Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

16 Feb : BA Heathrow operations disrupted : Systems failures

16 Feb : BA Heathrow operations disrupted : Systems failures

Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Firstly you need to be 3 hours late arriving before compensation becomes in contention (but 2 hours late departure for refreshments / right to care on short services). If it turns out to be HAL's fault - which is what I'm reading here - then that's outside BA's control. BA still need to take all reasonable measures to minimise your delay.

If you wanted to make a stand: a senior court might, might, take the view that HAL is BA's supplier here and BA can ping the cost on to HAL. By no means a certain outcome! The other option, perhaps more interesting, is if you demand directly from HAL that they refund (e.g.) half or all their Ł17.41 Passenger Service Charge under the Consumer Rights Act, on the basis of poor quality workmanship. I'd really like someone to try that!
Gatwick refunded me the whole APD 20 years ago as the door to board our flight to Jersey from the North Terminal Door 55 area was set for arrivals and not departures and opening it would have set off alarms. It was the first flight on a Sunday morning and I’d been up all night out in London and was tired and grumpy and wanted my bed. We were delayed boarding by 45 mins and missed our slot so took off 90 mins late.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:42 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I’m guessing they couldn’t sell alcohol for customs reasons and possibly they didn’t want to start cooking food just in case the flight was cleared for takeoff quickly but I can see that these reasons would be hard to understand, what I will say is we don’t set out to disappoint customers, funnily enough happy customers are easy to look after.
The pilot kept repeatedly telling us that there was no hope of an earlier departure, so the "no hot food" statement was simply slacking off. Would it really have killed BA to have allowed us to avoid boarding knowing until later, given what was going on? Or maybe distribute some free soft drinks and munchies? It seems pretty clear that this particular crew just didn't care.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by harry0233
They would have gotten sympathy from people had it were the case. Instead, the incoming aircraft arrived on time and sat at the gate for 3 hours while they took their time to decide to go with manual verification. They don't have choice but to work with BAA, but they do have a choice to plan for IT failures and have contingency plans, especially after the 2017 debacle.
Agreed - once we boarded the copilot’s announcement didn’t blame the weather at all. I’ll be claiming, because as you say the fact that their dispatch routine in an IT failure seems to require specifically trained staff that they don’t have enough of is entirely within their control. If they wish to pursue the cost from HAL that is up to them.

(Our plane and crew were available from an hour before original departure - some of them even timed out waiting for a dispatcher and loading team)
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tigerbo
Well my 20:20 flight to ncl got cancelled - Heathrow is just a mess. Can't get a flight back till 7pm tomorrow - checked trains and can't even get a ticket. Can I claim loss of earnings from BA?

I Am convinced its only be cancelled because the 18:05 is delayed to 20:17....so same time as my flight. Disgraceful behaviour if that's the case as its sunny in London and in Newcastle I have been told
My daughter & boyfriend are in the same situation - fortunately both not at work today. Managed to book them into the Premier Inn as BA washed their hands of it.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:06 am

Well the 7.34 train Harrogate to London was cancelled and now on the Skipton-London train where half of the carriage seem to be from the LBA flight.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:06 am

Just for some light entertainment.....

We started travelling ex Las Palmas BA2601 to LGW Saturday. Two missed approaches later due to wind, we diverted to the very handy Cologne.

Eventually put up in a hotel, but there was no information or staff on hand to assist for far too long at the airport. Crew dissappeared with no instructions, but I accept not there responsibility really.

We were originally booked for a hotel in LGW Sat evening so lost that. No biggy.

BA2601 rescheduled for Sun Dep 1630. Our connecting flight (or not) BA1334 Dep 1515 Sun cancelled and rebooked on BA1338 2020.

​​​​​​BA 2601 Cologne to Gatwick went fine, but a bit late. Got on National Express to LHR via the scenic none motorway route via Reigate. Looked as though we'd be fine to catch the final flight leg. Checked MMB..... flight cancelled.

The first flight we could be rebooked on is Tue am. Two days after for a domestic flight, blimey!

So we're in an airport hotel with an extra day of.... errr... not much... but after that short (no so much) haul journey I'm now happy to go with the flow.

Wine o'clock by lunchtime I suspect.

Happy days. Could be MUCH worse😁

See what occurs tomorrow.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:14 am

Where is your final destination?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
The first flight we could be rebooked on is Tue am. Two days after for a domestic flight, blimey!
I sometimes think that when BA invites passengers to spend 2 nights at their expense in a hotel rather than (e.g.) handing you a First Class ticket on LNER to NCL, they do so in the hope that people make their own arrangements. In your case you are OK to go with the flow, which is fair enough. If it happens again - hopefully not - then you can bypass queues, sort your own hotels out, and call BA when you're comfortable.

What hotels did they put you in? And what was the reaction on board when people were told they were off to Germany?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:46 am

I would keep checking flight availability to newcastle if you are at LHR or see about standby? I have been automatically booked onto a flight later today which I wont be taking but cant get through to let them know yet. I assume that lots of people are like this. I know when we were told we coudlnt fit on an LBA flight a couple of years ago and rebooked for the next day I held my ground (albeit in the CCR) and waited at the airport and the flight ended up less than a third full as those with connections couldn't get to LHR to catch the LBA flight.,
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Does anyone know if everything is back to normal at LHR today?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
Does anyone know if everything is back to normal at LHR today?
Yes it was resolved yesterday.

The multi notifications that people got yesterday were a sign that they had restored from backups and the flow of data via notification was a sign of the database being brought back on stream - it was catching up on itself by sending out notifications again. I would hope HAL would add in a switch to any future rollback to turn off the notifications.

There are some lingering weather issues around, see the other thread.
crazyanglaisy likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:30 am

How does a HAL failure lead to BA’s MMB not working and their call centre staff being unable to help with people’s bookings? Smells fishy to me.

10 years in IT management here. Normally I’d be happy to offer to solve BA’s problems on a no-fix-no-fee basis, but with the frequency of them something tells me the issues are not in IT but rather higher up.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Did this also affect MAN? Somebody I know said the queues in T3 were horrendous around 17:00 (open goal...) and it was being attributed to a systems failure.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Legally one would hope that it should be that EU261 applies and the airlines raise compensation issues with the airport which obviously messed up here.
That problem being that HAL’s odd funding mechanism means that any ‘fines’ or ‘compensation’ only ends up being passed on to the airline community anyway. So BA pays even if they try to claim it from HAL.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Did this also affect MAN? Somebody I know said the queues in T3 were horrendous around 17:00 (open goal...) and it was being attributed to a systems failure.
Standard ops at MAN isn’t it?!
I also heard similar from a friend travelling AF last night... think it was just a combination of the start of half term plus delays from earlier in the day (FR24 showed a lot of holding circles and not much landing for an hour or so in the afternoon) plus the usual absolute idiots that MAN seems to attract who apparently haven’t flown since before the current security rules came in (c.2006). The ‘delightful’ security staff probably didn’t add much to the situation, if we’re honest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.