Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

16 Feb : BA Heathrow operations disrupted : Systems failures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:54 am
Original Poster

It looks like the security system for domestic flights is down, and agents are manually checking docs instead. I'm on the Lhr-Bhd and it's been delayed for 3 hours.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by harry0233
It looks like the security system for domestic flights is down, and agents are manually checking docs instead. I'm on the Lhr-Bhd and it's been delayed for 3 hours.
My colleague Rhys is on LHR LUX - 2 hrs on tarmac so far and another 1 hour at least to come.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Raffles
My colleague Rhys is on LHR LUX - 2 hrs on tarmac so far and another 1 hour at least to come.
Handy. I’m waiting for 417
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
Not storm related, however. Some kind of IT meltdown at Heathrow - passenger information displays completely down (no gate numbers etc). Boarded aircraft, only to be told that we were waiting for luggage. Apparently the dIT systems killed baggage handling too.

pushing back now - 2.5 hours after scheduled departure.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by rhysflies
Not storm related, however. Some kind of IT meltdown at Heathrow - passenger information displays completely down (no gate numbers etc). Boarded aircraft, only to be told that we were waiting for luggage. Apparently the dIT systems killed baggage handling too.

pushing back now - 2.5 hours after scheduled departure.
Can confirm system outage across all terminals affecting information screens, baggage, automated announcements, ATC, the whole lot.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:43 am

Been unable to check in all day on an LBA tomorrow - now says it is delayed by an hour.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Feb 16, 2020 at 10:51 am
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Sitting in the DUB T1 lounge waiting for BA 827 to LHR, scheduled for 1755 which is currently delayed until 1959. Delay was varying between 1829 and 1844 until a few minutes ago until it became clear the outbound BA826 G-NEOR had not left LHR yet. It is currently scheduled to depart LHR 1800 / arrive DUB 1914.

On the plus side, looking forward to my first A321neo. Also hoping for my usual experience of BA crews during delays on this route in that they have historically gone on a kindness offensive to disarm the (understandable) grumpiness of weather delays. A double serving of the passenger’s tipple always works wonders!
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Currently sat in Galleries South waiting for announcements as the info system is down too, so everything is being called. Both my 442 and the delayed 440 ought to have been called by now if they were going to leave when the app says, so I’m not hopeful. Screens have just shown a raft of cancellations later on - but don’t know if those are accurate!
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by etiene
Currently sat in Galleries South waiting for announcements as the info system is down too, so everything is being called. Both my 442 and the delayed 440 ought to have been called by now if they were going to leave when the app says, so I’m not hopeful. Screens have just shown a raft of cancellations later on - but don’t know if those are accurate!
Yes, it's accurate. BA have just scrubbed most of the shorthaul services from 19:00 to 20:30 hrs. A pretty grim nght reallly, even though the weather isn't so bad.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, it's accurate. BA have just scrubbed most of the shorthaul services from 19:00 to 20:30 hrs. A pretty grim nght reallly, even though the weather isn't so bad.
Yes, just had an extensive list read out. I’m not cancelled (yet) but just left knowing nothing...
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Can confirm system outage across all terminals affecting information screens, baggage, automated announcements, ATC, the whole lot.
anyone know what this means for EU261? Over the 2 hour delay, but since this is an airport problem and not a BA problem can I still get compensation?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Waiting in AMS for the 441 back so would love to know latest timing. Earlier flights all oversold apparently
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:09 am

I have family at Heathrow who's flight at 17.25 was cancelled. Now BA unable to rebook or do anything as IT has crashed!! Told by staff at customer services to go away as nothing they can do. Telephone helpline currently has no IT sysems working.

Last edited by travellertales; Feb 16, 2020 at 11:19 am
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:16 am

Two Heathrow cancellations from Glasgow this evening now - 1493 and 1497. Plenty of folk in the lounge stranded.

Glad I booked the LCY flight, which I have just boarded on time.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Tell them to hang in there and stay calm. I'm sure the crash is temporary and in the meantime they are eligible for due care (depending on how long they are held up for). What flight are they on, do you know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.