Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Latest official update, posted by BA refund helper on 16 August (post no 579)

Historic wiki updates:
There seems to be some confusion over the ‘vouchers’ for future travel so here is some clarity in the hope it proves helpful to others.

The ‘voucher number’ will be the customer’s existing ticket number. The process is no different to putting a booking on hold for medical reasons and the existing booking will be reused for future travel, with the ticket reissued following payment of any difference in fare. This is why it takes so long to receive confirmation as someone has to manually go into each booking (as you’ll imagine there are a lot!), remove the live flights, hold in a ghost flight and send the confirmation email to the customer. It is not an eVoucher that you would enter into ba.com for a discount off a brand new booking and new travel arrangements should NOT be made in this way.

Similarly, customers should NOT cancel their own bookings at any point in the voucher process. This will invalidate any eligibility for the voucher and process a fare rules refund.

When ready to rebook (and once the lines are a lot quieter!) customers will need to call to be rebooked as there is no facility to do this online at all and anything done online in this manner will be at the customer’s own expense since you won't be able to deploy the eVoucher's funds. The voucher is valid for travel completed (both outbound and inbound) by 30th April 2021.

There is no telephone service charge for using the eVoucher, you have to call up, but you won't have to pay an extra fee to make the booking in this scenario.
Print Wikipost

Rebooking with e-voucher

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:58 am

I'm still not entirely clear if there are any benefits for me to call up and request a refund or get two vouchers...

Situation
LHR to YVR - 20th May - 8th June
2-4-1 voucher used
Business Out, Economy Back (Although I now have enough AVIOS to upgrade to Premium Economy)
Flight has not yet been cancelled but you now cannot book flights to YVR before 1st of June so only a matter of time before MMB shows cancelled.

Is it the case:
A) Phone up and get two vouchers which is the cash equivalent of all this, which I could then use my AVIOS to upgrade to Premium Economy?
B) Phone up and cancel to get a full AVIOS + cash refund and rebook using my extended 2-4-1 which lets me use it until end of next year, rather than just giving me one year...

It seems option B is the best, unless I'm missing some clever trick with regard to the voucher?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cowichan2020
I'm still not entirely clear if there are any benefits for me to call up and request a refund or get two vouchers...

Situation
LHR to YVR - 20th May - 8th June
2-4-1 voucher used
Business Out, Economy Back (Although I now have enough AVIOS to upgrade to Premium Economy)
Flight has not yet been cancelled but you now cannot book flights to YVR before 1st of June so only a matter of time before MMB shows cancelled.

Is it the case:
A) Phone up and get two vouchers which is the cash equivalent of all this, which I could then use my AVIOS to upgrade to Premium Economy?
B) Phone up and cancel to get a full AVIOS + cash refund and rebook using my extended 2-4-1 which lets me use it until end of next year, rather than just giving me one year...

It seems option B is the best, unless I'm missing some clever trick with regard to the voucher?
Definitely B. There aren't any benefits for you with A. You can still book the premium economy back when you eventually rebook.
percysmith likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Hawk777
if the voucher booking with for a 241 redemption then the new booking will be too. Just call up quote the booking ref number, sounds like a you got a bit of an idiot at the call centre as the 72 hour isn't being implemented at moment either
I have just contacted British Airways regarding another issue but I did ask the very helpful agent if I could use the cash voucher I received from a cancelled flight (cash paid, no avios used) towards my taxes and charges on a future avios booking. She said no, only on another cash booking. When I asked her about using the voucher on exactly the same route but where the price had increased - would I have to pay the extra, she said yes. That seems to me a little unfair. BA cancel the flights and then charge you more in the future for exactly the same route.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by heb999
I have just contacted British Airways regarding another issue but I did ask the very helpful agent if I could use the cash voucher I received from a cancelled flight (cash paid, no avios used) towards my taxes and charges on a future avios booking. She said no, only on another cash booking. When I asked her about using the voucher on exactly the same route but where the price had increased - would I have to pay the extra, she said yes. That seems to me a little unfair. BA cancel the flights and then charge you more in the future for exactly the same route.
On your second point, you always have to pay the fare difference with a voluntary change. Of course there is also the possibility for your future booking using the FTV (it doesn't have to be the same route) could cost less and in that case another vouhcer would be issued for the difference.

