Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

16 Feb : BA Heathrow operations disrupted : Systems failures

16 Feb : BA Heathrow operations disrupted : Systems failures

Old Feb 16, 20, 12:20 pm

Programs: Lowly blue, sometimes Bronze
It seems to be a Heathrow problem not a ba one according to Twitter
revorgap likes this.
Old Feb 16, 20, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
It is not just BA- Heathrow wide issue it seems:

https://www.euronews.com/2020/02/16/...-for-thousands
Heathrow systems outage causes delays for thousands
ajamieson likes this.
Old Feb 16, 20, 12:22 pm

They were on BA322. Disneyland Paris tomottow now looks out the question as they will still be at Heathrow
Old Feb 16, 20, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jeremyBA View Post
It seems to be a Heathrow problem not a ba one according to Twitter
Have been sat in the T5B lounge for a couple of hours. Staff here also saying this is aHeathrow problem rather than BA. Whole raft of short-haul departures just cancelled.
Old Feb 16, 20, 12:24 pm

I have spoken to BA call centre and they cannot rebook as BA systems down.
Old Feb 16, 20, 12:26 pm

Im sitting in Galleries South (*waves to etiene*) waiting for BA123, which is delayed to complete maintenance work. Im really curious what maintenance work it is, and how likely it is that this delay will turn into a cancellation (even if unrelated to all the other cancellations).

If I try to find an alternative now, I might be able to.

If I wait until they actually cancel, Ill be stuck in London tonight (as much as I love London; that wasnt in my plans). Any advice?
Old Feb 16, 20, 12:34 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rhysflies View Post
anyone know what this means for EU261? Over the 2 hour delay, but since this is an airport problem and not a BA problem can I still get compensation?
Firstly you need to be 3 hours late arriving before compensation becomes in contention (but 2 hours late departure for refreshments / right to care on short services). If it turns out to be HAL's fault - which is what I'm reading here - then that's outside BA's control. BA still need to take all reasonable measures to minimise your delay.

If you wanted to make a stand: a senior court might, might, take the view that HAL is BA's supplier here and BA can ping the cost on to HAL. By no means a certain outcome! The other option, perhaps more interesting, is if you demand directly from HAL that they refund (e.g.) half or all their 17.41 Passenger Service Charge under the Consumer Rights Act, on the basis of poor quality workmanship. I'd really like someone to try that!
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 16, 20, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
I have friends stuck in Paris.
Old Feb 16, 20, 12:47 pm

Programs: QF P1, OZ Diamond
Looks like this is affecting the baggage system, I'm currently in reclaim at T5 and the belts are being allocated manually. Seems to be pretty significant delays too. Frustratingly this is the first trip in about two years that I have checked a bag!
Old Feb 16, 20, 12:49 pm

Just got off phone with BA, no issues at all rebooking, issue at Heathrow are due to HAL IT failure, restricting stands available apparently (along with many other systems!)
Old Feb 16, 20, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA/VS Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Firstly you need to be 3 hours late arriving before compensation becomes in contention (but 2 hours late departure for refreshments / right to care on short services). If it turns out to be HAL's fault - which is what I'm reading here - then that's outside BA's control. BA still need to take all reasonable measures to minimise your delay.

If you wanted to make a stand: a senior court might, might, take the view that HAL is BA's supplier here and BA can ping the cost on to HAL. By no means a certain outcome! The other option, perhaps more interesting, is if you demand directly from HAL that they refund (e.g.) half or all their 17.41 Passenger Service Charge under the Consumer Rights Act, on the basis of poor quality workmanship. I'd really like someone to try that!
My mistake - apparently it is only 2 hours for cancellation but 3 hours for delay. Looks like I wont be getting anything!
Old Feb 16, 20, 12:51 pm

Programs: QF P1, OZ Diamond
Uodate: it appears the system is up and running again, the screens in baggage reclaim are now working
Old Feb 16, 20, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by rfarlz View Post
Looks like this is affecting the baggage system, I'm currently in reclaim at T5 and the belts are being allocated manually. Seems to be pretty significant delays too. Frustratingly this is the first trip in about two years that I have checked a bag!
Yes, the baggage claim was somewhat chaotic earlier (at around 4pm), with nothing on the displays and one whiteboard with flight numbers being written next to belt numbers. My flight wasn't even written on the board: I just ended up walking up and down the baggage hall until I spotted my bags going round!
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Flying Blue Silver, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by YYZPolarBear View Post
Im sitting in Galleries South (*waves to etiene*) waiting for BA123, which is delayed to complete maintenance work. Im really curious what maintenance work it is, and how likely it is that this delay will turn into a cancellation (even if unrelated to all the other cancellations).

If I try to find an alternative now, I might be able to.

If I wait until they actually cancel, Ill be stuck in London tonight (as much as I love London; that wasnt in my plans). Any advice?
Doha? Why on Earth arent they shipping everyone to T4 to take QR?!

Im at the very north end, yellow and black backpack and a can of speedbird.
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post

How is it different from an IT meltdown that BA outsourced to an outside vendor? E.g.: Amadeus. I believe based on the last court ruling that it's still covered under EC261. They could have also boarded people manually much sooner rather than waited over 3 hrs before doing that. So it's not like it's absolutely impossible to not board people
​​​​

Search this Thread