FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*
Old May 25, 2020, 11:55 am
ISTFlyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
Just got off the phone with a very nice lady agent with BA who seemed a bit confused concerning my request. Here's my situation:

* Using AA miles, I booked award travel last February to and from Europe involving several flights on BA this July including DFW - LHR on July 12, LHR - MUC on July 13, SZG - LGW on July 21 and LHR - AUS on July 22. BA service classes include DFW - LHR in CW (business), LHR - MUC in CE (business), SZG - LGW in CE (business) and LHR - AUS in CW (business).

* I then used a combination of Avios and money to select seats on all of the above BA operated flights via the BA website.

* Very unfortunately, we've now had to cancel this trip due the uncertainty concerning the on-going COVID-19 pandemic in Europe.

* I then called BA and was told I would not be refunded my Avios and money spent on my BA seat assignments unless these flights are cancelled. The flights in question include BA 192 DFW - LHR on July 12, BA 954 LHR - MUC on July 13, BA 2653 SZG - LGW on July 21 and BA 191 on July 22.

So in conclusion, it appears I will have to wait and see if BA cancels any of the above flights in order for my request for a refund of Avios and money to be processed, correct?

Many thanks in advance.
Are you speaking for the seats, if so, to get your money back for seats your flights should be canceled itself, money and Avios spent on seat assignments are not refunded on voluntary refunds. This is clearly written on BA.com

• You will not receive a refund for paid seating if you cancel your flight, are involuntarily upgraded or do not meet the requirements to sit in the seat type you have selected.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-tr...sandconditions

So, your best option would be to wait until one of your flights are cancelled. If so, you would be able to cancel the entire booking and get back your Avios and money that you paid to select seats.