Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

16 Feb : BA Heathrow operations disrupted : Systems failures

16 Feb : BA Heathrow operations disrupted : Systems failures

Old Feb 16, 20, 1:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
I have just received a text and an email to tell me that my flight tomorrow has been cancelled and I have been rebooked on Tuesday flights. This is no good and when trying to call the helpline, my call is continuously ended before I get through
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Have you tried rebooking via Manage my Booking?
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Have you tried rebooking via Manage my Booking?
I havent, but will give it a try thanks

*edit*. MMB is down at the moment
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E+, LH Sen, Accor Plat, Base level: AF, AS, DL, Hilton, IHG
T3 info screen below . I arrived for my Vienna flight (after my original flight BA704 cancelled this afternoon) to be told my new flight BA706 was also cancelled. Mayhem in the T3 British Airways area, then 10 minutes later we are told the flight back on, but rather delayed

The charming man in the Qantas lounge, which was deserted as QF cancelled both evening flights, said T5 was even more chaotic.

Last edited by Shuttle; Feb 16, 20 at 1:09 pm Reason: Typo
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Flying Blue Silver, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by harry0233 View Post
How is it different from an IT meltdown that BA outsourced to an outside vendor? E.g.: Amadeus. I believe based on the last court ruling that it's still covered under EC261. They could have also boarded people manually much sooner rather than waited over 3 hrs before doing that. So it's not like it's absolutely impossible to not board people
​​​​
Pretty clear that however theyre dealing with the issue, its causing longer turns than the schedules can cope with. I guess theyd also be hoping that they can blame the IT failure on the weather too...?
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:16 pm

Well my 20:20 flight to ncl got cancelled - Heathrow is just a mess. Can't get a flight back till 7pm tomorrow - checked trains and can't even get a ticket. Can I claim loss of earnings from BA?

I Am convinced its only be cancelled because the 18:05 is delayed to 20:17....so same time as my flight. Disgraceful behaviour if that's the case as its sunny in London and in Newcastle I have been told
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:18 pm

I'm at T5. It's chaos. MMB is down, ba.com is down. There's no gate info posting - I just sent a lady running to C gates where her JNB flight is boarding. Shed been trying to get info for the last hour but all departure boards are fro,en.
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Is the Heathrow app working for those needing gate information?
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by harry0233 View Post
How is it different from an IT meltdown that BA outsourced to an outside vendor? E.g.: Amadeus. I believe based on the last court ruling that it's still covered under EC261. They could have also boarded people manually much sooner rather than waited over 3 hrs before doing that. So it's not like it's absolutely impossible to not board people
​​​​
As mentioned in the quote, it may be that legally HAL is a supplier, the difference, I guess, is that it's BA's choice as to whether to use Amadeus or Sabre. BA can't choose an alternative airport provider other than HAL. Still, I'm not a lawyer, someone should give it a go!

HAL's problems seemed to have started quite some time ago now, judging from this 13:15 tweet and photo.
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:34 pm

Please - someone try C-W-S's idea of challenging HAL directly over the APD service charge.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:42 pm

Family off to Heathrow hotel for the night. All evening flights to paric cancelled. BA systems are working again and rebooked for tomorrow.
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by Tigerbo View Post
Well my 20:20 flight to ncl got cancelled - Heathrow is just a mess. Can't get a flight back till 7pm tomorrow - checked trains and can't even get a ticket. Can I claim loss of earnings from BA?

I Am convinced its only be cancelled because the 18:05 is delayed to 20:17....so same time as my flight. Disgraceful behaviour if that's the case as its sunny in London and in Newcastle I have been told
It seems that BA are still planning on running tonight's return BA1335 NCL-LHR (timetabled for 20:10 but probably nearer 22:00 if the flight doesn't leave LHR until 20:17).

Tomorrow's BA1321 NCL-LHR at 0700 has been cancelled - just had a text message and got rebooked on the noon flight.

Programs: BAEC Bronze
D

My flight to Glasgow cancelled. have been automatically rebooked onto a flight from Gatwick tomorrow afternoon

waiting to speak to customer services but need to look for accommodation overnight I think. Hopefully I can claim the cost of this back but worried because they said cancellation was because of adverse weather

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by travellertales View Post
Family off to Heathrow hotel for the night. All evening flights to paric cancelled. BA systems are working again and rebooked for tomorrow.
633 ATH-LHR delayed overnight along with another 70 cancellations in to LHR according to the crew. No info on when the rescheduled flight will depart yet. App saying 0800, ground staff saying check after 8am.

Do we think MCOL will enforce EU261 payment, this seems to be IT related too.
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:55 pm

LBA at 11.10 tomorrow now showing as cancelled. The return is on Friday- what happens if I accept the refund- does it cancel the return?

Search this Thread