Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

16 Feb : BA Heathrow operations disrupted : Systems failures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

16 Feb : BA Heathrow operations disrupted : Systems failures

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Confus
That problem being that HAL’s odd funding mechanism means that any ‘fines’ or ‘compensation’ only ends up being passed on to the airline community anyway. So BA pays even if they try to claim it from HAL.
Fair enough. The whole system of slots etc need urgent revision, it's harming the economy.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by bobbytables
How does a HAL failure lead to BA’s MMB not working and their call centre staff being unable to help with people’s bookings? Smells fishy to me.

10 years in IT management here. Normally I’d be happy to offer to solve BA’s problems on a no-fix-no-fee basis, but with the frequency of them something tells me the issues are not in IT but rather higher up.
Because if the multiple cancellations, delays, misconnects etc this caused for BA, call centre staff and MMB are swamped with people trying to rebook. Disruption like this cannot be planned for staffing levels. Equally BA is not the best for handling disruption and there is lots to be worked on.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cameramaker
633 ATH-LHR delayed overnight along with another 70 cancellations in to LHR according to the crew. No info on when the rescheduled flight will depart yet. App saying 0800, ground staff saying check after 8am.

Do we think MCOL will enforce EU261 payment, this seems to be IT related too.
Hi Cameramaker,

We were also on the delayed 633, departing midday next day. I haven’t made a claim yet but will be doing so at the weekend and I’ll be happy to compare notes. Either way, good luck.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
BA is not offering compensation for delays incurred due to the HAL issues. I submitted a claim as I was 7 hours late arriving at ARN and got the following email:

"An apology from British Airways

I'm very sorry to see that your flight to Stockholm on 17 February, BA0780, was cancelled. From what you've told us, we didn't deliver the high standards of customer service which we aim for during this time, especially as you weren't notified of the cancellation. I understand why you needed to complain, and I'd like to assure you that your feedback has been passed to our Management team.

I've looked into the reason for the cancellation of your flight, and this was due to our crew being out of hours and displaced. This was caused by adverse weather conditions, as well as Heathrow Airport Limited system issues on 16 February. Unfortunately, we're not responsible for the systems in London Heathrow, and so we're not liable to offer compensation for this. I'm sorry to disappoint you."

Can't say I'm terribly impressed, any point in pursuing this further?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Mike P
Can't say I'm terribly impressed, any point in pursuing this further?
See posts 22 and 39, you can try to get your PSC back from HAL. You would have to tell HAL that BA aren't refunding it. EC261 is in my view, not going to help but some people above think that HAL is a supplier and therefore in scope for EC261. I don't happen to agree but I point out that argument.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
See posts 22 and 39, you can try to get your PSC back from HAL. You would have to tell HAL that BA aren't refunding it. EC261 is in my view, not going to help but some people above think that HAL is a supplier and therefore in scope for EC261. I don't happen to agree but I point out that argument.
OK thanks. Probably best just to leave it then.

I'm slightly irritated that this is the second trip in a row where I've had flights cancelled, incurred substantial delay as a result and have not been contacted by BA to let me know there was an issue. My contact details are correct (BA has both phoned and emailed to say they won't be paying EU261 compensation!) - I'd have thought for GGL members BA should be at least proactively contacting people when flights are cancelled? Some kind of service recovery gesture wouldn't go amiss at this point...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.