Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2020/21 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2021, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by BarelyBAGold
..... On boarding the aeroplane man in fedora now sat down in row 6 looked bemusedly at us as we took our own seats in row 1.........
Sadly I could never get the chance to employ one of these sting-in-the-tail revelations of my own DWKWIA behaviour. Club check-in for short-haul usually sees me heading back to the BTC rows. Fedora-man would have craned his neck to look at me smugly: not an ending to report.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
We know who you are now...

A good news story for a change, with a classic DYKWIA line (admittedly citing your mum is a bit sad...)

"Look up who my mum is - Baroness Scotland, I'm a gold card holder - go and get me a drink."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56956122
Old May 1, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
A good news story for a change, with a classic DYKWIA line (admittedly citing your mum is a bit sad...)

"Look up who my mum is - Baroness Scotland, I'm a gold card holder - go and get me a drink."

LOL reality show trash--never works out for them on the plane does it!?

but good to hear another season of too hot to handle is coming!!
Old May 1, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

Nothing in the coverage seems to suggest that BA has banned these muppets from flying with them. How often does the airline ban people? In this case they were abusive to not only the crew but other passengers, which surely warrants a ban.

Bob
asnovici, NoY, 1Aturnleft and 3 others like this.
Old May 1, 2021, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Bobbex
Nothing in the coverage seems to suggest that BA has banned these muppets from flying with them. How often does the airline ban people? In this case they were abusive to not only the crew but other passengers, which surely warrants a ban.

Bob
At the very least I'm sure this all meets the criteria of BAEC termination of membership. As that doesn't form part of the criminal proceedings it'll more than likely be handled out of the media spotlight.
NoY and EDIwanderer like this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; May 2, 2021 at 7:26 am
Old May 1, 2021, 4:57 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Is anyone else surprised the BBC hasn't banned the word "stewardess"?
Steve in Olympia and Keystone like this.
Old May 2, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by louie-m
I'm not but I am surprised that someone is trying to start a BBC Political Correctness argument in a DYKWIA thread.
Old May 2, 2021, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Smid
I'm not but I am surprised that someone is trying to start a BBC Political Correctness argument in a DYKWIA thread.
Except that it is quite relevant to the BBC news item under discussion.
Old May 2, 2021, 9:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Why would they?

​​​​​
NoY likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Had the opposite of a DYKWIA this morning.

Upon boarding, they asked 'Is this like, first class?'. It's Club Europe madam, you're seat is just there.

When the service began: 'Is this free?'. Yes madam. 'And drinks?' Yes.

Can only assume someone else booked her ticket.
Old May 2, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Had the opposite of a DYKWIA this morning.

Upon boarding, they asked 'Is this like, first class?'. It's Club Europe madam, you're seat is just there.

When the service began: 'Is this free?'. Yes madam. 'And drinks?' Yes.

Can only assume someone else booked her ticket.
... and having been that kindly uncle etc it is nice when they get the surprise of travelling at the front. I booked a favoured niece first class on a transatlantic flight home. She was on an extended travel (not quite a gap year) and we were meeting in Canada for a family significant birthday of an elderly relative and she had already been there for a few months. She had asked about routes/tickets home to the UK and I said I would sort something out and leave it to me.

In return I needed her to make sure that the birthday party had a few extra seats at the venue and she was to keep me informed and the secret that Mrs A and I were coming. We walked into the restaurant as they sat down to dinner - which was our treat.

I gave her a booking reference just before she departed to present at the airport - which was her treat!
Old May 2, 2021, 5:35 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by Smid
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Why would they?​​​​​
I wasn't trying to start an argument, but I am genuinely surprised that they used the word and to me it stuck out like a sore thumb. I thought that cabin crew or similar had been the accepted terminology for many years now. I haven't seen chairwomen or actress or similar gender specific words used by them for a long while and thought this would fall into the same category. Can't say I have an issue with any of those words, but I know many do.
Old May 3, 2021, 5:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I wasn't trying to start an argument, but I am genuinely surprised that they used the word and to me it stuck out like a sore thumb. I thought that cabin crew or similar had been the accepted terminology for many years now. I haven't seen chairwomen or actress or similar gender specific words used by them for a long while and thought this would fall into the same category. Can't say I have an issue with any of those words, but I know many do.
Steward / Stewardess is still widely used in the UK. It may not be "official" terminology these days, but I can't recall anybody I know in the UK ever referring to a Flight Attendant or Cabin Crew (except maybe on a FlyerTalk do!).
Scots_Al and alex67500 like this.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Actress is used all the time. Pretty sure an Oscar was given to the best one just the other day.
Old May 19, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Not really a DYKWIA but close

1863 yesterday NRSA boards, looks at first class turns around goes to the FA at the door and says I'm a NRSA there are empty first class seats Why wasn't I given one I'm a NRSA.

FA looks at her and just says GA assigns seats not her, and the NRSA women stormed off, got to row 4 and loudly proclaimed OH I AM IN 1st class and plopped down in 4D.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.