old May 29, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
We had a BA holiday (Flight+Hotel) booking due to depart on 19/6/20 which I had to call to cancel just now, flights were on EI metal (BA codeshare) LBA>DUB>EWR>DUB>LBA. Despite LBA being closed EI have not cancelled the flights. I had only paid a £400 deposit which was due for final payment tomorrow. Called up and got a FTV sorted out in 12 minutes from dialing to hanging up by a very helpful agent who informed me it would take 10-14 days to be processed. refund not possible due to flights still operating even though she said the LBA>DUB flights were showing no availability.
in response to my own post from yesterday....today I received an email stating the holiday was cancelled and that a full refund would be processed.....it now looks like it’s a case of what comes first, the refund I didn’t request or the FTV.....happy either way, I suppose it just offers a data point to people to wait until the last possible if you definitely want a refund.
Old May 29, 2020, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Camflyer
I've just been told that my flight to TFS in July has been cancelled - as expected - I'm happy to rebook later in the year but I'm not yet in a position to commit to a new date. I have no problem taking the refund as a voucher as I fly BA 3-4 times a year so I'm sure it will get used but I just wanted to check that if I book a new flight for less than the voucher value and remaining credit can be carried over?

My next challenge will be getting a refund for the hotel....
Yes, you'll get another FTV for any residual, assuming it was a commercial booking. If it's under GBP 20 then instead you get a refund to the original form of payment. However (a) you could just leave it until you are more sure of dates (assuming the current Guidance holds) (b) take a cash refund or (c) take the Avios credit since TFS is usually good for Avios redemptions out of season. You will have to do the maths carefully to ensure that my hunch on the Avios credit is correct, which will depend in turn on your fare.
Old May 29, 2020, 12:12 pm

How close to departure could we postpone our flights and obtain a FTV?
FG
About 2 hours before departure to be safe, it could be a little later (redemptions would have to be the day before however). This assumes the free rebook policy continues - 14 days was previously allowed - and note that with a cancellation you get the Avios credit as well as the FTV, cash and rebook options. I doubt in that route Avios would be good idea so only look at that if you do other Avios worthwhile routes. It also assumes you can contact BA in time. If it's the first flight cancelled then there is no panic, you have 6 years to claim your cash. In reality BA seem to cancel about 3 or 4 weeks out and a few at two weeks out. so 10 days before departure would be a good time to review this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.