FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
London Heathrow to Newquay
service starts 2 July 18 July 24 July 2020
Print Wikipost

BA Launch London Heathrow to Newquay

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Pathetic
MatJarosz likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Unbelievable

if this is true it just goes to show that ccc and Nqy have a really short memory after the mess that eastern got them into around air southwest

very very poor show
cs
I can only assume no one else bid? Eastern are a complete basket case operationally.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC
But this is good news in a way as BA will still be able to operate LHR-NQY in the peak summer months. If Eastern had got LHR slots, BA wouldn't have been allowed to fly the route at all.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, TAP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I really hope this isnt true. They havent got any significant routes or codeshares, they dont offer online check-in and theyre also difficult for anyone flying with 23kg+ luggage. Looking at their fares, they dont even appear to be anywhere close to what LCCs tend to offer.

I could probably shrug that off if they at least flew to and from Heathrow. Gatwick is currently pretty useless for any non-leisure destinations, especially if you dont fancy flying on U2 or other LCCs.
KeaneJohn, Schwann, PZE and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:33 pm
PZE

Programs: BA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
I can only assume no one else bid? Eastern are a complete basket case operationally.
i had expected it to go to resurrected-FlyBe (the PSO spec looked tailor made for Q400 or ATR72 operating morning and evening). Presumably they werent ready to bid despite the extensions, but it looked unattractive for other bidders - most of Loganairs fleet is too small to meet the requirements without adding a 3rd daily flight, and for BA, operating 2x daily A319 would be far more seats than the 260/day required.
MatJarosz likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: Avios, Aeroplan
totally useless - really hope this isn't the case.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by BAeuro
But this is good news in a way as BA will still be able to operate LHR-NQY in the peak summer months. If Eastern had got LHR slots, BA wouldn't have been allowed to fly the route at all.
Its not good news for those of us who actually live in the SW and want decent connections with the rest of the Country for work
PZE likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
What now? BA are barred from competing with a subsidised route cos Cornwall County Council say so???
Old Oct 28, 2021, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by davidcamp6
Its not good news for those of us who actually live in the SW and want decent connections with the rest of the Country for work
No its not, but unfortunately CCC dont seem to be clever enough to realise Eastern to LGW isnt a good enough link.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA GOLD VA SILVER MARRIOTT TITANIUM IHG AMBASSADOR
CCC not exactly Fishermen's Friends

Such a poor but unsurprising result. LGW who wants to go there?
Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
It’s just rumoured but my source is usually spot on and I’ve seen a similar announcement on Twitter but I’d love to be wrong.

I’m wondering if LGW gave Eastern a deal too good to give up given the situation with the pandemic and/or there were no other tenders. This is for 4 years though from 31 Oct 2021 to Sept 2025. Nothing on official sources yet which I’d be expecting if the tender start date is Sunday.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 8:06 pm

Not at all - there is nothing to stop BA running the route to any airport and if they run the same airport/service as the PSO after a time (one presumes at least a 12 month service) the PSO has to be withdrawn as it would then be proven that it was a commercially viable route.

I wondered in fact if the recently announced reduction in UK APD might have been enough to tip the balance for BA wanting to operate the route full time.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:01 pm

Ah ha - from the slot report for LGW. Note unlike last time no other airline registered for potential slots for NQY, so may well have been only applicant.

yellow_peril likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Well, it's an improvement on no flights I guess, and potentially more convenient that the long and slow train journey, or long and potentially very slow car journey.

For someone commuting, this service does the job. LGW to Victoria or London Bridge is quick enough. But it's not good for people looking to connect to other destinations.

It would have been a good one for Cityflyer to cover, but BA presumably don't think they can make it work, even with the subsidy.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: GGLfL
It's ridiculous. It's barely better than nothing. Eastern to LGW is far worse that FlyBE (with a BA codeshare) to LGW, at least there were a range on onward connections back then. I suppose it does the job of allowing morning/evening flights to/from Cornwall. For onward connections it is more than useless. For anyone to the north of London it is useless.

Pity noone tried to resurrect Air Southwest, with a single aircraft going to LHR/MAN and serving pasties on board. Proper job.
MatJarosz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.