If you are saying BA cancelled the flight in your case I would suggest that asking for a full refund would have been the better option rather than taking a FTV.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by heb999
yep that's right you can't use a cash booking voucher for Avios new booking. As for fare difference unfortunately yep you do have to pay it if using a voucher the way around it is if you dont cancel the flight and get te free change as per conditions of carriage if some fare bucket available,
Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the advice. I took a voucher as I did not want to be committed to flying the same route.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Booking a flight even if only partly with a voucher reinstates the old ticket conditions I was told today . You don’t Benefit from the book with confidence policy if a voucher is used .
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If I call up to ask for a voucher for a cancelled flight can I in the same call book a future flight (the new flights would be a different route) or would I have to wait for them to do back office stuff?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If I call up to ask for a voucher for a cancelled flight can I in the same call book a future flight (the new flights would be a different route) or would I have to wait for them to do back office stuff?
you can just rebook in that case, no need to ask for a FTV.

FTVs are really only for bookings where flights are not cancelled and you don't know what you want to rebook yet.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Thanks KARFA good to know.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
Sorry if this has already been answered... can you use the vouchers to pay towards an outstanding balance of an existing BA Holidays booking? Thanks
Yes you can, just did this exact thing earlier today. Best probably going 2-2-1 in the menus when you call, I did 2-2-2 but the agent I spoke to had to contact the Holidays people to add the voucher to another existing holiday booking.
Should add that the value of the voucher was subtracted from the original holiday cost and not the balance but came to the same thing in the end. Showed in MMB shortly after the call.
oxtailsoup likes this.

Last edited by BESTEDIFLYER; Apr 17, 2020 at 2:08 pm
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by BESTEDIFLYER
Yes you can, just did this exact thing earlier today. Best probably going 2-2-1 in the menus when you call, I did 2-2-2 but the agent I spoke to had to contact the Holidays people to add the voucher to another existing holiday booking.
Looks like you may have got lucky, it seems clear that shouldn't be possible.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...e=HOME#voucher

Can I use my voucher to pay some or all of the balance on an existing holiday booking?

A voucher may only be redeemed towards a new British Airways Holidays booking made once you have received the voucher. Vouchers are not eligible to be used in payment or part-payment towards an existing holiday booking.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Silver
My understanding was that you could use FTV as payment towards an existing holiday booking if it was before the 31 December and there was still an outstanding balance?
Old Apr 18, 2020, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver
Originally Posted by BESTEDIFLYER
Should add that the value of the voucher was subtracted from the original holiday cost and not the balance but came to the same thing in the end. Showed in MMB shortly after the call.
On further examination I noticed that the voucher had been applied to the total holiday cost and had reduced that by the value of the voucher. It didn’t show as me having made a payment. The balance to be paid is correct but I am left with nothing showing directly that I have made that payment towards the holiday. BA say it shows in their systems.
Now if you remember the problems with Thomas Cook systems when they went down the tubes and the hoops you had to jump through to get your money back I don’t want to go through that again. As they say “once bitten “, rebooked with BA after the same holiday with TC was cancelled. Also told that if this holiday is cancelled the £1700 voucher value would remain as a voucher to be used for a future holiday.
Not happy with that so spoke with a manager saying that I would have gone for a refund to my card if I had known the voucher would remain as a voucher in the future. Our holiday is to Mexico late September so I am far from certain it will go ahead. Manager says the situation is very fluid and things may very well change re refunds.
Will leave it for now but will come back to this later.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Just another data point in case it helps others. If you have not yet received an e-voucher (like me) you don’t need to wait for it.

I wanted to make a new flight booking. I priced the flights up on BA.com, then called BA and asked them to make the booking for me. I then provided the two booking references (PNRs) for the vouchers I have been waiting for.

No problem whatsoever reducing the cost of my new flight booking by the sum of the two previously cancelled flights (so you can use more than one e-voucher towards a new booking).

In summary... you don’t have to wait for the e-voucher to arrive. The old PNR will do or the original e-ticket number if you still have it (I didn’t).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.